Moparts

Speedworld dragstrip

Posted By: Crizila

Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 04:21 PM

Anybody ever raced there or know anything about this track? It's located in AZ, between Whitman and Phoenix just off of rte 60. I'm pretty sure it is a NHRA track. Went by it on vacation a few weeks ago, but they were closed. How's the track, pits, general operation, etc. Thanks for any input.
Posted By: Rodney

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 04:32 PM

here's there website
Posted By: RADAMX

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 04:49 PM

I love going to speedworld .
It is run as a local dragstrip and have a great concessions AKA "Food"
they run a lot of events through out the week .
Check out their schedule.
it is the farthest of the 3 strips here in AZ from me but I like it .
Elevation is about 1100 ft
firebird is about 2100 ft
SIR is 3045 ft.

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 06:12 PM

I know about Firebird, but where is the third track ( SIR ?) Kevin? Thanks for the web sight! We presently live in the Chicago area, but may be moving to Prescott / Pason in a year or so. Sounds like I may have to do a little rejetting, depending on what track I go to?
Posted By: RonP

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 06:14 PM

I liked it and ran there a good bit when stationed in Yuma. I liked it a lot better than trying to run at firebird.
Posted By: gsmopar

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 09:46 PM

I like the track, but....

It's a good drive from my side of the valley (about 85 miles 1 way).

The facilities are old. I've been there several times when the plumbing backed up ::stinky::. The announcer went as far as to ask people to NOT flush the toilets unless they took a dump.

Dirt Pits.

Summary: Good track prep, loose tech, nice people. Bad location (for me), stinky, need to do something about the poopers (a bunch more portable units would be a welcome change).
Posted By: Duner

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 10:08 PM

I've been going to that track for over 30 years.
(30 years ago you drove down a dirt road just to get to the track).

It's had it's ups and downs but the "family" atmosphere is nice. Track prep hasn't been a problem in years. They could use some improvements, but in this economy it's understandable that the money for those isn't in hand. I'll keep doing my part to support them. I enjoy racing there.

I live roughly 50 miles away. I raced there last weekend and the weekend before that. I live 3 miles from Firebird. I also really like SIR down south of Tucson.
Posted By: Chris'sBarracuda

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/20/09 11:23 PM

Bernie Longjohn runs it now..He came from LACR after it closed.
He's a good guy.
Yes it is old and needs improvement, but the track is always better than Firebird. That place is like a skating rink unless there is a big event.

I like Speedworld.

Chris..
Posted By: BobR

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/21/09 12:41 AM

Quote:

Bernie Longjohn runs it now..He came from LACR after it closed.
He's a good guy.
Yes it is old and needs improvement, but the track is always better than Firebird. That place is like a skating rink unless there is a big event.

I like Speedworld.

We ran there 3 weeks ago at the WCHRA event. The track was dicey at best but we generally like racing there. Like was said-the food is really good for a drag strip.
Posted By: 69L78Nova

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/21/09 02:04 AM

Ive been racing out there for 15 years. It has a good "down home" feeling, good track prep, and is 20 minutes from my house. There is always a good bunch of people out there, with a minimal amount of jap cars. I wouldnt race at Firebird again if it was free...and ya paid for my fuel
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/21/09 04:18 AM

There's only TWO tracks in AZ. Speedworld and SIR despite what others say. Both have great surfaces IMHO and both cater to the sportsman racer.

Re: Speedworld dragstrip - 03/23/09 01:33 PM

Thanks for the input all! Hope to run there in the future. Raced at my local track for 45 years! First pass in 64. It's a Mom & Pop track also - Clean, good track prep, no booze, paved pitts, well policed. I'm gonna miss it when we move. Sounds like Firebird has gone the way of many big time NHRA tracks ( we have one of those in our area also ) - not very user friendly.
© 2024 Moparts Forums