Moparts

Milodon External oil system simple Q:

Posted By: ZIPPY

Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 08:56 PM

What kind of hose does everyone use, regular braided hose or teflon lined?

This doesn't seem like an application where Teflon would normally be used, but thought I would ask.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 09:03 PM

Teflon would be my choice, if you can use it without kinking it up
I've use the braided black vito lined Fragola hose and fittings also for the pickup side up That hose is easier to use and make, except for getting it pushed on all the way on the fittings whiney Boiling water is your friend for assembling them up scope
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 09:04 PM

Talk with Chuck over at Best - he makes some real nice hoses for the suction side - they also put a coil spring inside the line to prevent collapse

Attached picture IMG_2206.JPG
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By DoubleD
Talk with Chuck over at Best - he makes some real nice hoses for the suction side - they also put a coil spring inside the line to prevent collapse

I'll be following this post closely. I will have my 572 completed shortly and while its on the stand I will shoemaker a couple of lines on it so I can test prime the oiling system before I glue the intake manifold on. Then I will have to bolt the engine in my Duster to finish the oiling system as its a little tight with the heads-up rules. I like those lines from Chuck. That looks like a nice set-up. I won't chance making my own lines for this one as I like the security of crimped lines.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 09:38 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Teflon would be my choice, if you can use it without kinking it up
I've use the braided black vito lined Fragola hose and fittings also for the pickup side up That hose is easier to use and make, except for getting it pushed on all the way on the fittings whiney Boiling water is your friend for assembling them up scope

Same here. Fragola on almost all of my stuff. As Cab Burge said "I've use the braided black vito lined Fragola hose and fittings also for the pickup side".

I also added some heat wrap due to how close mine come to the #1 tube due to modifying it for the rack & steering shaft

Attached picture rsz_20160414_201129.jpg

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 10:21 PM

Okay, thx for replies. Synthetic rubber/viton lined is acceptable, then.

I think I could probably use the teflon since it's a pretty straight shot in my application, but it seems more difficult to work with.

Will go with the regular stuff for now and see how I like it.

Thanks again.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 11:18 PM

I've always just used the normal braided steel hose. Nothing special and never had any issues w/ it.
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 11:38 PM

Steel braided here. Teflon will work too. It's easy to put ends on.

Attached picture IMG_0406.JPG
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/10/19 11:56 PM

I use steel braided. Examine your fittings to see if the one giong into the pan is too
Long creating a restriction. I had to trim mine quite a bit.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 12:18 AM

These days I only use the Aeroquip StartLite hose. Much easier to work with than steel braided and is more flexible. Should be fine in that application and easy to build. Cut it to length and screw on the fittings.
Posted By: a493demon

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 12:34 AM

I have braided line with GOOD fittings.
Might want to check vibrant line the -6 has a higher PSI rating then most others I would guess the -12 would be the same .
Posted By: dvw

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 01:38 AM

Standard steel braided on mine. Going on year 7.
Doug
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 01:45 AM

I used a rigid tube..
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 01:50 AM

All steel now,but when it comes time to start replacing I'm thinking the cotton braid to save more weight work

Attached picture 8.25.17 009.jpg
Attached picture 3.21.16 011.jpg
Posted By: cl440

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 02:33 AM

Regular braided is fine for that application.
Only thing we used Teflon on is fuel since we run alcohol. That being said we have used regular braided for alcohol fuel lines also. Just feel better about the Teflon in that situation now.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/11/19 03:00 AM

here is my single line set-up looped up and over never had a priming problem

Attached picture 512 and tranny build #1 031.JPG
Posted By: Tig

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/12/19 04:04 PM

15+ years using std braided hosing in that application with no issues.
Posted By: Wookie316

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/12/19 04:47 PM

For those running a Milodon system with the external adjustable relief. Anyone have a starting point as to how many turns to initially set it at? Thanks.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/12/19 06:20 PM

I know my stock pump without adjustable valve primed up at over 100 psi. I'd probably put 1 turn from flush on it and prime it with a drill. You don't need to be running the engine with an unknown oil pressure.
Posted By: Tig

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/13/19 12:58 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
I know my stock pump without adjustable valve primed up at over 100 psi. I'd probably put 1 turn from flush on it and prime it with a drill. You don't need to be running the engine with an unknown oil pressure.

What he said, I've swapped my oiling system between engines and had to adjust accordingly. KB and Indy blocks oil pathways, clearance differences etc will likely mean a change in pressure so each engine will indicate different pressures. I use the same electric drill and set the pressure at 60psi on the stand and we're good to go.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/15/19 07:32 PM

Almost got it, just need to mount the pickup.
First tried to go under the pump but that didn't work out with the filter in place. I'll leave the line a little on the long side so it can be trimmed of needed after it's installed in the car. Like so many other things it doesn't look like much but alot of thought went into it.

Attached picture 2019-01-15 12.06.58.jpg
Attached picture 2019-01-15 12.07.45.png

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/15/19 08:30 PM

Is that fitting your using on the block or the oil pump?
If on the block have you look closely at that fitting on the front of the block to see if you really want to use it?
If not please do so before you finish making your new oiling system twocents scope

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/15/19 09:16 PM

It's the one on the front of the block which then goes to the oil pump inlet. I've spent some time looking at it. Impressions:

I'm aware it's more restrictive than running hose directly into the pump via a special pump/special cover arrangement, but I also see it as an improvement over the internal pickup I was going to use previously.

That oil passage does have a reduced ID + one 90 degree turn before oil enters the pump, but I don't feel either of these things will create any issues.

I do plan on removing the restrictive hard 90 fitting from the pickup, and will use a regular bulkhead fitting + a 90 degree hose end there instead.

Posted By: rowin4

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/16/19 05:48 AM

The teflon hose requires the special PTFE fittings.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/16/19 06:06 PM

Scratch that, won't work due to lower rad hose interference.

Time for plan C.

Thanks for the advice, all.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/16/19 07:44 PM

I use the cast aluminum Milidon pump with the fitting for the second oil pick up cast into the front of it up scope
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/16/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By ZIPPY

Time for plan C.

It is tight down there. I welded on -20 weld on bungs & use -20 AN hose & fittings on my water pump housing to rad connections.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/16/19 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By 6PKRTSE

Time for plan C.

It is tight down there. I welded on -20 weld on bungs & use -20 AN hose & fittings on my water pump housing to rad connections.

Yeah, that would definitely work!

Remote electric water pump would sure work....I'd probably love that...Not sure I could bring myself to do that without the usual belt drive to go with it, but, it would be cool.

It all adds up and I don't want to out-trick myself just yet. I'll hit the "easy" button on this and will go with plan C (pump cover with bulkhead fitting sticking out). That should give me nicer routing and (very slightly) less restriction, and can keep the other things a little closer to stock for the time being.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 12:35 AM

I use 2 lines with one facing forward.I also used pre filters as Jimi Vignogna told me to. smoke

Attached picture 3.26.12 (15).jpg
Attached picture 7.15.12 (11).jpg
Attached picture 3.21.12 (12).jpg
Posted By: firefighter3931

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 01:54 AM

Time for plan C.

Hey Zippy,

Mine has the front line and I also use a factory style waterpump housing. Lower rad hose is tight but it does clear.

Ron

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By firefighter3931

Time for plan C.

Hey Zippy,

Mine has the front line and I also use a factory style waterpump housing. Lower rad hose is tight but it does clear.

Ron

So do I,sure gets crowded down there!

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:08 PM

Ron, I can "make it work" with a hard 90 bulkhead fitting sticking out of the block but I can't route the hose quite the way that I wanted. Developed a preference for a straight bulkhead fitting and 120 hose end, which takes up a lot more room, and that's what killed the idea.

Al, the world block external oil pickup hole is even closer yet to the w/p. It's workable but I feel I'd be forced to use somewhat less than ideal plumbing to use it. Since I'm only going to have one pickup line I decided it's best if it is as unobstructed as possible.

Attached picture 2019-01-17 10.34.27.jpg
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:26 PM

You can switch to passenger side inlet water pump and swap radiators. I'm not a big fan of the passenger side inlet since then it gets crowded on that side with the alternator and the TDC pointer but it can be done.
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:28 PM

Personally I would dump that oil pump and go with the newer milodon billet - A Hemi will move more oil volume than a wedge - hence the reason for two lines in - here is how we routed the front line. Milodon makes two covers for the pump depending if you are using the stock mounts or not - either way it gets real crowded down there by the oil filter

Attached picture IMG_2212.JPG

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:29 PM

Yeah I never really liked that right side inlet either.

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By DoubleD
Personally I would dump that oil pump and go with the newer milodon billet

An upgraded pump is a possiblity, and simple enough to change later if I'm not happy with the Melling.

The hard 90 coming out of the block will definitely work, but I decided I want to try routing the hose differently.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Milodon External oil system simple Q: - 01/17/19 06:59 PM

I've been using the black nylon hose for a few years with no issues. I also use on internal spring when it is going to be making tight turns for sure if not always
© 2024 Moparts Forums