Moparts

Push rod question

Posted By: 6PAX

Push rod question - 11/25/19 03:34 PM

Is it necessary to pre-oil new push rods before installing them? I installed a new set of push rods along with the rocker arm assemblies on a new engine I am putting together (my first) and a friend of mine asked if I pre-oiled the push rods by dunking them in oil. I didn't as I hadn't heard of this. I lubed the ends with assembly grease and am going to pre-oil the motor with a priming rod so I don't really understand the point in dunking them in oil. Is there any need to do as he suggested or will it be O.K. as-is? It took some time to get all of the rocker arms set properly so I would hate to have to take them all off to get the push rods out just to dunk them in oil but I will if I have to.
Posted By: sam64

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 03:44 PM

I would say if you lubed the ends you are good to go.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by sam64
iagree up
OP, your buddy is probably a Ford or GM type engine guy , those motors use pushrod oiling to the rocker arms . Most Mopar V8 (except Magnum SB) don't so your good as long as your using a single shaft type rocker arms thumbs
I do prime all my new motors with the spark plugs out in the car so I can spin the motor over several times on the starter to make sure all parts get oil pressure to them while rotating and I use a lot of oil and special lubes where require when assembling them wrench
Posted By: CSK

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by 6PAX
Is it necessary to pre-oil new push rods before installing them? I installed a new set of push rods along with the rocker arm assemblies on a new engine I am putting together (my first) and a friend of mine asked if I pre-oiled the push rods by dunking them in oil. I didn't as I hadn't heard of this. I lubed the ends with assembly grease and am going to pre-oil the motor with a priming rod so I don't really understand the point in dunking them in oil. Is there any need to do as he suggested or will it be O.K. as-is? It took some time to get all of the rocker arms set properly so I would hate to have to take them all off to get the push rods out just to dunk them in oil but I will if I have to.

I also like to roll the motor while priming the oil pump, that way it oils the top end.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by sam64

iagree
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 08:43 PM

On a side note a BB oils the rockers when the #8 and the #6 cyls are at TDC and a non magnum SB oils the pass rockers at 90 (1/4) turn BTDC #1 compression and the driver side rockers oil at 20 ATDC #6 compression
Posted By: CSK

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert
On a side note a BB oils the rockers when the #8 and the #6 cyls are at TDC and a non magnum SB oils the pass rockers at 90 (1/4) turn BTDC #1 compression and the driver side rockers oil at 20 ATDC #6 compression

Thanks RR, I had forgotten the deg where it oils.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Push rod question - 11/25/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by RapidRobert

if you groove the # 4 cam journal the width of the oil hole and .030 deep in the cam it will oil the rocker shafts full time work
A must do on any motor running a solid roller cam or any other cam that needs for or has 400+ Lbs. valve spring pressure open twocents
The extra oiling will help cool the valve springs making them live longer up
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: Push rod question - 11/26/19 03:04 PM

GM or Ford guy who is used to using pushrod guide plates to position the pushrod on stud mounted rockers.
© 2024 Moparts Forums