Moparts

CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS

Posted By: A/MP

CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 04:00 AM

Came across a few door car that would make a good drag car. Tried to find something in the NHRA rule book but nothing specific unless you consider a door car a roadster or altered. Some of the nostalgia gas association definitely say no. I've seen some Jeep CJ's as drag cars with no top. I'd have to guess that a full roll cage would be mandatory if I were 10.00 and slower. Any answers?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 05:13 AM

FWIW, 1969 rule book says roll bars required in all convertibles, except in stock class.
Posted By: cgall

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 01:42 PM

In the safety regulations section of the NHRA rule book, it says a roll bar is required in all convertibles running faster than 13.50. Faster than 10.00 requires a full cage. In Stock and Super Stock you must run with the top up. Brackets and Super classes you can remove the top.
Posted By: Tommy D

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 03:16 PM

...but you'll need arm restraints and a full cage with no top.
Posted By: second 70

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 04:07 PM

Hemi Joel ran his Hemi GTX convertible at drag week and 13.50 was the fastest he could run without a cage.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/14/19 07:31 PM

I would guess that some major "adjustments" will be needed to install any pre-cut commercially available cage in a ragtop. The top lands where most of the upper halo goes, which means the halo must be narrower/shorter/lower, different intersect angles.
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/16/19 05:23 PM

Not sure why you would want to run a Convertible? My '69 Coronet Convertible weighs quite a bit more than my '69 Coronet Hardtop.
My convertible was built for crusing, but with a mild 505" engine and 5-speed manual trans, it runs in the 13's pretty easy on 255x60x15" BFG Radial TAs (hard street tires), at altitude here in mile high Denver/Bandimere.
I think the car is well over 4,000 pounds without driver.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/17/19 04:17 PM

I think if one raced a Mopar convertible a full cage would be desirable just to strengthen the body and prevent twist.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/17/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 451Mopar
Not sure why you would want to run a Convertible? My '69 Coronet Convertible weighs quite a bit more than my '69 Coronet Hardtop.
My convertible was built for crusing, but with a mild 505" engine and 5-speed manual trans, it runs in the 13's pretty easy on 255x60x15" BFG Radial TAs (hard street tires), at altitude here in mile high Denver/Bandimere.
I think the car is well over 4,000 pounds without driver.

Likely to run a certain class, based on factored horsepower and advertised shipping weight.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/17/19 07:24 PM

Many years ago people would argue that convertible tops would deform to a shape that was more aerodynamic than a solid steel top. I didn't race with a soft top, so I never got into that discussion one way or the other.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: CONVERTIBLES AS DRAG CARS - 11/17/19 11:31 PM

Adding a 12 pt cage and welding interior body parts like sheet metal of the interior, sail panel and front window trim should be more than sufficient.
© 2024 Moparts Forums