Moparts

Master Cylinder Push Rod?

Posted By: ccdave

Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 05/22/20 05:40 PM

Got bored during COVID19 and installed rear disc brakes on my 70 Challenger. Also received a new Strange Engineering 1 1/8' master cylinder that did not come with pushrod, boot and adapter. I purchased the 2 stud adapter and used the stock pushrod. Result: lot's of pedal travel. Some say to use and adjustable push rod to make up for the adapter plate. What has your experience been when installing these lightweight aluminum master cylinders??? Thanks !
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 05/22/20 06:54 PM

too much travel or pedal height too low?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 05/22/20 07:00 PM

As said already.. I make my own using a 3/8 pushrod and weld in the end that I need.. no more
than a small amount of slop
wave
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 05/22/20 07:04 PM

For an extra $15, the M/C kit with mounting parts is a deal. It's going to take some fabrication, a threaded pushrod and the right parts/retainers to make sure the pushrod is retained in the master cylinder correctly.

Typically I would cut and thread the original, use a long nut with a couple of jams to create a turnbuckle affair and use the adjustable rod the comes in the kit. You could probably use the two halves of the original and make it adjustable.

Did I say to make sure the retainer has a fresh rubber ring on it and is secure in the master cylinder?
Posted By: ccdave

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 06/26/20 07:17 PM

Problem is completely solved!!! I installed Wilwood brakes on all 4. Car stops like a new Corvette now!
Posted By: dvw

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 06/26/20 07:44 PM

Make sure the rod is either held in with urethane or you build a better up stop for the pedal. If the stop lamp switch bends or comes loose the rod backing out of the master cylinder is a real possibility. Had a friend have this happen last year. Crashed the car bad and was injured pretty bad as well.
Doug
Posted By: jbc426

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 06/27/20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by ccdave
Problem is completely solved!!! I installed Wilwood brakes on all 4. Car stops like a new Corvette now!

Glad it all worked out for you. An inch and an eighth is a pretty big bore MC. Pardon the barrage of questions that follow, but I'm interested. How is the pedal feel with the new set-up? Are the brakes touchy at all? Did you use/add a drum brake distribution block when you swapped in the new discs? Which brakes lock up first during hard braking?
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 06/28/20 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by dvw
Make sure the rod is either held in with urethane or you build a better up stop for the pedal. If the stop lamp switch bends or comes loose the rod backing out of the master cylinder is a real possibility. Had a friend have this happen last year. Crashed the car bad and was injured pretty bad as well.
Doug

Unfortunately, this is common. Saw a car go off the end of National Trail at the Mopar Nats and get totaled from the pushrod falling out.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Master Cylinder Push Rod? - 06/28/20 02:18 AM

Wilwood has a good setup for that. They have a washer that goes on the piston end of the rod and a snap ring that’s holds the washer in the bore. Can’t fall out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums