Moparts

High volume water pumps

Posted By: General 68

High volume water pumps - 02/08/20 11:06 PM

I wonder if I need a high volume water pump. I have ran two different bb's, 440 and 512 in my car and both experienced the normal 180 temp to rise quite a bit past 200 when idling in heavy traffic and uplining at the track. So far no overheating. Temp cools down when revving or getting up to speed. Two different radiators. First stock 3 row 26". Then alu 2 row with bigger tubes. No change. Run stock water pump, 7 blades I think. Tried different fan clutches. 7 blade oem fan, shroud with the fan about in the middle, 1" distance between clutch an radiator. Playing with timing and mixture makes no difference. What do you think? Any prefered pumps? Was looking at Milodon high volume pump with aluminum housing. Any experience with this pump?
Thanks
Posted By: madscientist

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/09/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by General 68
I wonder if I need a high volume water pump. I have ran two different bb's, 440 and 512 in my car and both experienced the normal 180 temp to rise quite a bit past 200 when idling in heavy traffic and uplining at the track. So far no overheating. Temp cools down when revving or getting up to speed. Two different radiators. First stock 3 row 26". Then alu 2 row with bigger tubes. No change. Run stock water pump, 7 blades I think. Tried different fan clutches. 7 blade oem fan, shroud with the fan about in the middle, 1" distance between clutch an radiator. Playing with timing and mixture makes no difference. What do you think? Any prefered pumps? Was looking at Milodon high volume pump with aluminum housing. Any experience with this pump?
Thanks

Yes. And make sure the pump is turning crank speed or faster.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/09/20 12:46 AM

I’m running a Flowkooler, best one I’ve tried and I’ve run stockers and Edlebrocks. It won’t solve a cooling system issue caused by a different part, but they do flow well, and it lessened my issue (same as yours) by at least 5 degrees.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/09/20 02:17 AM

I use a 6 cylinder pulley that is smaller in diameter.Stock aluminum housing and pump with a $200 aluminum Afco rad and single Spal pusher fan. It's all in the combo grin

Attached picture 8.3.17 001.jpg
Attached picture 8.26.17 011.jpg
Posted By: duspan

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/10/20 01:10 AM

flow kooler water pump also a hi flow thermostat and a upper pulley bigger than bottom pulley or at least same size!
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/10/20 01:27 PM

I've used the Flow-Kooler and Milodon HV water pumps w/ good results. Make you use a high flow/balance flow thermostat like a Robert Shaw.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/10/20 09:20 PM

Exact same issues with the wife's 440 Six Pack Challenger.
Not sure if it's a coolant flow or air flow issue or both.
Engine is fresh mild build with stealth heads.
I have the timing set very mild and the carb(s) jetting/adjustment seems good.

Outside temperature is a big factor.
In cooler temps with low humidity no issues anytime.
In hot, humid 85 plus degree weather is when the engine heats up when sitting.
Driving/moving around in any temp it stays at 180 all the time.
When it's hot out if sitting idling or stuck in heavy traffic temps will creep up eventually getting to 200 plus.
As soon as the car gets moving again temp gets back down to 180 pretty quick.
Engine temps always stay at 180 on the highway.

I've tried a high flow 160 thermostat with new factory custom built 26" 4 core radiator using a factory shroud, aluminum pump housing and HD water pump with 7 blade factory fan with no clutch.
Then went with a new aluminum 26" radiator and high flow Flow Kooler water pump with coolant recovery tank/system.
This made a slight improvement but temps still creeped up when sitting at idle on hot days.

So what is working the best is I added a pusher fan in front of the radiator.
I currently have the fan on a toggle switch and turn it on when the engine temp gets just under 200.
The fan gets the engine temp down pretty quick and the temp stays down as long as the fan stays on.
When I do tuning on the car I turn the pusher fan on and can work on the car sitting at idle indefinitely.
I would like to get an adjustable fan controller installed and keep the toggle switch as a backup.

Attached picture fan1.jpg

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/11/20 05:33 AM

Good info! I'll Try av Flow Kopler first, but I have a feeling it also is a fan/air problem.
Posted By: mopar dave

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/11/20 01:22 PM

Really not hurting anything at 200*. My filled 511 would run 218* going down the road and it never hurt anything. I was using Evans coolant and a good oil (Amsoil) at the time. Had Milodon HV water pump and twin electric spal fans. If I stopped, the temp would pull right back down to the 200 range. I removed the electric fans and reinstalled flex fan with shroud and temps would stay in the + or - 200 range depending on air temp. I reinstalled bigger electric spal fans for this next season. Will see how it goes. Yeah, 200* I wouldn't worry about. Put some Evans waterless coolant in there and no worry about boil over til 374* or in our world, never.
Posted By: Neil

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/11/20 06:19 PM

The Edelbrock pumps with the long curved blades move a lot more fluid for each rotation vs the stock type straight blade pumps. They are $$$, but do work well.

The high flow T-stat is a must do item with these.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/11/20 07:20 PM

What are you guys calling a "high flow" thermostat? Pictures will help help
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/11/20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
What are you guys calling a "high flow" thermostat? Pictures will help help

Also called balance flow.

Attached picture thermostat.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/12/20 02:38 PM

i second the 200+ [a little] as no concern.
beer

Re: High volume water pumps - 02/12/20 07:50 PM

Sure 200 + some won't hurt anything. It is more a peace of mind thing. I will never be happy with 200+ and still creeping temps when stuck in traffic or lining up at the track😋
© 2024 Moparts Forums