Moparts

Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick?

Posted By: BradH

Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/05/19 03:04 AM

If so, how's it work? Got pics, especially if you're using it with headers? Thanks - Brad
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/05/19 03:28 AM

I use the lokar stick http://www.lokar.com/engine-dipsticks.html
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/05/19 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by BradH
If so, how's it work? Got pics, especially if you're using it with headers? Thanks - Brad

A-Body, 400, TTI’s and Milodon dipstick. It positively stays down with multiple o-rings. Comes out the front away from the heat.

Attached picture CD6D9220-447F-42A1-A614-857A02706CAE.jpeg
Attached picture 3F578C19-09B3-4360-8365-A1181DBA7910.jpeg
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/05/19 05:50 AM

I bought this one from Year One. They had the best price believe it or not.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/05/19 03:49 PM

Works great. You can see it sticking up by the #1 plug wire. Only thing I had to do was make my own fill lines on dip stick.

Mike

Attached picture IMG_0636.JPG
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/06/19 02:07 PM

Its funny, none of my cars have a dipstick.....

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/06/19 02:51 PM

I appreciate the replies. Still not sure that's what I want to use, though.
Posted By: Hemi Allstate

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/06/19 04:59 PM

I t's easy to install and use, looks clean. I like it.

Mark

Attached picture 30821148_1947897588567161_7545008059502313018_o.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/06/19 04:59 PM

What is the problem you are trying to solve? Do you need a locking dipstick to pass tech?
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 12:42 PM

I use the Milodon stick on my hemi. It was the only one I could get to fit w/ my headers. It's hidden behind the motorplate so you can't see it in any of the engine pics I have on my computer.

Never understood why you wouldn't want a dipstick...even on a race engine. Makes it quick and easy to check the oil level and to see if you have water and oil mixing. I get that it's one less place to leak oil and/or vacuum, but they aren't hard to seal. And the old saying that "if you need to check it, you need to change it"...yeah, I don't buy that. Most people change oil way more often than needed.

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AndyF
What is the problem you are trying to solve? Do you need a locking dipstick to pass tech?

No tech requirement, but I'd like to use something more secure (o-ring seal in handle) than stock.

The Milodon looks perfect on paper (or still in the package), but the examples I've seen of how people have routed it for a BB w/ headers don't show what I was hoping. Someone else mentioned to me not using one because of how close it was to the headers, and I have the same concern. I don't like the idea of routing it forwards towards the fan, either. Funny(?) how it seems to be a really good choice for a Gen II Hemi, though.

Guess I'll keep looking for options. scope
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 05:42 PM

I admit I haven't used the Milodon.
It just seems fancier than I need.

I have had the best luck bending the tube where desired, and then dealing with the bracket second.

On my Wedge I bent the tube towards the inner fender and then straight up to put it where I wanted.
After that I welded an extension (piece of metal with a hole drilled in it) to the existing bracket, so it
would bolt to the motor mount like a stock one. If a guy didn't have a welder, the extension bracket
could be bolted or riveted instead. I'll jam my phone down there and take pics if it will help.

On my Hemi I noticed all the "$pecial" parts out there were for stock exhaust manfolds.
So I took a wedge stick, bent it as needed, cut the bracket off and relocated it.
It's pretty close, I will probably need to either shorten it or bend it a little more once it's installed in the chassis.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 06:50 PM

Brad...I used a stock dipstick for an HP application on every BB wedge and header combo I ever had in my cuda.
Stock heads and Edelbrock RPM heads w/ Hooker 1 7/8" headers and the 2" 5209 super comps.
Also Indy SR heads w/ the TTI 2" to 2 1/8" step headers.

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 06:52 PM

I've always used a stock one, too, w/ a variety of "custom" bends to fit whatever the headers happened to require. hammer
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/08/19 10:11 PM

I've always used a stock one, too, w/ a variety of "custom" bends to fit whatever the headers happened to require. hammer
Stock one here. A body. You just have to be patient. But legit when done

Attached picture 20181028_154306.jpg
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/09/19 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hot 340
Stock one here. A body. You just have to be patient. But legit when done

drool
Posted By: thehemikid

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/13/19 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF

No tech requirement, but I'd like to use something more secure (o-ring seal in handle) than stock.

The Milodon looks perfect on paper (or still in the package), but the examples I've seen of how people have routed it for a BB w/ headers don't show what I was hoping. Someone else mentioned to me not using one because of how close it was to the headers, and I have the same concern. I don't like the idea of routing it forwards towards the fan, either. Funny(?) how it seems to be a really good choice for a Gen II Hemi, though.

Guess I'll keep looking for options. scope

Another option, Sorry I don't have a pic with the headers on (can get one if needed)...may not work for you, but did for me. You could use a truck type 90* fitting in the oil pan,... locate the fitting wherever for or aft in the pan that would help dodge your header issue. Run a short steel flared tubing then a union to the Milodon.

The reason I went this route was the motor I have was already built and not drilled for a dipstick. I could've built a jig to drill it, but I have a lot going on in that area anyway with the main oil lines, pre-oiler lines, and a remote water drain hose. My dipstick can just hug the block behind all that. Chose not to come out between 1 and 3 primaries because it makes it so much easier to swing the wrench for the header bolts without the stick, and don't have to remove the stick to remove the headers.

Figured the union might leak a little being the Milodon's lower tubing was a tad smaller than the steel tubing but not a drop yet,...but I only have 48 miles on it so far.

Attached picture IMG_3551.JPG

Re: Anyone use Milodon BB dipstick? - 04/13/19 12:30 PM

Interesting approach, but not something I see myself doing.

I'm going to put the headers on the engine while it's still on the stand and go from there. Thanks for everyone's replies.
© 2024 Moparts Forums