Moparts

Valve job secrets?

Posted By: Fishmarket

Valve job secrets? - 03/24/09 04:02 AM

How about sharing some of those valve job angles and tricks that nobody wants to give out? I'm tinkering with a set of 6077 sb eddys for a 418CI street strip motor. I'm thinking of using some 2.055 valves and want to get an idea of what works.
Come on! I'm really starting to miss all of that really technical stuff and pics of ported heads that drew me to this site a few years ago...
Posted By: goldmember

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/24/09 04:14 AM

Good luck.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/24/09 10:56 PM

all jokes aside.... it seems everyone wants to show you how "pretty" their port work is, or tell us about every "big brown truck" that comes along. BUT, trying to squeeze that info might be like taking a banana from a monkey!
Posted By: Dartacus

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:03 AM

Go to www.speedtalk.com and you will find alot of information and people willing to answer your questions there.
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:24 AM

What secrets?Pick the valve size and angles that best suit your application or class rules.Keep the seat concentric and narrow.Check for good seal.Everything else is mathmetical measurements and pressures and geometry.Determine flow for cam,compression and engine size as well as induction.
Posted By: tjmarcus1

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:45 AM

Quote:

What secrets?Pick the valve size and angles that best suit your application or class rules.Keep the seat concentric and narrow.Check for good seal.Everything else is mathmetical measurements and pressures and geometry.Determine flow for cam,compression and engine size as well as induction.

see what i mean?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:54 AM

There have been MANY hours and dollars of testing
to find the best flow and you exspect them to just
give it out .... buy their valve job and get out the
measuring equipment

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

see what i mean?

What? That covered a lot,anything else,you gotta pay for!!!Go to Mondello's school and see what it cost you
Posted By: S/ST 3040

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 01:06 AM

FYI, Serdi is running a special.........

Drawing fees waived on custom seat cutters.

6-10mm carbide pilots are $89.99

20% off on 5 or more items on Serdi repair parts.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 01:12 AM

Quote:

FYI, Serdi is running a special.........

Drawing fees waived on custom seat cutters.

6-10mm carbide pilots are $89.99

20% off on 5 or more items on Serdi repair parts.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

My guy Randy just got the newest state of the art Serdi,I'am not allowed near it.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 01:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

see what i mean?

What about the weird wild wide world of "A" symmetrical valve work?

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 01:23 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

see what i mean?

What,s Azzsymmetrical,I still use an old Sunnen orbital
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

see what i mean?

would that be 75degrees, 42 degrees and 29 degrees
Posted By: Bill MeLater

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 03:06 AM

That, apparently is the secret....
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 03:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

see what i mean?

would that be 75degrees, 42 degrees and 29 degrees

Nope
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 03:21 AM

How aboiut cutting a lot of angles into the valve job?

Like 8 instead of 3?
Posted By: runya

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 03:30 AM

Crap..... know wonder I can't break into the 9's my concentrics are all wrong.
Bob if I box up my heads can you correct my geometry's and fix my cam angles?
Posted By: Irun5snd8th

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 05:37 AM

Coatings of valves and seats are allowing much steeper valve angles that live and make serious HP improvements. Don't remember the exact numbers on the angles but they have seen 40-50 HP increases on the dyno by changing angles at a engine shop here in Indiana.
Posted By: RyanJ

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 12:56 PM

Not that these #'s are going to do you alot of good unless you are willing to go have custom seat cutters made but... if you wanted to see some tech info....

Here's the seats that made 770HP with a set of 59* INDY heads...

Intake: 8MM radius,40*~.060" wide, 45* seat .051" wide, 60* .090" wide, & 72.5& bottom.... That cutter left with sharp 72.5 will be right at 90% throat at bottom of the 72.5 with proper bowl & valve sizing.

Exhaust: 8MM radius, 40* ~.040" wide, 45* seat .051" wide, 60* bottom. Blend everything away by had except the 45....I use that exhaust cutter on anything that I use a 45 seat on.

Good intake seat for an Edelbrock: 4MM radius, 35* ~.060" wide, 45* seat .051" wide, 60* ~.090" wide, 72.5-75 bottom. Set throat at 90%, intentionally sink seat until 35 degree top cut is ~.030"-.040" wide, & sink exhaust seat to match. I've had E heads go 9.80's @ 131 @ 3020 lbs with a 410" roller motor & 10.01 @ 129 @ 3000 with a flat tappet 408 with that basic valve seat cut on it. So if you can't make power with it, your problem is'nt in the VJ widths/angles.

My 50IN/50EX

52IN/55EX cutters are pirated from a Nascar shop & I won't be divulging those #'s. Only use that stuff on heads that have combustion chambers designed for it, raised ports, & alot of cam lift & ramp speed. Have never tried that stuff on the more pedestrian heads because I don't believe it will work, although if someone wants to take a gamble on their stuff someday I'll try it. I've found that sticking to "basics" usually makes more power than playing with the "trick of the week" sometimes. The simplest most basic motors I've done have made best power.....
Posted By: SB449VALIANT

Re: Valve job secrets? - 03/25/09 04:05 PM

stop doing that, or iam going to spell all the beans....
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Valve job secrets? - 04/06/09 03:38 AM

Quote:

stop doing that, or iam going to spell all the beans....

You just "spelled" "all the beans"
Posted By: Dartacus

Re: Valve job secrets? - 04/06/09 11:38 PM

Actually on some port configurations with a steep short turn radius, I've found that varying the seat angle anywhere from 43 degrees on one side of the seat to 54 degrees to the other side produces impressive results. The angle under the seat has to vary also but I won't elaborate on those angles. I have gotten as much as 346 cfm out of a set of 906's by varying the angles.
© 2024 Moparts Forums