Moparts

Its Time To Build

Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 04:14 PM

I am so bored I think I will build a break in engine stand.. my last engine is basically done other
than getting PRs.. I have pretty much everything thats needed.. I need to look around to see
if I have a bell housing and a flywheel.. might be one in the pole barn.. any ideas on a trick one..
I use to have one years ago but sold it
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 04:46 PM

Wal Mart sells a kit, I have one in the box still due to a friend having one he loaned me one that he built and then moved to Texas and didn't want it anymore so I bought it cheap enough so I don't want to take the other one out of the box realcrazy
He made his for his BB Mopar only but making other mounts shouldn't be a big deal luck

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 05:07 PM

This will be for a SB but I'd like it to be universal to fit anything... I built up about 20 of dyno stands
when I was still at Chrysler.. those would fit anything
wave
Posted By: moparx

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 05:17 PM

please share pics if you do this mr. P. bow
beer

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 05:50 PM

Will do.. I'm looking for some trick ideas to make this thing nice.. I know on my last stand it had
just the minimum stuff on it to run a engine.. but I have also forgot a lot of stuff since then
so if any one has ideas throw them out there.. I know I will have to find a set of casters so this
will be moveable
wave
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 06:01 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 06:35 PM

Thanks for the pics.. couple of questions.. is that one a store bought one and did you run muffs
wave
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 07:00 PM

It belongs to my engine guy, Harry Schillings. He had a bunch of tubing laying around, and welded it all up. As far as mufflers go, he didn't use any. He just opened the door and pointed it outside. Its definitely overkill for a test stand, but that just how he is.

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 07:27 PM

It does look nice.. I figured it was from a store and it looks universal.. I wish I would have kept
my drawings from the ones I made at work.. I remember some of the details.. I think I will make
this new one like those.. I'll have to check what I have for tubing.. the other ones used 2X3 tubing
wave
Posted By: JAKE68

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 08:31 PM

MIKE, Just to let you know if you want I have a a run stand you can borrow any time you want. It gets used maybe 3 times year. Your more than welcome to use it.

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by JAKE68
MIKE, Just to let you know if you want I have a a run stand you can borrow any time you want. It gets used maybe 3 times year. Your more than welcome to use it.

Thanks much.. I may take you up on that.. would save me time.. I will still have to see if I have a bell
housing and a fly wheel to get it hooked up.. THANKS up
wave

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 10:11 PM

I wish I had a old stock conv that I could cut so I have a flex plate.. I have a trans case that I will
cut up.. trying to get this whole thing small enough and light.. all I have are 8" converters
wave
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 10:30 PM

Mike see if you can find an outdated Chevy type flywheels used on a powerglide to Mopar change over. I have one with elongated holes that I was going to use on my 80% finished engine stand. I’m going to sell mine but I’m to far away from you.

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/15/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Mike see if you can find an outdated Chevy type flywheels used on a powerglide to Mopar change over. I have one with elongated holes that I was going to use on my 80% finished engine stand. I’m going to sell mine but I’m to far away from you.

If you get out to your shop see if you can measure the OD on your plate.. I might be able to make one
wave

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/16/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

If you get out to your shop see if you can measure the OD on your plate.. I might be able to make one
wave

Mike I ran downstairs and took a couple pictures. My tape measure is out in the shop but it looks like using a 12 inch ruler to be 13 inches. It would be the same as a ring gear on a Mopar convertor. I posted a picture of some of the adapters for my different set ups.

Attached picture 137A80B8-DD6A-4A10-B4AD-792C9A51BF7E.jpeg
Attached picture 4113F796-34A0-48BD-830C-57682D524C96.jpeg
Attached picture 15F64A5C-7F38-4D8B-B8CC-43CDC6377E7A.jpeg

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/16/20 02:51 AM

How much are you looking for to sell it.. where did you get it at
wave

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/16/20 03:15 AM

How much are you looking for to sell it.. where did you get it at
wave

Mike if I sell it I gotta get 250.00 out of it but I won't ship it. It comes with a flywheel that has egged holes on it but would work great for a stand, An adapter I bought from a moparts member to mount a starter on a big block mopar, and a set of small gauges I bought new for this stand. Wheels are already welded on and as you can see from the pictures the legs extend out for stability. I bought the plans from a guy on Ebay.

[Linked Image]New engine breakin bench 003 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

[Linked Image]engine stand 002 by John Cadamore, on Flickr

[Linked Image]engine stand 001 by John Cadamore, on Flickr
Posted By: sr4440

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/16/20 02:27 PM

you can buy a new flywheel at jegs $96, add some $3 trinket for free shipping.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601400/10002/-1

Joe

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/16/20 02:56 PM

Really thats all I need to attach the engine to a trans set up.. I think I will look into that.. thanks
wave
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/18/20 02:03 AM

I thought I read somewhere that you needed to use a 130 tooth flywheel in an auto trans housing... Maybe someone can confirm?

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/18/20 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader
I thought I read somewhere that you needed to use a 130 tooth flywheel in an auto trans housing... Maybe someone can confirm?

That would be good to know.. thanks for the info
wave

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/18/20 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 440_Offroader

Can someone confirm this.. I'll be cutting down a auto trans housing and using a flywheel .. thanks
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/18/20 05:42 AM

I used a empty B/RB 727 case with the front part, ring gear part, of a blown up 8 inch converter to start and run one motor on a engine dolly to check it for oil leaks, it worked well up
Posted By: Moparrob68

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 02:13 AM

I built mine using the base from an old Mopar MDS computer stand. Cut an old 12" converter in half and drilled a flex plate for dual 6 and 8 bolt pattern. First version didn't clear the TTI Hemi headers, so I swapped them side to side.

Attached picture IMG_2737.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2740.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2741.jpg
Attached picture IMG_2745.jpg

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 02:24 AM

Version 2.0 I built to clear the TTI headers with the trans mount attaching to the pan rail. It also doubles as a transport stand on dyne day. I used C channel that locks into the bed liner groves.

Attached picture IMG_3815.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3816.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3931.jpg
Attached picture IMG_3987.jpg

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 02:32 AM

Had a couple big blocks on it too.

Attached picture IMG_4001.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4336.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1359.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1505.jpg

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 02:36 AM

Even welded up some small block mounts

Attached picture IMG_4386.jpg
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 10:22 AM

I am so bored I think I will build a break in engine stand.. my last engine is basically done other
than getting PRs.. I have pretty much everything thats needed.. I need to look around to see
if I have a bell housing and a flywheel.. might be one in the pole barn.. any ideas on a trick one..
I use to have one years ago but sold it
wave

Ive got a coupld engines Id like to run in
And it would be cool to test out six pack stuff
without leaning over fenders .

Wish i could bite the bullet and buy a easy run

Saw this at Carlisle
Years in a row ..

Attached picture EF038787-49A6-4A6B-A78A-BD59078BF2EA.jpeg

Re: Its Time To Build - 04/19/20 04:03 PM

Thats a good looking setup up