Moparts

SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS

Posted By: A/MP

SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 04:59 AM

There is quite a bit of information or misinformation regarding the right rear shock for A body. How about a suggestion or even better, an actual A body car w/ SS springs part #. 3100 lbs A body, 385 HP, 9" converter with either a DOT drag radial or 9" slick. Thanks
Posted By: AndyF

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 05:07 AM

First thing is slide under the car with tape measure and figure out how long the shock needs to be and then you can go shopping. If you don't know the extended and collapsed length that your car needs then the odds of picking the correct shock are pretty low.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 05:33 AM

I would buy a good set of double adjustables drag race shocks that are pretty long(6to8 inches of travel), those springs should really raise the back of the car up on the kit if they are like the old SS A boody 001 and 002 springs scope
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 06:39 AM

Going to follow this closely.
Doing a similar build but am using 1ā€ lowering blocks so the back end is not so high in the air.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 08:16 AM

Next question is budget and intended usage. My car has SS springs and I am happy with the Rancho XL 9000 adjustables. It's just a single adjustable that I dial down to 2 for street driving and set them on 8 for a nice launch on the track.

Gus beer
Posted By: humpty

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 08:19 AM

I just posted a set of Ranchos (Calvert Racing) in the A Body for sale section that would work nice for that application. Cheap too!
Posted By: moparx

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By wkroncke17
Doing a similar build but am using 1ā€ lowering blocks so the back end is not so high in the air.

the rear may be sat higher on the springs due to the blocks, but the shock plate will still be in the same location, blocks or not. unless you have a custom built shock mounting plate, the length will be the same and need the same travel, but the rear being on blocks may require a different adjustment or shock than the rear without using blocks.
something to think about, but i am FAR from being an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
beer
Posted By: AndyF

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/13/19 08:18 PM

On the Duster I ended up making my own shock plates to put the shock in the correct location. I wasn't able to find shocks that fit my combination without building my own shock plates.

Attached picture DSC_2135 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_2136 (Large).JPG
Posted By: wkroncke17

Re: SHOCKS FOR SS SPRINGS - 01/14/19 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By moparx
Originally Posted By wkroncke17

the rear may be sat higher on the springs due to the blocks, but the shock plate will still be in the same location, blocks or not. unless you have a custom built shock mounting plate, the length will be the same and need the same travel, but the rear being on blocks may require a different adjustment or shock than the rear without using blocks.
something to think about, but i am FAR from being an expert by any stretch of the imagination.
beer

Great point!
Thank you!
As you can tell, Iā€™m no expert either. At 50, still learning every day!
© 2024 Moparts Forums