Moparts

ARP main studs installation 340 with tray

Posted By: doctor_mopar

ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/18/19 07:16 PM

I am installing studs in a stroked 340 block . I see a torque spec with ARP of 110. That sounds high to me What do you Torque the main Studs to ? What do you do for main Stud Locations at rear cap that interferes with oil pump installation ? Thank You
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/18/19 10:30 PM

I was thinking that studs go in finger tight (lightly oiled) then the nut torqued to the correct ft lbs takes care of all the clamping. I had to lightly trim the pump for counterweight clearance iirc. what parts specifically are interfering?
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/18/19 10:45 PM

I used an ARP bolt under the oil pump on my small block.

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/18/19 11:27 PM

The body of the oil pump Will hit the top of the stud and nut on the drivers side rear main . Also , I am trying to determine wheter to Torque the nuts on the Studs to the mopar bolt Spec of 85 or the 110 in the General ARP info .
Posted By: madscientist

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/18/19 11:59 PM

I've used 95 on those studs for years with ARP lube or that peanut butter [censored] from Cummins or Cat or where ever it comes from.

I mill the cap down and use a short stud on the rear main so it doesn't interfere with the pump.

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/19/19 02:30 AM

I called ARP . They are sending me two Bolts for the rear main cap , and Said to torque the nuts and bolts all to 110lbs ft with their special bolt lube on threads .
Posted By: Porter67

Re: ARP main studs installation 340 with tray - 01/19/19 02:44 AM

Thats good of them to do that.

In the past ive used a arp stud and one of there thin nuts with 1/3 the top milled off both.

Other times ive just a std. oem bolt on that one side.

95 for me with arp lube as long as they are all the same and the machine work was all done with the same tq on the caps.

Shifting at 72-7400 with zero issues.

On the race blocks ive used 75-95 on the outter bolts and never seen a difference in the main bearings.

Hard area to really mess up on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums