Moparts

vacuum or mechanical advance

Posted By: moretork03

vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 12:54 PM

Stoked 440, i think 555 cubes.any one have info on which advance I should run and the reasons?
Thanks
Posted By: WILD BILL

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 01:02 PM

Depends on how your using the car. Is it street/strip or a 100% race only?
Posted By: Georg

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 01:30 PM

Quote:

Depends on how your using the car. Is it street/strip or a 100% race only?

Exactly. When it`s street car what see race track few times use vacuum, if it`s full race car use mechanical one

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 02:56 PM

was race only but going to strip/street, what is advantage or disadvantage?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 02:59 PM

You always have mech advance unless you LOCKOUT the dist. , Vac advance is for fuel economy under PART THROTTLE cruising conditions .
Posted By: QWK_ENUF

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 05:12 PM

Quote:

You always have mech advance unless you LOCKOUT the dist. , Vac advance is for fuel economy under PART THROTTLE cruising conditions .

vac advance is for high vac conditions when a little more advance is beneficial
Posted By: Joshs68

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 05:30 PM

I just capped the vac advance on mine and use the mechanical only, works good and one less thing to worry about/fuss with.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 06:34 PM

Don't think I've run a vacuum advance on any of my mopars. well maybe my 318 coronet. All of them that had some performace upgrades have been blocked. I'm guessing you will have your distrib curved for your application?
Posted By: dave571

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 06:42 PM

Quote:

100% correct

A motor like that will need a custom curve on the mechanical to match the build. Cam, tire size, stall speed, weight, etc.. all play a part in the desired mechanical advance curve.

Vacuum advance is a feature for economy. Under hard throttle, performance should be unchanged, even on a mild build.

I curve deistributors on my sunn machine, and quite often will delete the vacuum. Usually on applications where the motor is radical enough the the mileage is not affected by not having it. Usually on these same apps, the initial value is so high, that adding vacuum at lower speeds gives it too much advance. Can creat a light throttle surge condition. Vacuum can also be a negative thing on a 4 gear car, as it comes up on the shifts, adding the possibility of theadvance plate sticking with too much advance etc..

Equally, on a milder build there is no reason not to run vacuum advance.

It only becomes a gray area in the middle
Posted By: Old School

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 06:45 PM

on my my street cars with 500" motors,i use mech advance only. i tried to use vaccum adv.but it made the car surge and sputter at a steady throttle. when i unhooked it ,it went away.
Posted By: tvt59

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 08:01 PM

Don't mean to steal the tread. But I am going to try a programable msd 6 on my Valiant. Has any one else tried this?

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/17/09 08:48 PM

thanks for all the info guy's.I wanted to know which distributor to get and now I know.I bought the car from a car finder, not the builder who raced it in the 80's. The car had a crossover ignition with a computer and the guy did not know how to program it so he put a points dist so I could hear it run before I purchased it.I know its a radical build, i found time slips under the carpet running low 8's.I want to go with electronic ign.
Posted By: dave571

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/18/09 01:22 AM

Quote:

thanks for all the info guy's.I wanted to know which distributor to get and now I know.I bought the car from a car finder, not the builder who raced it in the 80's. The car had a crossover ignition with a computer and the guy did not know how to program it so he put a points dist so I could hear it run before I purchased it.I know its a radical build, i found time slips under the carpet running low 8's.I want to go with electronic ign.

Definately no vacuum advance on a car like that.

I doubt many 8 second cars run advance at all. More likely be a lockdown unit with a timing retard to start it.

If it has advance at all, it will be a really short curve.
Posted By: Bigcube

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/18/09 02:02 AM

If it has any sort of cam in it with a big motor you want to lock it out. It will idle much better with all the timing in it.
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/18/09 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Definately no vacuum advance on a car like that.

I doubt many 8 second cars run advance at all. More likely be a lockdown unit with a timing retard to start it.

If it has advance at all, it will be a really short curve.

yeah that, get a pro to set it up and lock it down.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/18/09 12:44 PM

Quote:

Don't mean to steal the tread. But I am going to try a programable msd 6 on my Valiant. Has any one else tried this?

I haven't tried it. Too many people get pissed when you throw a curve like this in a good reading thread. Kind of like barnacles on a whale's privates. It's very irritating to the other parties involved. It's always best to start clean with your own new thread.
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: vacuum or mechanical advance - 03/18/09 03:51 PM

My distributor`s been locked out for years and it starts/runs just fine and it`s one less thing to worry about..........from personal exp. the start retard made starting HARDER.....threw it in the trash years ago and starts fine w/out it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums