Posted By: rowin4

car wrap - 02/15/19 04:48 AM

anybody wrap their own race car?
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: car wrap - 02/15/19 06:55 PM

WAY cheaper than paint....Also don't look like paint smile
Posted By: rowin4

Re: car wrap - 02/16/19 12:18 AM

I was going to check out a couple of local guy's today , didn't get to it. Will try on Monday. Some stuff is really out there and I would rather have one solid color. Have watched some how to videos and it looks like something I could do . lots of color choices on the E-bay
Posted By: topside

Re: car wrap - 02/16/19 12:27 AM

I've seen guys do it in person, and even though I'm pretty good with applying large decals & chip protectors, I wouldn't want to try a wrap.
They look pretty good, but like Al says, doesn't look as good as a cut & buffed paint job.
I think the going price - depending of course on size, complexity, and difficulty - is around $2500 in my area.
As I recall, it's very thin: so any dirt in the paint, ridges from stripes, etc will show through the wrap.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: car wrap - 02/16/19 01:31 AM

You need to know some tricks and how the material behaves when you apply heat to it and such before you can get confident enough you're able to do a proper wrap-job.
The better-quality wrapvinyls will let you fix mistakes and remove creases fairly easily with hot air to get the material back to its original shape.
Use additional heat to fix it into its new 'wrapped'/stretched state.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: car wrap - 02/16/19 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
WAY cheaper than paint....Also don't look like paint smile

Not if you do it yourself... good quality vinyl costs more than I pay for materials to paint laugh2
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: car wrap - 02/16/19 02:14 AM

I've seen wraps that looked like an amateur wallpaper job, i.e. crap. I've seen it done by people who know how. I wouldn't try it on something I cared about, and I'm not afraid to try just about anything. Not worth it. Somethings are just better left to the pros while I spend time doing what I know.

I know some pretty good painters. I don't believe I would have a desire to do a wrap unless it was something specific for a sponsor or something I knew I was going to want to remove.
© 2024 Moparts Forums