Moparts

Max compression on methanol?

Posted By: gregsdart

Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 01:42 AM

For a long time i believed the max compression for a normally s
Aspirated motor should be 15 to 15.5 to1. BUT, it was pointed out to me that head limited motors can get away with a bit more because they can't fill the cylinders to the same high percent as a motor with excelent heads. My situation is i am increasing displacement from 528 to 560 cube, and if i don,t cut the domes some the compression will jump from 15.1 to about 16 to 1. 440-1 fully ported alky megablock. .870 gross lift cam, 3x intake and alky injection. Best 8.77 at 3055 weight.
Thoughts?
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 02:33 AM

Way above my pay grade but isn't there a grade of methanol above the "regular " stuff that can support more compression? I thought I had read about some NA alcohol engines that were in the 16:1 range but I suspect it would be all about the combination, combustion chamber shape etc.

Kevin

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 02:42 AM

Maybe on the better methanol although i don't know how they would do it. From what i know of methanol, above a certain cylinder pressure before ignition the mixture has to be richened to increase detonation resistance. The power loss of the very fat mixture is offset by higher boost.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 05:18 AM

No personal experience but I know some Chebby guys that are serious bracket racers .... 16 to one with alum heads !

They love the combo !
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 04:22 PM

I've heard that 16 to 1 is the best for N/A drag racing also from some reliable sources that drag race on standard production methanol not M1 or M5 shruggy
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 04:25 PM

Call the fuel company tech line and see what they say. VP racing tech guys are super sharp so if you local track has VP fuel give them a buzz and see what they say.
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 08:35 PM

As much compression as you can make...16 to 1 is by all means not out of line on methanol. I have the understanding more compression = milder camshaft also when dealing with methanol or should I say an easier on parts type of camshaft. I am no rocket scientist but will be shooting for as much compression as I can get into my combo and it is injected alky. But there is alot of people that think over 14 to 1 is a waste...
Posted By: greendart408

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 09:12 PM

I was 15.3 with a sb, injected on alky. Ran real good, would run more next time.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 09:36 PM

I'm sure Top Alcohol cars are over 50 lbs of boost. I don't know how to calculate that to compression ratio but I'm guessing it's way over 25:1.

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/07/19 11:20 PM

Rick the tuning book i have says blown cars need a mixture of 3.7 to 4 or so to work with those extreme pressures. Normally aspirated equals 5.2 to 5.5. So i am thinking that at some po i n t in raising compression the overly rich mixture needed will cancel any power gains.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/09/19 11:01 AM

I run 12:1 static with a roots at 15 pounds. AF is generally in the high 4's
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/14/19 01:52 AM

If you are worried about the increase in c.r., can't you use a thicker head gasket to reduce it some?

Re: Max compression on methanol? - 11/14/19 02:12 AM

I could but i don't know what increasing quench distance will do. Plus the goal is to run as much compression as i can without shortening the life of the motor. Thicker gaskets also increase crevis volume which hurts performance from what i have read. The gaskets are 4.6 bore. So the plan is to run a .027 or .036 cometic and cut the dome which is .115 high and should give me enough to work with to bring it down to low 15 range. As is i suspect it will be about 16 to 1. I haven't had a chance to measure everything yet.
© 2024 Moparts Forums