Moparts

Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stock?

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stock? - 04/23/20 10:23 PM

I'm finishing up building a 1966 Dodge Coronet Deluxe two door sedan with a 440 motor and O.D. 4 speed, I added the wiring harness to make it have stock type Mopar electronic ignition, I had to use a stock black OEM ECU to get it running due to having several bad ECU in stock so I'm asking which brand and part number do you guys like and use in a deal like mine help
A friend told me about a unit he use to use from Car Quest but he can't remember the part number and the local Car Quest store closed up several years ago so no way t ask them now help
Thanks in advance up
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 12:07 AM

I went round and round with my son on this. We tried a few OEM's we had here, worked a few days to 2 weeks at most. I made him a GM HEI modified ECU that looks 100% stock Mopar, it fried in 3 days. Put a Autozone unit in and it lasted 3 days.
Finely got him to replace his 0.3 ohm Pertronix coil to a 1.4 ohm FAST coil and he has maybe 1 month and 3,000 miles on the replaced Autozone 'BLUE' 4 pin made by Wells
Posted By: topside

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 12:26 AM

Standard LX-101 I bought is working fine. Got it from RockAuto.
Some guys like the MP chrome box, even on street cars, but I haven't ever tried one.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 11:22 AM

I was at Mopar Nats in the 90's with my blown 340. The orange box failed after it stormed at night. Ya back in day. Drove it from Detroit with no hood and no car cover. Put a junkyard box in it. Ran exactly the same
Doug
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 01:37 PM

I use an lx101 in both my cars. I've tried/used everything from a cheap proform, orange, chrome, Jacobs, to the latest FBO. for the money the lx101 is hard to beat. the chrome is (or was, don't know about the new stuff) a good box also.
Posted By: Mopar Guy

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 04:25 PM

Cab my favorit is revnator whit a msd coil and msd ballast for that coil ! Mine have 6-7 years in car and no issues and compared to the later mexico made MP crome box this is WAY better ! Thats my 2cent wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 04:54 PM

I went out to my shop and remembered ordering both Standard ignition LX101 and L100 ECU, there both on the shelf,man does it suck loosing your memory whiney I don't like having to use both stock ballast resistors on the five pin ECU so I will probably switch the wiring harness over to use the four pin with no ballast resistor or one, what ever works per the instructions wrench
I'm going to try both of them to see how they compare to the stock black Mopar ECU, my understanding is that the stock ones have a built in rev limiter of 6000 RPM, which might be a good thing in a 4 sped car work
Thanks to all of you for the help up
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/24/20 08:03 PM

iirc the LX101 is now made in china. the old one did have a good rep. I'd go with an HEI setup or a MP chrome box. As said get the right primary ohms coil
Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/25/20 03:41 AM

Cab, I've been running this one for a few years, car runs 11.0@121 with it. Made in USA from Jegs!

Part Number: 555-40805
JEGS 40805
$34.99 (9)
Ships Today
Lowest Price Guarantee
HiRev 7500® Ignition Control Unit
Modern Electronics with Mopar OEM Appearance
Comparable to Mopar Chrome Ignition Control Unit
7,500 RPM
Made in USA
Posted By: 7074cuda

Re: Mopar ECU replacement modules, who is better than stoc? - 04/25/20 09:04 AM

all my street cars have chrome boxes no issues also the Hi Rev is a good unit I bought several from Rick Erhrenberg well worth the $
© 2024 Moparts Forums