Moparts

Another ATI damper question

Posted By: hemi-itis

Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 02:59 AM

I would like to step up to a crank trigger and wonder if the available ATI cover with magnets is as good as a crank trigger with magnets.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 03:17 AM

It should work just fine. Best Machine and FHO use the built in magnets in a lot of their high end builds. I make a short bracket for that setup.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 04:27 PM

The ATI with magnets is so much better looking.

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 04:46 PM

So the diameter of the magnet "wheel" has no effect on the performance of the crank trigger.I picked up a wheel and pick up,not sure if it will fit.
I know I can get a new ATI shell with magnets and just wanted to bounce it off the board so that I would use the better option.

Attached picture 9.30.181.jpg
Attached picture 9.30.182.jpg
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 05:05 PM

More of a personal preference. The damper with the magnets gives you less clutter around the damper. You already have a wheel and pickup bracket. Less money you would have to spend.

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 05:17 PM

I hear ya,still need to see if the wheel will fit under the stock WP.I hope to be able to use the wheel,if not it's an easy sale.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 05:21 PM

I have the MSD crank trigger and a stock water pump housing on my hemi w/ an ATI balancer...if you're worried about clearance.
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 06:16 PM

If you are buying new. Make sure to get a BBM Damper with a BBC bolt pattern. A lot easier to get mandrels & front accessory drive parts for a BBC. I didn't do that & had to make a lot of my front end drive pulleys, spacers brackets etc to fit for a Big block Mopar.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 07:43 PM

You do know that the outer rim of the damper does not turn exact engine speed all the time (the hub does)? I imagine it's close enough not to matter.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 07:47 PM

I'm wondering about how much, if any, the outer ring moves away from TDC from the inner hub at higher RPM? work confused
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
You do know that the outer rim of the damper does not turn exact engine speed all the time (the hub does)? I imagine it's close enough not to matter.

The ATI damper isn't the same as a factory damper. The outer shell is fixed to the inner hub so it doesn't move.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 08:57 PM

What does the shell do?
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
What does the shell do?

Attached picture 3DCEC8D5-18ED-468E-A3FE-72D23AB5E86B.png

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 09:09 PM

I did order for a mopar,the only issue I had is all the blower pulleys and spacers have a 2.25 register.So I had to open the spacer ID where it bolts onto the damper.

Attached picture 4.2.11 (5).jpg
Attached picture GARAGE 2 031.jpg
Attached picture 4.7.11 (6).jpg

Re: Another ATI damper question - 01/07/19 09:11 PM

Looking at that last pic makes me doubt the wheel will fit...... work
© 2024 Moparts Forums