Moparts

Edelbrock bare blocks

Posted By: AndyF

Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 01:13 AM

I see that Edelbrock is now casting blocks. If they start making Mopar blocks that will be a game changer. I don't have any inside scoop but they did this with cylinder heads about 20 years ago. Started off making some Chevy heads then expanded into almost everything. I think that worked out pretty well for them so they might be thinking of doing the same thing with blocks.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 01:20 AM

Boy you had my hopes up when I read the thread title. I sure hope that Edelbrock will do something for the Mopar crowd.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 01:25 AM

I sure hope it’s nicer than the crap heads they are sending out the door. Pretty bad when you can buy a Chinese copy and it’s 10 times nicer.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I sure hope it’s nicer than the crap heads they are sending out the door. Pretty bad when you can buy a Chinese copy and it’s 10 times nicer.

Crappy in what regards??

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by Superfreak
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Crappy in what regards??

The casting were CRAP and I mean crap on the last set I bought. I did a post comparing a ProMax Head and an Edelbrock Head on Moparts with pictures and flow numbers from my bench. Th ProMax quality was way better and the flow numbers were too and I’m not talking a few cfm.
Posted By: A/MP

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 02:41 AM

They probably have a deal with NHRA to produce LEGAL NHRA S/SS blocks for competition.
Posted By: mr_340

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by A/MP
They probably have a deal with NHRA to produce LEGAL NHRA S/SS blocks for competition.

Does Edelbrock pour cast iron? I think they just pour aluminum. I don't think NHRA would approve aluminum blocks for Stock and SS.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by mr_340
Originally Posted by A/MP

Does Edelbrock pour cast iron? I think they just pour aluminum. I don't think NHRA would approve aluminum blocks for Stock and SS.

Looks like they have chevrolet cast iron blocks in their catalog
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 11:37 PM

They have the foundry skills and the machining skills. Now all we need is for them to have the want to.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/09/19 11:52 PM

From what I’ve seen, they sure look like the Brodix iron blocks.

No idea where they actually come from though.
Posted By: tex013

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/10/19 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth

They are supposed to be the same , Blueprint also , was a discussion on yellowbullet a couple months ago .

There must be a market for St/SST racers let alone bracket racers and even just street guys . Even a iron block with just cross bolted mains as a standard upgrade would be a good thing . Here in Oz a guy was advertising a stock 76 440 for nearly $4000 . Bare blocks are around $2000 .

Tex
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/10/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by tex013

They are supposed to be the same , Blueprint also , was a discussion on yellowbullet a couple months ago .

There must be a market for St/SST racers let alone bracket racers and even just street guys . Even a iron block with just cross bolted mains as a standard upgrade would be a good thing . Here in Oz a guy was advertising a stock 76 440 for nearly $4000 . Bare blocks are around $2000 .

Tex

Tex - do you have an approx cost to ship a 440 block from the states to Australia? Was just wondering that’s all.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/10/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Transman

Tex

Tex - do you have an approx cost to ship a 440 block from the states to Australia? Was just wondering that’s all.

At $2000 a pop maybe a sea can?

Kevin

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/10/19 03:37 AM

[/quote]

Tex - do you have an approx cost to ship a 440 block from the states to Australia? Was just wondering that’s all. [/quote]

No idea . Have to find someone bringing a container in , then add 10% gst
Not really enough demand here , chryslers only had small blocks here
A lot say they want a bb not many do , far less race them

Tex

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/10/19 02:25 PM

Tex

If I had to guess(which I am), I’d say Blueprint was the driving force behind those blocks coming to market.
Posted By: LA360

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/11/19 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Transman

Tex

About $2-400 Aud depending on who and where it's being shipped from too. East Coast of the US is usually a little more expensive. I had some R5 blocks, cranks etc shipped from Indianpolis, it was $400 per full crate.

As Tex eluded, you'll go broke trying to make money on BBM guys over here, there just isn't many of them really. A lot of Small Block and Hemi 6 stuff mainly
Posted By: Brian Hafliger

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/11/19 01:37 AM

PBM blocks are basicly the Brodix blocks...Brodix did make PBM make engineering changes to the blocks before they would sell them. From what I've heard, they are good for the money and better than Old iron, rated around 700-1000HP.
I'll bet those are what everyone's running unless Edelbrock is casting all new, which is $$$ so I'd be surprised to see that but ya never know!
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/13/19 05:25 AM

Dang! I'd order one tomorrow if they had a low deck!
Posted By: scottb

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 03:46 AM

I’ve heard they were in talks with mopar about the R3 core boxes but I’m not sure how far that went

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by scottb
I’ve heard they were in talks with mopar about the R3 core boxes but I’m not sure how far that went

You would think that would be a win win for both companies. Fingers crossed it comes true.

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by HOTMOPR
Dang! I'd order one tomorrow if they had a low deck!

The prices seem really fair to me. $2500 from Summit with free delivery. I'm pretty sure that if you could buy a new cast iron 4.500 inch bore Mopar block for that price that a lot of people would order them.
Posted By: RustyM

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 02:02 PM

Agreed Andy: I would purchase 2 units this week if they were good blocks at that price or, even close to that price.
Here are my hopes on this:
1. they do start making mopar big blocks.
2. that you can get one to build/test.
3. that the units are quality and they offer water jacket block good for 1000+ hp as well as a race only block good for big numbers.
4. common big block issues/solutions are addressed.
5. blocks come finished as standard, raw by order.

We have certainly gone pretty deep into the age of high hp being the new norm.
I can remember when 700 was very high, then 1000 etc- now we have that from the factory of with fine tuning factory offers.
With the ignition controls, fuel controls we have today, it would be really nice to have high and low deck blocks capable of over 1000 hp that don't break the bank , that are readily available.

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by RustyM
Agreed Andy: I would purchase 2 units this week if they were good blocks at that price or, even close to that price.
Here are my hopes on this:
1. they do start making mopar big blocks.
2. that you can get one to build/test.
3. that the units are quality and they offer water jacket block good for 1000+ hp as well as a race only block good for big numbers.
4. common big block issues/solutions are addressed.
5. blocks come finished as standard, raw by order.

We have certainly gone pretty deep into the age of high hp being the new norm.
I can remember when 700 was very high, then 1000 etc- now we have that from the factory of with fine tuning factory offers.
With the ignition controls, fuel controls we have today, it would be really nice to have high and low deck blocks capable of over 1000 hp that don't break the bank , that are readily available.

At any point I would think a race" block would be way down the bottom of choice for someone like edelbrock to produce . Don't forget they will need to warranty them . These blocks , chev . are NOT race blocks . They are replacement blocks with basic upgrades . You want race go specialty , aluminium and wait . as has been pointed out before . Smallest market don't spread the wants too thin . Factory 1000hp seems to be power adder . An up to date World/Mega type block will cover what ? 80% or more of people ?

Tex
Posted By: carter

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 10:07 PM

I hope for a
# Low deck
# 4.500 Bore
# RB Mains
# Cross bolted mains
and 80% of the BB crowd is covered......... Including Me wave

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 10:26 PM

Bulldog will be happy to supply you with one meeting that criteria.

But not for $2500.
Posted By: carter

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 10:45 PM

I have looked in to that road and backed out..... I guess its 4+ grand and still need machine work. frown

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/14/19 11:50 PM

Depends what you mean by race. Most of the guys on this board would be happy to have 800 hp in their race car. Looks to me like the Edelbrock blocks will handle 800 hp for many seasons. So if they made a $2500 block for the Mopar crowd that could handle 800 for 10 seasons I bet 80% of the racers would be happy. Sure it doesn't do anything for the guys who want 1000 or 1500 hp, but that is only a tiny part of the market.

I have no inside info on this deal, just thought it was interesting. The engine builder I work with was chomping on the bit when he saw Edelbrock blocks available from Summit with free shipping. He has bracket racers and boat guys who need new blocks and this gives him another nice option. Edelbrock starting making Chevy heads a few years back and I didn't think too much of it then all of sudden they were making heads for everything. Olds, Flathead Fords, Pontiac, etc.

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/15/19 12:31 AM

Tex: agreed in general.
1. 2 categories might sell more blocks in the mopar world- thus my thinking on offering a race block as well or "off road use only " grin.
I too was thinking about the numbers game .
2. yes, 1000 hp factory motors or, highly tuned factory offerings are generally supercharged . The point I was "poorly" getting at is that they have blocks that will meet those numbers.

opinion: we don't see much in racing of "old" era steel: Flathead 6's and 8's etc, few races and they are mostly for those that have the cars.
We will be in the same shape before long if we cannot find reliable blocks or, so it seems to me.
Every fast dodge/chrysler/plymouth will be a modern hemi or an ls motor ( uhg, great platform but i dont put them in anything but chevrolets if i have any say in the decision making) .
I think affordable blocks that will reliably hold 800-1000 hp will make a lot of difference in preserving Mopars in racing/trailer queens /street cars.
soon, most will be some brand of EFI and some will want low profile blower/pro chargers etc.
Thats just where i personally "think" i see things going.

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/15/19 12:34 AM

good points Andy.
I know we would be ordering .

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/15/19 01:05 AM

Mopar guys have always been known to get hung up and exaggerate horsepower numbers. Lots of 850 horsepower 10 second cars out there. Lol.

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/15/19 01:13 AM

It’s nice to daydream........ but I really don’t see Edelbrock marketing iron Mopar blocks.

IMO, the only reason Edelbrock is selling blocks....... is because they have them on hand anyway...... for these:
https://www.edelbrock.com/shop/crate-engines.html?cat=505&price=10000-20000
Posted By: HOTMOPR

Re: Edelbrock bare blocks - 11/15/19 02:59 AM

I want a 4.375 for all the boost.. punkrocka
© 2024 Moparts Forums