Moparts

Spray bar valve cover

Posted By: JoWeTu_6

Spray bar valve cover - 05/07/19 05:40 PM

Hey guys it's been awhile since my last post.
I'm building wrench a spray bar set up for my 572-13 valve covers.
I plan on using 3/16 brake line. But one thing I can't
find any info on is what size holes to put in the spray
bar it self.
Can anyone help with that?
Needee luck
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/07/19 06:58 PM

Divide the area of the line i.d by the number of holes and that will be the MAX area of the holes. Now use your math skills to convert that to a diameter and voila, you have your drill bit size. If the total area of the holes exceeds the area of the line size the oil will just dribble out, you needs the total area of the holes to be smaller to "squirt".

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/07/19 11:45 PM

Ok, will do panic LoL
I should be able to do that.
Thanx

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 12:26 AM

Ok, I think I have it using 3/16 brake line my calculations
have me using a numder 49 drill bit. boogie
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by JoWeTu_6

Is that with using the ID of the 3/16 tubing
wave
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 01:49 AM

I have a set of spray bar V.C. that came with a set of Indy 440-1 heads that I bought that has Jesel paired shaft rocker arms on them, I tried to use my numbered drill bit set to see how big the holes are in them, a #60 bit was to big work Those lines are fed by a # 3 AN hose which is 3/16 I.D. I think
My wall chart shows a #60 bit to be .040 so the holes are smaller than that shruggy
I have another set of smaller numbered drill bits(61 to 80) in my race trailer but it is 45 miles away now with a customer car in it at a paint and body shop, I'm hoping I'll have it back by Friday to go race my car this weekend luck If you don't find out what size to use by then I will be glad to find out what size the holes are in mine up
Posted By: Panty Dropper

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 02:19 AM

Hey Guys,,, Just curious, but where can you purchase a set of BBM Valve covers already set up???
I am wanting to go with paired Rockers and get away from my T&D Shaft set up...]

Thanks in advance..
Posted By: Get-X

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 02:23 AM

The holes are extremely small. I believe they were like .015" on our B1 engine.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 02:52 PM

Waaaaay too big. I'm not an expert on that but that size times 16. No.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 04:00 PM

Imo, .012-.015 would be plenty big.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 06:02 PM

JFI . Both of the spray bar oil line kits we have used from Indy have had a restrictor in the T piece on the valve cover.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 07:59 PM

No, ID. cool

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 08:03 PM

Oooops I must have carried a 10 when I should
have droped a 5 some where. Thanx for the heads up
fellas. shruggy
I wouldn't have caught that thought it looked big but
I was giong with the numbers and they where wrong whiney

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 08:06 PM

Ues I had planned on using a size .040 jet to restrict the oil
flow. confused

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 08:22 PM

Ok , Cab it's been awhile since we spoke, Friday is fine
I'm in no hurry when it comes to getting it wright. stirthepot
Quick question you guys, I was just thinking with a spray bar set up
do I want them pointing at the push rods and adjusters or the rollers and
valve stems? shruggy
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 09:13 PM

Ok , Cab it's been awhile since we spoke, Friday is fine
I'm in no hurry when it comes to getting it wright. stirthepot
Quick question you guys, I was just thinking with a spray bar set up
do I want them pointing at the push rods and adjusters or the rollers and
valve stems? shruggy

I believe that is already set for you on a spray bar.. but my way of thinking
is that it should be pointed at the adjusters and the stems.. the oil flows
down hill and will lube the rollers
wave

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/08/19 09:38 PM

This Jesel set up does not oil the rockers at all, I'm using pushrod oiling also with the spray bars. The Jesel adjusters are hollow and allows the oil from the pushrods to blow right through it, no pressure oiling the shafts or any where else whiney
This is going to be one of my motors that will idle at or above 1500 RPM to insure plenty of splash oiling to the rocker arms and valve springs luck

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 12:54 AM

Ok, kool. I guess I'll point the spray at the adjusters and hope
for some oil roll down to the rollers. I'll see how that works out. popcorn
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 12:42 PM

I remember reading a comment that in a dead-end system (line enters cover at one end) most of the oil will go to the closest valve, and that to balance out the delivery the closest holes should be smallest, but how much?

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 01:07 PM

I remember reading a comment that in a dead-end system (line enters cover at one end) most of the oil will go to the closest valve, and that to balance out the delivery the closest holes should be smallest, but how much?

Nah. Before any oil can squirt out the line has to fill. Now, because the area of the holes is equal to or smaller than the feed line they will all squirt the same amount (or pretty damn close to it). I think the biggest issue will be drilling the holes and not leaving a burr inside the tube. Also, on all the Indy spray bars I've seen, the oil holes have a fairly wide chamfer on them - probably to widen the spray pattern.
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 03:30 PM

Cab they make two differant adjusters one for pushrod oiling and one for spraybar, if you have pushrod oiling the adjuster is solid so it pressure oils the rocker shaft, if you have sprayber it is hollow so oil can bleed to the rocker shaft. I don't think it is a good idea to run hollow adjusters with pushrod oiling. I would run solid adjusters and let the spraybar cool the valve springs.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 03:37 PM

This set of Jesel rockers have no oil holes for the rocker tips or axles whiney
They came with the heads along with the spray bar covers, the ratio on the box says there 1.55 ratio shruggy
I hope to race the motor this weekend at our local 1/8 mile track with out the spray bar covers do to no provision for the vacuum pump fittings, yet whiney
I'll look at the rockers and valve springs after the first day and decide if I will run it the second day luck
Posted By: challenger1320

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 05:01 PM

I hope it doesn't burn up pushrod tips. T&D told me not to run there rockers that way.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 05:02 PM

Kool, let us know how that setup works out
for you Cab. popcorn

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 10:58 PM

So if the pressure in is 50 psi in a .028 in3 line (3/16" ID), the pressure does NOT drop between the first and second set of holes? How about if the first hole is .028"? The line after that has the same pressure as the hole, and equal to 50% of the line in.
The delivery rate is a function of the hole area X the square root of the pressure differential.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/09/19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
So if the pressure in is 50 psi in a .028 in3 line (3/16" ID), the pressure does NOT drop between the first and second set of holes? How about if the first hole is .028"? The line after that has the same pressure as the hole, and equal to 50% of the line in.
The delivery rate is a function of the hole area X the square root of the pressure differential.

I think you misunderstand what's being said here - although (my bad) I did leave out the word "combined" thinking people would be smart enough to assume that!:

" the "combined" area of the holes is equal to or smaller than the feed line they will all squirt the same amount (or pretty damn close to it)."

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 12:37 AM

You didn't understand what I wrote.
Hydraulic engineering (Archimedes) figured this out 2 millennia ago in designing aqueducts.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 02:34 AM

You didn't understand what I wrote.
Hydraulic engineering (Archimedes) figured this out 2 millennia ago in designing aqueducts.

Ok smarty-pants .... just tell him what size to drill the friggin holes !!

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 04:10 AM

Equal hydraulic pressure at all points only occurs in a closed system without leaks.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 07:40 AM

Oops, ok what he said then. popcorn
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 10:55 AM

My Indy valve covers were fitted with spray bars for the Jesel rockers. Oil lines were fed into the center of the valve cover. Helps eliminate end to end pressure drop and bleed off.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 01:46 PM

Equal hydraulic pressure at all points only occurs in a closed system without leaks.

So when you plumb an oil pressure gauge in at the rear of the block, what its really telling you is the first main bearing is getting ridiculously high pressure and the last lifter in the left bank is getting virtually none
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 10:38 PM

You'll need at least a dremel with a tiny collet to drill such a tiny hole.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/10/19 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

So when you plumb an oil pressure gauge in at the rear of the block, what its really telling you is the first main bearing is getting ridiculously high pressure and the last lifter in the left bank is getting virtually none

Take a look at the heating duct work in a warehouse. You will notice how the duct diameters get smaller towards the end of the run. That keeps the airflow up when exiting the vents. Liquid works the same way.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/11/19 01:13 AM

Seems to me the pressure drop inside the valve cover if any would be insignificant
in such a short distance. shruggy I'm just saying.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/11/19 01:15 AM

Take a look at the heating duct work in a warehouse. You will notice how the duct diameters get smaller towards the end of the run. That keeps the airflow up when exiting the vents. Liquid works the same way.

My lawn sprinkler system has the same size line feeding the whole system. The last sprinkler sprays just as far as the first.

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/11/19 01:16 AM

Seems to me the pressure drop inside the valve cover if any would be insignificant
in such a short distance. shruggy I'm just saying.

Agreed
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/11/19 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton

My lawn sprinkler system has the same size line feeding the whole system. The last sprinkler sprays just as far as the first.

And the holes are microscopic by comparison.

Kevin
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/12/19 04:15 PM

Another way I've made spray bars is by using thick wall tubing. I use a paper thin Dremel cutting wheel and cut a slice into the tubing that just barely cracks through. Doing it that way makes a fan jet of oil. 1 properly position slice covered a pair of rockers.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/12/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Panty Dropper
Hey Guys,,, Just curious, but where can you purchase a set of BBM Valve covers already set up???
I am wanting to go with paired Rockers and get away from my T&D Shaft set up...]

Thanks in advance..

shock scope spank popcorn

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/13/19 06:42 PM

My spray bar covers have a T fitting in the center for the oil line entrance and two lines off of it to the ends to spray the rockers .
A .024 (#73 ?) drill bit will not fit into the holes but a .0225 (#74 ?) will fit up
The T fitting has a restrictor in it but I haven't check the size of it yet shruggy
I haven't race the new motor yet with those covers on but I will try to have them ready for the next race in two weeks, they need baffles welded in and maybe welding up one of the breather holes also if the bolt in cap kit I have won't work luck
IHTHs thumbs

Re: Spray bar valve cover - 05/17/19 06:54 PM

Kool Cab, thanx for the information, and I hope everything goes well @ the track. drive
© 2024 Moparts Forums