Moparts

Wrist pin lenght

Posted By: dart_73_br

Wrist pin lenght - 01/19/20 01:00 PM

Hello, I need your opinion on this.

Stock pin is 2.75" long. Want to run some boosted application and found some 2.65" pins that handles 300hp each.
So there Will be a 0.10" difference 0.05" each site. Do your think this room to spiro locks can created some problem or no problem here?

Br
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/19/20 01:47 PM

I would not be concerned with the difference in length as much as the difference in weight.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/19/20 06:31 PM

I have always read and been told that the locks should fit to the pins fairly snug. Any free space can result in the pin beating the locks out of the groove. You can use a short pin, but the piston needs to be machined to match it.

I'm not the sharpest engine guy, but I pay attention. Will see if the sharp guys agree.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/19/20 08:10 PM

How much thicker are the new pins and what material are they made from?
Blower motors need strong stiff wrist pins to keep them from bending and hurting the motor.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/20/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
How much thicker are the new pins and what material are they made from?
Blower motors need strong stiff wrist pins to keep them from bending and hurting the motor.

BENDING wrist pins ? Is that a common accordance in Bend, OREeGONE ?

Good to see ur not BENDING THE RULES on smilie limits per post ! ..

But zErO smilies?.... is ur keyboard mAlFuNcTiOnInG ? whistling xmaseek
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/20/20 01:43 PM

You can absolutely bend wrist pins. Using “standard” pins does result in smile shaped wrist pins. I’ve had to cut out more than one set in two different engines.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/20/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by dart_73_br

Stock pin is 2.75" long. Want to run some boosted application and found some 2.65" pins that handles 300hp each.
So there Will be a 0.10" difference 0.05" each site. Do your think this room to spiro locks can created some problem or no problem here?

Br
I would not use them in a piston that was not designed for them or at least modified.
Posted By: dart_73_br

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 01/28/20 09:28 AM

Hello,

new pins are H13 0.210" wall. Stock is 0.150". As this will ne a boosted application some friends suggested to upgrade piston pin.

http://blog.diamondracing.net/when-to-upgrade-wrist-pins
Posted By: LSP

Re: Wrist pin lenght - 02/09/20 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by dart_73_br

Br

DO NOT use a 2.650" long pin in a piston made for a 2.750" long pins, ever.

The question isn't if, but how many pistons you'll throw on the track if you assemble your engine that way.
© 2024 Moparts Forums