Moparts

degree cam

Posted By: bonefish

degree cam - 04/06/20 12:26 PM

is there a diff in degreeing at the lobe VS at the lifter,BB solid roller.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 02:00 PM

“At the cam” would be with a lifter, or some sort of tool that simulates the lifter.

Any numbers you got by trying to use the end of an indicator on the lobe would be pretty much useless.
Posted By: jwb123

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 02:06 PM

I have been degreeing cams for a long time, and when this tool came out, I bought one. It works very well, makes the process a lot easier, and you don't have to worry about a magnetic base slipping or the lifter hanging in the bore. It expands in the lifter bore, and is spring loaded, works super.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Camshaft-Dial-Indicator,9868.html?sku=58666838&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8bXX4_vT6AIVE8JkCh1eHQCXEAQYAiABEgIkcvD_BwE
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 03:21 PM

^^^ it says fits gm/furd lifter .842"/.875" bores. I'm assuming it expands enough to fit ours
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
^^^ it says fits gm/furd lifter .842"/.875" bores. I'm assuming it expands enough to fit ours

This one fits Mopars.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-66843

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 04:03 PM

Thank you John

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 04:17 PM

Thank you John

You are very welcome. I have both of them as I degree in Cams for some Chevy and ford friends and you will love it. It makes the job so much easier.

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 04:25 PM

John it sounds like a must have tool (ain't they all!)

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 04:37 PM

John it sounds like a must have tool (ain't they all!)

Man I love tools. I don’t use them all but I gotta have them. Next big purchase if cronaviras doesn’t get me will be Harbor Freights big horizontal metal saw. I’ve had my eye on it. Man I’m addicted to buying LED flashlights.

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 05:16 PM

thanks, up
Posted By: madscientist

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

This one fits Mopars.

Does that fit in a small block with the dial indicator on it???? Seems like it’s awful long and the indicator would hit the block.

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by madscientist

This one fits Mopars.

Does that fit in a small block with the dial indicator on it???? Seems like it’s awful long and the indicator would hit the block.

Yep it works great on small blocks. I just did my new 408 a few weeks ago

Attached picture 285CA6DA-D53C-43D7-A17E-4249E5AD7631.jpeg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 05:46 PM

I use to always check the lobe separation angle at the retainers, same on verifying cam timing until one of the racer reps at Comp said that is not the way they want you to check the cam lobes due to rocker arm ratio affecting the cam timing, which it does work
I now check the cam timing on the lifters (and adjust the cam timing as needed) and verify the cam advance on the lobe centers by verifying the intake lobe center first and then both of them after I get the intake lobe where I want it by checking them at the retainers and then verifying the exhaust lobe separation angle to make sure the lobe separation angle is ground correctly on every cam up If the cam is ground on a 108 LSA and it is installed at 4 degrees advance so the intake lobe center is at 104 degree after top dead center the exhaust lobe max lift, lobe center, should be at 112 degrees BTDC scope If it isn't like that the cam LSA is ground wrong. down
I've had several custom ground "racing" cam that where not ground on the LSA that was on the cam card puke down
I also check the LSA at .050, .100 and .200 before and after max lift on all the lobes I check thumbs If the lobes are within one degree of each other at all three checking LSA heights I use that cam up
You can't be to careful work
Posted By: poboyengineering

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 06:51 PM

This one fits Mopars.

I love that pointer. smile

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 07:01 PM

LOL. That pointer is custom made and has more cam degree credits than I care to divulge. LOL
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 08:31 PM

I have three pointers like that one made out of coat hangars, works good, last a long time up
Adjustable too whistling grin
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 10:38 PM

I'm selling Timing wheel pointers just like that one for $25 and I'll throw in a roll of TP. wink

Re: degree cam - 04/06/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dave_J
I'm selling Timing wheel pointers just like that one for $25 and I'll throw in a roll of TP. wink
the way things are goin it might be worth it.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: degree cam - 04/07/20 12:59 PM

Yes, that lifter bore tool is a must have if you do any cam degreeing IMO. Bought one years ago, love it.
Posted By: moparx

Re: degree cam - 04/07/20 05:02 PM

Man I’m addicted to buying LED flashlights.

me too ! laugh2 but i wished hobo fright would offer a 14" metal cutting cold saw.
i have looked on line at a bunch, and i'm not real satisfied with what i see, no matter what the cost is.
well, that is excluding those for $800.00 plus.

i'm almost tempted to build one, but i have too many projects now as it is !
beer
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: degree cam - 04/16/20 10:09 PM

This one fits Mopars.

Does anyone know of one of these that fits a .937 lifter bore?

I have tried one of the Proform "universal" checkers and it does not fit well.

Thanks!
Posted By: jwb123

Re: degree cam - 04/16/20 11:03 PM

I have one of the proform universal checkers, you have to expand it to its maximum but it has worked well for me. expand it slowly and rock it a little, until it gets tight in the lifter bore.
I am just so used to, that everything is built to fit a Chevy, and you have to fiddle with it for a Mopar.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: degree cam - 04/17/20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by jwb123
I have one of the proform universal checkers, you have to expand it to its maximum but it has worked well for me. expand it slowly and rock it a little, until it gets tight in the lifter bore.
I am just so used to, that everything is built to fit a Chevy, and you have to fiddle with it for a Mopar.
On my bushed R3 block if the checker is loose enough go in its very wobbly at the bottom with no way to tighten it up.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: degree cam - 04/17/20 03:10 PM

Made my own 25 years ago for solid lifter and roller.Home made piston stop for when the head is on up

Attached picture 4.6.12 (11).jpg
Attached picture 4.6.12 (11).jpg

Re: degree cam - 04/18/20 01:46 PM

where did you get that long extension on the top. mine didnt come with that.im using mine on a world alum. block and the guage hits the block so i have to turn it away from me to make it work.it still works great just a bit of a pain.

This one fits Mopars.

© 2024 Moparts Forums