Moparts

oxy/acetylene heating Q

Posted By: RapidRobert

oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 02:58 PM

I have some rear shackles that I need to remove from the leafs & the nuts are solid tight & I dont want to break em off & ruin it. My nut cracker is broken so can I heat the nut with the hot wrench cherry red then remove it or will that weaken the bolt? thank you for your time
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:09 PM

The shackle is just cold roll material
wave
Posted By: dvw

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:11 PM

It'll be fine. If in doubt, replace the nut.
Doug

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:12 PM

I worried that if I heat the nut cherry red that it will weaken the bolt that it is on. Am I worried over nothing?
Posted By: A/MP

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:19 PM

I use strong heat when nothing else works. Since you are going to heat them, try this first. Heat them enough so that they start to smoke, something other than burning off road debris. When hot enough, melt wax from the top down, crayon works. The wax runs down the threads and allows for the break. Works 90% of the time. If not, you are close to half way there with the heating.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:19 PM

Your over thinking it.. heat it up
wave
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:30 PM

Rubber/urethane bushing? I wonder if it's true. I was told if you breathe burning urethane it will kill you.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:45 PM

Fuel tank is right there Robert, so be careful.

Just heat the nut, not the bolt.

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:45 PM

the nut is on the other side of the shackle flat piece so I think I'm good on the fumes (if I work fast). I dont have a crayon handy so I will go ahead & heat it up. Thanks guys up
Posted By: moparx

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 03:51 PM

either one inhaled ain't good for you !
i use the heat/wax, birthday candle, crayon trick all the time. that works GREAT ! i removed all the tiny slot screws from the cowl vent screen from my 1933 dodge "humpback" panel delivery project using this method, and half of them had the screwdriver slot in the screw head almost rusted away.
beer
Posted By: Twostick

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
either one inhaled ain't good for you !
i use the heat/wax, birthday candle, crayon trick all the time. that works GREAT ! i removed all the tiny slot screws from the cowl vent screen from my 1933 dodge "humpback" panel delivery project using this method, and half of them had the screwdriver slot in the screw head almost rusted away.
beer

Put the fire to the flat side of the nut until it shows some color and spin the nut off. Don't use your fingers... lol.

If it doesn't go well, new shackles aren't that expensive.

Kevin
Posted By: rickraw

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 05:38 PM

X2 on using wax. I use gulf wax, never had rusted nut or bolt not come apart. Just heat & apply nurmerous times.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 06:43 PM

Maybe you should consider getting a new nut splitter?
Posted By: rickraw

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 07:19 PM

Never really needed one for 45yrs.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 07:58 PM

PB Blaster is a good product to help get stuff apart...if it's salvageable. Sometimes new parts are the correct answer.

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/14/20 08:01 PM

I'll get on it, I appreciate the advice/help. Thank you!
Posted By: randavis

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 03:37 PM

Sometimes, two heat cycles will work. I used to work at and asphalt plant and most of it was bolted together. Everything rusted. We would heat the nut to the point that some color appeared and then let it air cool. Then we would heat it up again and put a wrench on it. I don't know why it worked, it just did.

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 03:45 PM

I couldn't find a nut splitter on hand locally so I will try that
Posted By: bobby66

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 03:59 PM

That candle trick is pretty slick. Or give it a good soaking in Aero-Kroil..... work
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 04:20 PM

I had a stuck nut on a shackle and it was rounded over. I took my MIG and welded two wings on the nut so a ViceGrip had some thing to grab on to. This got the nut real hot. While still very warm I sprayed PB Buster on the threads, let cool and it spun off real quick. Then just replaced the nut with a stainless steel one.
Posted By: moparx

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 05:09 PM

the only drawback with using stainless fasteners, is you MUST use [lots of] anti-seize to prevent the threads from galling.
just 45+yrs of experience using stainless fasteners.
beer
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: oxy/acetylene heating Q - 04/15/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
I worried that if I heat the nut cherry red that it will weaken the bolt that it is on. Am I worried over nothing?

1. The rust has compromised the strength more than the heat will. Go for it. Does not need to be glowing cherry red . Stop When you see it start to change color. A couple of heat cycles will help.

2. The crayon/wax trick works.

3. Make your own very effective penetrating oil with tranny fluid and acetone.
© 2024 Moparts Forums