Moparts

Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover

Posted By: 68rtcharger

Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 06:47 PM

I really like the looks of a tall fabricated aluminum valve cover but cannot decide what look I want

Fathers day is here upon us and the Mrs said to pick whatever I want

Asking for yalls help and suggestions

Running factory green paint including the alum heads with Street Dominator intake and Holley EFI, Holley Hyperspark ignition
Also has a shiney a/c compressor from Vintage air

What do yall suggest? Please feel free to add pics if you like!!

Thanks
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 07:29 PM

I would peruse the pics of what is offered here & eBay & Mancini & jegs & see what strikes your fancy.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 07:35 PM

How about carbon fiber.

[img]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...a0ea9efa7f16e4c56754e8e8&oe=5D8A707D[/img]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 09:27 PM

I went with billet. Solved all my problems.

Attached picture DSC_9603 (Large).JPG
Posted By: BradH

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 09:32 PM

It's not that hard for me:
1. I rule out anything that I can get on eBarf for well under $100, since odds are good it's the same old Chi-Com crap floating around that so many people have bought... and later wished they hadn't
2. I rule out any type that costs more than about $200, which rules out most of the "boutique" billet ones
3. I rule out any type that has had multiple complaints posted on here about leaking or warped flanges
4. I rule out anything that says Mopar Performance on it

FWIW, I run the no-logo Indy cast valve covers, and there are probably very similar vcs available from other sources (and probably for less $, too).
Posted By: radar

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/30/19 11:32 PM

No fair Andy last time you posted your aluminum valvecovers you made it sound like they were custom whittled on a cnc mill for you! They are way too nice!

I never had ‘fabricated’ ones but I’ve always been a big fan of the M/T and Cal Customs covers. They seal great and look great. You can get a set used and do whatever you want- wrinkled with polished fins, blasted, wrinkle paint, fully polished.

I did have an issue on a smallblock with an airgap intake- the inner flange needed to be trimmed or the runners held it up just enough to leak oil out the back but only while driving- at idle they drained nicely. So watch out for that 👍
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/31/19 12:21 AM

Is "yalls" a real word ?!?!?
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/31/19 01:49 AM

I have these from Summit and they fit and don't leak. I had to enlarge the holes to get them to fit my Indy heads but that was no big deal to me shruggy

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/sum-440350/overview/

Gus beer
Posted By: Moparteacher

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 05/31/19 03:09 PM

I purchased valve covers made in Oklahoma by Doug Lee.
http://propan.net/products/big-block-mopar-440-valve-covers/
3/4" rail.
Nice, but expensive.

Next pair will probably be Trick Flow as long as they are still made in the states.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-61600802

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 12:35 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I am researching each one "Y'ALL" recommended. y'all and y'alls is as real as it gets down here smile
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 12:45 AM

most of the fabricated ones that use the long bolts and the covers have the bolt tube welded in usually don't match the bolt pattern I have found, so I have stayed with the Indy no logo cast covers myself.

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Is "yalls" a real word ?!?!?

I'm guessing y'all don't spend much time in the southeast part of the US... eh? grin
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 12:52 AM

Indy no logos with moroso blue gaskets for me...haven't leaked since input them.on three years ago.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 01:16 AM

Factory Chromed, use spacers if you need the rocker room.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY

Those would work for me if they kept their name off them....
Posted By: 383man

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 02:38 AM

I like these a lot. I got them from Mancini about three years ago for about $124. I believe. They have worked great for me and have not had any leaks. Ron

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 11:24 AM

When I started to go coil near plug EFI I wasn't sure what I wanted for a valve cover. So I bought some China Fab ones for $68 on Ebay and mounted my coils to them. They have a thin rail, and they aren't real flat. However they look good and seal up just fine. I see lots of places that put their name on what appears to be the same cheapo china cover.
Posted By: kowalski440

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 12:02 PM

I ran the MP cast ones with the fins and logo milled off. Came out looking stock-ish when painted, if you didn't look too close!

Attached picture pics 019.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 01:54 PM

has anyone used a bolt/weld on oil fill cap on the MP covers ? i hate the way the crooked fill cap looks when tight !
beer
Posted By: TonyS451

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by A39Coronet
Indy no logos with moroso blue gaskets for me...haven't leaked since input them.on three years ago.

Same set up for me and zero leaks. Would be nice if they came with a breather set up, but I guess everyone likes to do their own thing w that.
Posted By: 6pakdakota

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by kowalski440
I ran the MP cast ones with the fins and logo milled off. Came out looking stock-ish when painted, if you didn't look too close!

I might try that. It looks great
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 03:20 PM

I don't know about yinz guys, but I look for made in the USA first thing.

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by TonyS451
Originally Posted by A39Coronet

Same set up for me and zero leaks. Would be nice if they came with a breather set up, but I guess everyone likes to do their own thing w that.

I really like these covers and several of you on here recommend and run them. Where is the best place to purchase these?

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/01/19 06:29 PM

Anyone run any of these?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ham-1052/reviews/
Posted By: radar

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/02/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Bustin’ out the pittsburgh speak!

I didn’t know the MP cast covers had a reputation for leaking. I would have bought them but they’re expensive.

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/02/19 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by radar

I thought it was yunz, not yinz. biggrin

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/02/19 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 6pakdakota

I might try that. It looks great

Thanks! FTR, they both leaked a couple drops at the firewall corners when started, but quit when warmed up (could prob fix it by snugging those corners down a bit more due to heat cycling- heads were aluminum also). I ran the orange silicone gaskets sold by Marsh Superperformance. Also used an ARP stud kit (2 sbc kits).
Need a thinwall deep socket due to angles on a couple. Breather is an Edelbrock item.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/02/19 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by radar

I didn’t know the MP cast covers had a reputation for leaking. I would have bought them but they’re expensive.

I'm in the deep south of PA so "yinz" or "y'all" are both acceptable.
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/02/19 05:53 PM

Stock

Attached picture 20190302_151740.jpg

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/04/19 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by nss guy
Stock

Very Nice!!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/04/19 02:46 AM

Are those the real 1964 M.W. covers or the stock non M.W. with the decals? work grin
I can't see both intake manifold sides of those covers is the reason I have to ask whiney
Posted By: nss guy

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/04/19 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Are those the real 1964 M.W. covers or the stock non M.W. with the decals? work grin
I can't see both intake manifold sides of those covers is the reason I have to ask whiney

I doubt they are original mw vc's. I had them powercoated and cleared, same with the intake.

Attached picture intake.jpg
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/04/19 01:09 PM

Always been a fan of the Indy cast covers w/o their logo on them. I milled the logo off of mine.
The ones from Summit looks just like the Indy covers, so I'd try them.
I also like the old school M/T and Cal Custom covers...have a pair of each hanging on the wall to use on something in the future possibly.

Never been a fan of the fabricated valve covers personally. They look cheap to me for some reason, even though the good ones are pricy.

Here's a pic of the Indy covers after milling off the logo...

Attached picture new 440.jpeg
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/04/19 05:09 PM

Cast/rigid covers are best for sealing... but they are heavy... I currently use them (Edlebrock)... but have considered getting some light-weight stamped aluminum covers... I think Morosso has offered them... probably saves maybe 2-3-4 pounds off the front-end... but would then absolutely check for flatness, especially at the bolt holes.. and probably use some bolt-load spreading washers at each bolt hole to prevent metal distortion.... and good quality cork-rubber gaskets (Fel-Pro's Cork-Lam... having metal middle shim with top/bottom cork-rubber... I like those the best... keeps their shape and lasts a long time!)... good for conformability.

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 05:58 AM

Nice work as you did a great job on them and they look good. Ron

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by nss guy
Stock

You gotta love the stock look and they look great ! Ron
Posted By: cudaerik

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 09:41 AM

Good good results with the fabricated aluminium valve covers from 440 Source in combination with the Moroso blue rubber gaskets with the steel core
[/url]
[url=https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mor-93055]

Attached picture motor rom sommer 2018.jpg
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Always been a fan of the Indy cast covers w/o their logo on them. I milled the logo off of mine.
I also like the old school M/T and Cal Custom covers...have a pair of each hanging on the wall to use on something in the future possibly.

Never been a fan of the fabricated valve covers personally. They look cheap to me for some reason, even though the good ones are pricy.

I did the same thing but took it one step further and milled off the indy logo on the intake also.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Airwoofer
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

I did the same thing but took it one step further and milled off the indy logo on the intake also.

I also like the look of the cast covers best....

Ditto on the logo delete option on all mine....no logo unless it was free....and nobody gives away free stuff anymore.

Attached picture DSC00001.JPG
Attached picture DSC05685.JPG
Attached picture KIMG0360.JPG

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/06/19 02:48 PM

Thanks! I was wanting a stock look without the leaks of the steel covers. Will do the same again when I do another motor, for sure!

Originally Posted by 383man

Nice work as you did a great job on them and they look good. Ron

Re: Why is it so hard to choose a valve cover - 06/07/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by cudaerik
Good good results with the fabricated aluminium valve covers from 440 Source in combination with the Moroso blue rubber gaskets with the steel core
[/url]
[url=https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mor-93055]

I like those

Are the tops really thin, and was it tough to get an air breather cap mounted secure?
© 2024 Moparts Forums