Moparts

" The Block" by Bulldog Performance

Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

" The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 03:57 PM

On the forum here today is an article about the block from Bulldog. Does anyone have experience with this block or company? I am curious to find out if this is actually something we as Mopar folks can depend on for a block.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 04:20 PM

I believe member hugo here has one..
Posted By: AndyF

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 04:34 PM

Go visit a Buick forum and ask that question........
Posted By: Rodenteliminator

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 04:49 PM

Well I have talked to Richard a couple of times with questions, he seems to be trying to do it right, so as of Wed I sent him a deposit to get the process started, he is telling me 6 to 8 weeks and the main holdup is the machining, so time will tell.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 04:57 PM

Ahhh....I usually try to keep it positive here.

I think some/not a whole lot of their product has been sold and is out there.

Other than that, things seem to be a big ball of "not good"

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342038
Posted By: AJsDUSTER

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 05:38 PM

I bought "THE" block from Muscle Motors in march of 2017. I was happy and excited, they said the only problem you might have is putting in the cam bearings is very tight. That wasn't the only problem.
it seems I got an early run block, most problems were fixable, but it would have been nice to know of the problems before a lot of test fitting, then put it together and find something else and take it apart.
'Ol Dick Bradshaw may have fixed those problems by now, who knows. If you want an Iron block, it seems like it is the only one out there, it is heavy, at least over 305 lbs. maybe more depending your bore size.
If you want one buyer beware twocents, I might go through "Best Machining" I think they know a lot about them.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by AJsDUSTER
I bought "THE" block from Muscle Motors in march of 2017. I was happy and excited, they said the only problem you might have is putting in the cam bearings is very tight.

I can't figure that one out. If the cam bores are too tight, put it in the Tobin-Arp and cut them to the proper size. I mean, this ain't rocket science for a block manufacturer. WOW.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 06:39 PM

"the main holdup is the machining": it won't be done, and it's not my fault

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rodenteliminator
Well I have talked to Richard a couple of times with questions, he seems to be trying to do it right, so as of Wed I sent him a deposit to get the process started, he is telling me 6 to 8 weeks and the main holdup is the machining, so time will tell.

If you go read the Buick threads you'll find that Dick told them the same thing for 5+ years. I don't know the guy and I've never tried to work with him but I've seen his name on various forums for more than 10 years. The threads about him are always very, very negative.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 08:15 PM

MarkZ has one of those blocks. If I remember correctly it was poorly machined from the get go and he had to have it redone by BES. I think the lifter bores were machined wrong. I'm sure there are threads on here about it.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 08:50 PM

I talked to Hugo and Markz before I did this, and I have read the posts and heard the stories, all this race and aftermarket parts deal is a shot in the dark anyway.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 10:07 PM

I've read all the crap as well. Conversations and observations at PRI have given me some hope that they've turned the corner. Will have to ask how things are going. What I saw was pretty, for what that's worth.
Posted By: HDNMOPERS

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 10:37 PM

Got a call from Richard on Tuesday. I like you just wanted to inquire about The Block. Told me the same thing he told you. Don't know the man whatsoever. But he's had some very unfavorable opinions of his business dealings. He was nice to speak with though. I just told him wish he had blocks on hand. I would most likely purchase one. But since he didn't. I didn't feel comfortable putting down a 1500 deposit.
Posted By: markz528

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/08/19 11:41 PM

So - I do have a "the block". Came from Muscle Motors. I have no idea how Richard Bradshaw is in the mix.

Best I can tell, Bill from the Chicago Connection funded the project and owns all the rights. This is as far as I can figure out. I have talked to Bill a few times.

If anyone wants one, I would be calling Bill at Chicago Connection not Dick Bradshaw.

Yes - mine had problems but they were all fairly easily fixed. I would buy another one in a heartbeat - but from Bill.
Posted By: hugo

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 01:09 AM

I also did my research on Richard BRADSHAW. Some negative things about the guy. I talked to him and he had a block available at the time. I was very skeptic about buying it from him. He seemed a nice guy and knowledgeable. I trusted the guy. I sent him a check and in three days I had the block. He delivered! My experience with him was good. The block looks pretty good but I haven’t put it together since I am undecided of what to buil in the low deck 540, 557, 572? As far as the machining of the block until we start the build we will find out and I keep you guy informed. He did tell me if I wantedan rb which he did not have I’d had to wait 6 to 8 weeks. I think he designed it and builds it. As far as who sponsors him I have only read it’s Chicago connection. By the way I did talk to Eric from muscle motors since I have dealt with them before to ask them about the block and Richard BRADSHAW and if I could trust him. They told me I could trust the guy. I did and I do have the block in my hands.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 01:14 AM

I don't know him, but ask "Has all of the deposit money collected been deposited in an escrow account?", and he will squirt out a cloud of ink and swim away backward.
It's a Ponzi - after he spent the deposits on personal expenses he can't pay the foundry, his staff, machine shop, or even rent... until he takes more deposits... which he spends.

What did you THINK was happening?
Used before that I know of in other industries: his wife/friend starts a new corporation which lends him $1,000,000. Now, when he goes bankrupt, HE is his largest creditor and gets back all of his own inventory for 10¢ on the dollar (stiffing the other complainants). Opens new business, sells the same parts you already bought a second time. Rinse, repeat.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 06:48 AM

The only thing I can say is the problem is NOT machine work.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 01:33 PM

FWIW .My brother bought 3 blocks , 9.98 DH, 4.49 bore 60 MM cam Hemi Bolt pattern , Lifters were unmachined, because we were using Frankenstein P48 Hemi heads. Ordered in Late October, delivered last week of January.
Posted By: Bill_T

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by ric3xrt
FWIW .My brother bought 3 blocks , 9.98 DH, 4.49 bore 60 MM cam Hemi Bolt pattern , Lifters were unmachined, because we were using Frankenstein P48 Hemi heads. Ordered in Late October, delivered last week of January.

I'd like to hear more about these....
!
Posted By: iapco103

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 07:20 PM

Turned in my order to Bulldog a couple of weeks ago for a Hemi block, also told 6-8 weeks. We will see how it goes. Paul
Posted By: BradH

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/09/19 09:00 PM

Irrational or not, I felt better about The Block when Muscle Motors seemed to be driving the effort, even if Bradshaw was always behind the scenes.
Posted By: GY3

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/10/19 12:25 AM

Saw this on my Facebook feed today:

http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/...wTz79WZlD0cR4vLCxzbiwrt1zYHyAf874CGxzuMA

"The Block was the brainchild of Bulldog Performance, and still belongs to them! It took quite a bit of effort to begin putting out the fires left by the shop’s closure, but today, Bulldog is producing blocks and satisfying its patient customers – "

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/10/19 02:43 PM

They saw 2 blocks being poured.
That's the same as "completely finished, test final assembly done with actual components, checked for leaks, oil & water pressure, on the truck, and making the turn into your street", isn't it?
Or are those 2 events as far apart as they ever were: years?

"delivery dates are subject to change"
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/11/19 12:23 PM

I'm curious as to why this is a Bulldog block when it was always a Muscle Motors deal til now?
I've heard enough about Bulldog AND Muscle Motors to stay away from either one of them.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/11/19 01:58 PM

Bulldog has been around for a while and I don't think this was a MM "deal" They may have bought in, got set up as a dealer, made a deal to private label them, but anything I hear about their involvement is history, not current affairs. People are buying them, but I haven't heard MM mentioned in the conversation for a long time.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/11/19 02:55 PM

After just dealing with a company that tried ripping me off I am gun-shy about throwing money down on something that is not in stock, on the shelf. My personal project is probably going to be a Gen III since I can get the blocks and they can handle more hp that a B/RB block ( at least a stock block).

Thanks to all the people who have responded. I sincerely hope that blocks become available, on the shelf at some point.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/11/19 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
After just dealing with a company that tried ripping me off I am gun-shy about throwing money down on something that is not in stock, on the shelf. My personal project is probably going to be a Gen III since I can get the blocks and they can handle more hp that a B/RB block ( at least a stock block).

Thanks to all the people who have responded. I sincerely hope that blocks become available, on the shelf at some point.

Not a big enough base of potential customers to keep anything but the most basic replacement block, if that. Everybody wants something custom. Being able to order a block to spec and have it in 8 or 10 weeks would be way better than nothing, which is how it's been.
Posted By: 10secGTX

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/13/19 06:08 AM

I bought "THE" block from Muscle Motors in march of 2017. I was happy and excited, they said the only problem you might have is putting in the cam bearings is very tight. That wasn't the only problem.
it seems I got an early run block, most problems were fixable, but it would have been nice to know of the problems before a lot of test fitting, then put it together and find something else and take it apart.
'Ol Dick Bradshaw may have fixed those problems by now, who knows. If you want an Iron block, it seems like it is the only one out there, it is heavy, at least over 305 lbs. maybe more depending your bore size.
If you want one buyer beware twocents, I might go through "Best Machining" I think they know a lot about them.

Aj is a good friend of mine and having been in Law Enforcement for 20 plus years, I'm glad Tricky Dick lives in Indy and not in OHIO .... get your Money back !! ...or Better Yet, Buy Aj's Block and make the repairs, Save some money, heartache, and the most precious commodity ... TIME.

Please do your research about this man.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/13/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 10secGTX

Aj is a good friend of mine and having been in Law Enforcement for 20 plus years, I'm glad Tricky Dick lives in Indy and not in OHIO .... get your Money back !! ...or Better Yet, Buy Aj's Block and make the repairs, Save some money, heartache, and the most precious commodity ... TIME.

Your response makes it sound as if AJ is trying to sell his block, but nothing in his post says that. shruggy

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/13/19 07:42 PM

W/r/t "Not a big enough base of potential customers to keep anything but the most basic replacement block, if that. Everybody wants something custom."

True, and not mentioned often enough: the greater the number & value of features, the fewer that will be sold - and most expensive.
The best money maker is (almost) a direct replacement: highest volume + easiest to design, but offers the fewest advantages.
Needless to say, this dilemma has screwed up the development of many interesting projects (slant 6 aluminum head). It will be faster if it is cross-flow, but there are no manifolds... You get the picture.

Everyone means well, but no one entertains such a complex operation except to make money, and (as we all know) the best engineers are not always the best project managers or accountants.
Posted By: AJsDUSTER

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/14/19 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BradH
Originally Posted by 10secGTX

Your response makes it sound as if AJ is trying to sell his block, but nothing in his post says that. shruggy

Well actually I do want to sell the block I have, I would like to recoup my money back from that investment. I didn't post anything about it because I didn't know what the market was like. You could PM me and I can tell you what has been done to it as far as machining, I would sell it as is, it is a RB block, bored .030(4.35). If someone is interested local pickup would be preferred, but I might be able to meet half way possibly(200 miles max?) I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. If someone wants it and it can only be shipped to them, shipping would be their responsibility. I posted pics. of it 2yrs ago in another post about "the" block.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/06/19 11:15 PM

I posted on the 8th of March that I had sent Richard Bradshaw a deposit on the block that he and Bill at Chicago Connection are involved with, that post drew some negative responses,I had done my research and read all the bad publicity and did it anyway, took the chance. I picked up my block today and it looks good, there was a little lack of communication on my part or it would have been here last week, Richard always answered his phone and had an answer for any questions I had, so if I was in the market for another block I would not hesitate to do this again.I will get it to the machine shop and see if I am still happy !!! If I end up using this thing for a door stop the shop will always be open.( It's heavy) DK

Attached picture IMG_4516.jpg
Attached picture IMG_4518.jpg
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/06/19 11:52 PM

Good for you. Glad to here that went well, and I hope it all checks out well. Looks like you might be grinding some pushrod clearance but hey at least you have something to grind on.
Todd
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 12:34 AM

Thats great news. Hope they can pick up some of the slack in the market and maybe improve reputation.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 12:43 AM

Todd you and I talked a couple of months ago and we will be talking again! That pic is not the best angle but you are probably right on pushrod clearance. I do hope they can get this market moving because it does look like a tough block and hopefully not a lot of extra machining other than what is needed to square it up and align it up. DK
Posted By: cesar perez

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 03:29 AM

How much for the block
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 09:47 AM

I don’t see an issue with pushrod clearance. That’s not a hemi block.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 10:55 AM

Have you weighed the block yet? I'm curious to see how it compares to a stock block. Looks great. Good luck with it.
Posted By: sasquatch

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 12:13 PM

I understand that it is a wedge block, but for example I have a World Block that the customer is picking up today with 1.7 rockers that I had to grind the heck out of. Yes I know why I had to with that. The tooling on these blocks to my understanding came from the old Koleno blocks and we had to grind some on them to. NOT a critique, we grind on lots of blocks. Just depends on the heads used and the pushrod angle needed.
Todd

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 12:20 PM

Glad to hear you got the block and all looks ok! Good to hear these things actually exist and are being shipped.

If it's anything like the World iron blocks, it's about 100 lbs. heavier than a stock block. The World hemi block I have stashed in the shop weighed as much as me (330 lbs.) before I bored .250" out of each cylinder.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 02:00 PM

Which shop gets the fun of finding out how good the quality of the machining, etc., is?

It seems like a product where nothing can be taken at face value at this point.
Posted By: Get-X

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sasquatch
I understand that it is a wedge block, but for example I have a World Block that the customer is picking up today with 1.7 rockers that I had to grind the heck out of. Yes I know why I had to with that. The tooling on these blocks to my understanding came from the old Koleno blocks and we had to grind some on them to. NOT a critique, we grind on lots of blocks. Just depends on the heads used and the pushrod angle needed.
Todd

I thought this might be the Koleno tooling. They were crazy heavy, but they had the potential to being a very strong base that someone could saw the extra weight off of. Roush was actually machining Koleno blocks but got tired of setting up the machinery to do it for only a few blocks at a time and quit doing it.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 10:45 PM

$3975 plus shipping on the price. Low deck 4.50 bore cross bolted mains standard cam tunnel (there are options on that) billet main caps and a 1 piece # 5 cap and seal retainer with 4 bolts and all the freeze plugs,galley plugs, oil restrictor plugs and dowels., and for the weight 291 lbs. 69 lbs more than my 71 400 block with factory caps.Looks like the next plan is to see if I can scoot it back a little.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/07/19 11:57 PM

Curious why you bought it from Richard and not Bill?

How are the lifter bores?

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/08/19 01:10 AM

Mark I PMd you for info back in Jan if I remember right, I called Bill at Chicago Connection and was told he was out of town call back in a week this went on for 3 weeks, the guy answering the phone had no info on the blocks other than maybe Barton's had some info, called Barton and was told they had seen a couple of them but they had no more and knew little about them. I called Bradshaw at 4 pm one afternoon left a message, he called me back at 7:30 that evening we talked, I did some more research called again asked a couple of more questions and bit the bullet, everything went the way he told me it would. 8 weeks from the day I sent my deposit it was in my garage. Lifter bores look good but I haven't mocked anything up yet. DK

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/08/19 12:32 PM

I am glad to see that someone got their block. I went with a gen III but my heart has always been with the real hemi. Maybe I need to sell my stuff and purchase one of these blocks. Thank you for the update.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/08/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BradH
Which shop gets the fun of finding out how good the quality of the machining, etc., is?

It seems like a product where nothing can be taken at face value at this point.

In case my original post was overlooked...
Posted By: Dragula

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/08/19 03:51 PM

I posted on the 8th of March that I had sent Richard Bradshaw a deposit on the block that he and Bill at Chicago Connection are involved with, that post drew some negative responses,I had done my research and read all the bad publicity and did it anyway, took the chance. I picked up my block today and it looks good, there was a little lack of communication on my part or it would have been here last week, Richard always answered his phone and had an answer for any questions I had, so if I was in the market for another block I would not hesitate to do this again.I will get it to the machine shop and see if I am still happy !!! If I end up using this thing for a door stop the shop will always be open.( It's heavy) DK

Keep us posted...

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/08/19 11:02 PM

Mark I PMd you for info back in Jan if I remember right, I called Bill at Chicago Connection and was told he was out of town call back in a week this went on for 3 weeks, the guy answering the phone had no info on the blocks other than maybe Barton's had some info, called Barton and was told they had seen a couple of them but they had no more and knew little about them. I called Bradshaw at 4 pm one afternoon left a message, he called me back at 7:30 that evening we talked, I did some more research called again asked a couple of more questions and bit the bullet, everything went the way he told me it would. 8 weeks from the day I sent my deposit it was in my garage. Lifter bores look good but I haven't mocked anything up yet. DK

Yup - Bill can be tough to get a hold of. He gave me his cell phone number and that has worked for me.

I still don't understand the Richard/Bill connection and what is what. But I am very glad you have a block and good luck with your build!
Posted By: Lifsgrt

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/09/19 02:20 AM

After quite a bit of sketchiness, I received a block from Muscle Motors about 18 months ago. Took the block to Best Machine for machine work, and eventually had them build my 498" B-engine (4.500"×3.915"). Way more machine work than should have been required on a new block, but it is done. Just packaged up my headers to send to Jet Hot, and finalizing the dry sump system. We will find out soon if it makes the 1000+ hp NA on gas. I'm counting on it holding up...can't afford for it not to! Stay tuned on my Bonneville Speed Week 2019 thread here.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/09/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lifsgrt
After quite a bit of sketchiness, I received a block from Muscle Motors about 18 months ago. Took the block to Best Machine for machine work, and eventually had them build my 498" B-engine (4.500"×3.915"). Way more machine work than should have been required on a new block, but it is done. Just packaged up my headers to send to Jet Hot, and finalizing the dry sump system. We will find out soon if it makes the 1000+ hp NA on gas. I'm counting on it holding up...can't afford for it not to! Stay tuned on my Bonneville Speed Week 2019 thread here.

What crank are you using with the 3.915 stroke? Which rod journals?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 01:15 AM

Just as a way to put a spot light on how screwed up the block situation for Mopars is at the moment......

My friend just ordered a new iron Kauffman block for a Pontiac.
$3200......2 weeks til delivery.

It’s just mind boggling to me that no one seems to be able to do a similar thing for a Mopar.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
Just as a way to put a spot light on how screwed up the block situation for Mopars is at the moment......

My friend just ordered a new iron Kauffman block for a Pontiac.
$3200......2 weeks til delivery.

It’s just mind boggling to me that no one seems to be able to do a similar thing for a Mopar.

It is mind boggling. I still say that the Chrysler guys are just too damn cheap to spend any money on a block when they can use stock junk with a girdle and filler and aftermarket caps blah blah blah. They won't spend the money. Sadly the Pontiac guys will.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 03:45 AM

It is a custom Crower crank, fully counterweighted, knife-edged, and coated. 2.200" rod journals. 6.7" Crower steel rods. I went with RB size main journals in this B-block.
Posted By: jughed

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by madscientist

It is mind boggling. I still say that the Chrysler guys are just too damn cheap to spend any money on a block when they can use stock junk with a girdle and filler and aftermarket caps blah blah blah. They won't spend the money. Sadly the Pontiac guys will.

You've got that right.

...and then there's the ignorant money grubber who thinks that cheap MoPar guys are going to pay $5k for a block that they refuse to spend even $3k on....at least he dropped the price down from "$6,000 FIRM"

https://www.racingjunk.com/Blocks/1...h=mopar&np_offset=86&from=search
Posted By: dvw

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by jughed

You've got that right.

...and then there's the ignorant money grubber who thinks that cheap MoPar guys are going to pay $5k for a block that they refuse to spend even $3k on....at least he dropped the price down from "$6,000 FIRM"

If Mopar guys are so cheap why do they pay more for nearly every part they buy? If they were cheap they'd be buying Chevy stuff for way less. Plenty of guys would spend the $3200 for a good block. Everybody says its all about volume sold. How on earth can Kaufman sell a low volume Pontiac block for $3200? And no one be able to do a Mopar for the same money?????????????
Doug

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 01:48 PM

If Mopar guys are so cheap why do they pay more for nearly every part they buy? If they were cheap they'd be buying Chevy stuff for way less. Plenty of guys would spend the $3200 for a good block. Everybody says its all about volume sold. How on earth can Kaufman sell a low volume Pontiac block for $3200? And no one be able to do a Mopar for the same money?????????????
Doug

My thinking exactly.

Iron block availability has pretty much always sucked for the mopars.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 01:58 PM

You've got that right.

Crazy thing is he'll probably get it and then regret selling it soon as it's gone, I sold one just like it about 8 years ago for 3500 because I thought I was quitting racing and would never use it...guy wasn't even out of my driveway before I was kicking myself...
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 01:59 PM

I am very fortunate to have bought a mega block 20 years ago,,,,paid $2500 grin Started at 4.310 and resized a few times whistling
It's up to 4.385.This has ti out live ME! Funny,everytime a machine shop touches this block they tell me I should go right to 4.5 bore,I tell them"no thanks,just to the next size available ring size......
Last time I hurt a piston,I was able to stay the same size with a light hone.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/11/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by dvw

You've got that right.

Doug

If there was a 3200 dollar block out there and 90% of the Chrysler guys had the option they'd pick a production block every single time.

I didn't just fall out of the turnip truck. I've seen it my whole life. I still see it today. Guys wouldn't buy W2 heads because they couldn't use the rockers and headers they already had, and they needed an intake.

Same thing. So today, you have guys building 400 plus inch small blocks and they STILL won't buy a head that won't use a stock rocker.

Face it. 90% of the Chrysler guys are happy just being happy.

I stand by what I posted. If you think guys like Dart, World Products, Brodix and such haven't done the reseat you'd be lying to yourself. And, if you can ever get one on the phone whose having an honest conversation he'd tell you the same thing.

It wasn't that long ago that there were people thinking Dart was going to produce a small block for guys like Bob Book. I LMMFAO so hard I got a bloody nose.

And still no Dart block. Because they couldn't sell enough to get their investment back on the tooling.
Posted By: Airwoofer

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 05/14/19 09:27 PM

Wanna sell that custom crank let me know? That is exactly the crank I need, especially if it is 8 bolt. Pls send me a PM on more info on this.

I bot a new 3.91 crank for my "low deck" KB block and guess what size the mains are in the block (hint, B vs RB)? NFG, dumb azz mistake. Had to put back in the very tired Bryant 3.85 and lost 0.060 stroke and 1 point CR compared to the crank I was gonna use and already had the new pistons.

I very possibly may sell off the mega block 540 short block assy and use the Indy CNC heads on the KB motor. All new stuff with a couple run hours. Pan up. Too heavy for my regular steering box old man arms with a spool. Not a thread jack, send a PM if interested.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/01/19 11:23 PM

You can order a new crank from Crower.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/01/19 11:26 PM

You can seen the lifter valley detail here.

Attached picture 45322733_1973239259398414_2462041233078353920_n.jpg

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/02/19 01:19 AM

Mine is still in the bag and on my stand, have you had a chance to mock up the top end with the lifters and pushrod angles yet ? DK

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/02/19 01:21 PM

Reasons why the valve reliefs have those nice sharp geometric shapes

By manufacturer:
1. "it's the cheapest way"
2. "most people won't pay for the extra work"
3. "it's what they expect to see"

By owner:
5%: "just got it back, on the trailer tonight"
95%: "... what?"
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/02/19 05:18 PM

Do they sell a 4.5 bore Hemi block?

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/02/19 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by polyspheric
Reasons why the valve reliefs have those nice sharp geometric shapes

By manufacturer:
1. "it's the cheapest way"
2. "most people won't pay for the extra work"
3. "it's what they expect to see"

By owner:
5%: "just got it back, on the trailer tonight"
95%: "... what?"

I've always "softened" those sharp edges. It's OK that I don't pay to have it done. More time and effort? Yep. Worth it? Maybe. I just do it.

Back on topic...I'm glad to see this block, and the Ritter SB stuff, finally looking like the issues have been resolved and decent parts finally available for reasonable money and time waiting.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/03/19 03:35 PM

For anyone who has the current version of this block: Care to describe what problems if any that need corrected on this block?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/03/19 05:58 PM

I am really hoping that they can turn this effort into a successful way for us dumb BB Mopar racers to get a good cast iron race block, finally luck

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/04/19 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by hudsonhornet7x
For anyone who has the current version of this block: Care to describe what problems if any that need corrected on this block?

I still get confused when its called Bulldog. I have an early casting (was told first run) bought from Muscle Motors all called The Block. These were the issues that needed addressing:

- cam bearing bores were on the tight side
- lifter bores were crap and needed bushings
- oil pump bolt hole should of been a blind hole but wasn't causing an oil leak through the bolt
- dipstick hole too small (btw - I now have a reamer for that if anyone needs to borrow it)
- distributor drive gear needed to have the block clearanced - the gear was hitting the block
- the galley plugs in the front were hitting the timing chain

That's all I can remember for now..........
Posted By: SS_Dodge

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/04/19 01:26 PM

Apart from the lifter bores the rest of those issues are minor.
Posted By: hemislave

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 06/06/19 12:59 AM

I'll add my 2 Cent's, My cousin bought one of the Hemi block's this past winter, Took it to Barton for machine work. Cylinder, main, and cam bore's checked good, the decks were off about .015. Distributor hole was too small. we'll see how tough it is, going in a pulling truck.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/23/20 04:58 PM

Hey guys, update on my 498" Bonneville bullet using THE Block. Finally got it on the dyno at Best Machine. This endurance build with a single Quick Fuel Dominator made 947hp at 7400rpm and 690tq at 6800rpm through my first time built 2 1/4"-2 3/8"-4" collector stepped headers that fit inside the frame rails of my Daytona clone. I now wish I'd have gone with the recommendation of a 4 1/2" collector. Best Machine did a great job with the engine. Time will tell if it holds up to the task, hopefully we will make it to Speed Week in August 2020.

I will try to compress the dyno sheets and post them here.

For the life of me I cannot understand putting the effort into manufacturing the block, then half-assing the machine work. This block was advertised to be CNC'd to perfection (my interpretation), but had a miriad of issues. First block wss swapped with the company because of an epoxy repair that was unacceptable to my machine shop. The second block also had an epoxy repair, but it was acceptable (I don't know the exact problems, I trusted Best Machine to make that call).

Known issues with this specific block-
Main oil gallery to top end was not drilled through at cam tunnel!!
The bolt holes for the pan rail were not tapped deep enough, so the bolts would not engage far enough.
One oil pump hole was not tapped deep enough.
Cylinder bores did not go deep enough.
Numerous other machining shortcomings. Other posts have a list. We used a Jesel belt drive and external distributor, so not sure if this block has distributor hole problems. Also did not use the dipstick hole as this is a Dailey Engineering dry sump setup with a custom Stef's oil pan.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 03/26/20 06:15 AM

The dyno info.

Attached picture Dyno Chart 498 Sept 2019.jpg
Attached picture Dyno sheet Sept 2019 498.jpg

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/24/22 02:37 PM

Well here’s the update, I took my “Block” to Todd Marsh and he put together a low maintenance combo, it’s a 540 low deck with decent ported -1 Indy heads 1.6 rockers, pressure checked the block no issues with porosity and according to Todd the machine work had no major issues, yes the one oil pump hole is thru to the water but that can be dealt with. The trip to the dyno exceeded our expectations and the target by a few, 882hp @ 7000 and 770 ft lbs @ 5800 on C16 and if I remember correctly a 1250 carb, I am going to run it on alcohol and a Ron’s Terminator so that should bump it a little more on both ends, it should have a little grunt to it.
This has been a long time coming and no fault of Todds, getting parts is a major headache, with the Indy sale and move that was a major challenge, after a long wait for an intake Todd found a used one, nobody is making anything.
On another promising note, the rumor was around awhile back that Jason Line had bought out Bradshaw and Bulldog, and I am sure it was for the (cough) Buick side, I did email him and he replied that they were looking at the Mopar side for improvements and production so maybe he can make it go. Doug

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/24/22 02:47 PM

up
Glad to hear it worked out for you!!
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/24/22 11:02 PM

I’m sure Jason Line was looking into improving thing for the HEMI side of things as well. He is building Bucky Hess’ engines, and I’m sure anyone else that will write a check.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 12:28 PM

Good deal! Always good to hear positive news about one of the available aftermarket blocks out there.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Good deal! Always good to hear positive news about one of the available aftermarket blocks out there.

Is Jason still working out of the KB shop or does he have his own place?

I had heard he had cut his role at KB way back.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by 340Cuda
Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda

Is Jason still working out of the KB shop or does he have his own place?

I had heard he had cut his role at KB way back.

I heard he left KB, just recently.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 03:50 PM

When I sent Jason the email I sent it through KB but that was back around the first of the year.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
I’m sure Jason Line was looking into improving thing for the HEMI side of things as well. He is building Bucky Hess’ engines, and I’m sure anyone else that will write a check.

Not gonna happen.

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/25/22 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Not gonna happen.

You'd be surprised...
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: " The Block" by Bulldog Performance - 04/26/22 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by CMcAllister

Not gonna happen.

You'd be surprised...

Agreed, I do know of a racer in Ky that had an engine built by Line and he also just did some repairs on an engine for him last month.
© 2024 Moparts Forums