Moparts

Pro mod/chassis car transmission question

Posted By: 67mprfan

Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 04:51 AM

Okay forgive me for asking a dumb question about I'm watching SO no prep show and noticed some of them don't have trans tunnels or blankets to protect them from explosion please explain to me how this is safe..... BTW Happy Holidays to everyone
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:04 AM

The trans case is SFI certified

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:48 AM

Okay that explains it .... still makes me nervous having it exposed like it is
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
The trans case is SFI certified

That doesn't allow not having a trans and drive shaft cover at any NHRA race I've attended, that wouldn't get through tech and it is not safe either down twocents
S.O. it made for TV isn't it work
Posted By: 72sat

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 07:49 AM

I was talking to a friend about the stuff I need to do to my car to make it thru tech. He told me to just go to a no prep race; they don't check sh--t. Something will happen that will change that
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:00 PM

It seems to me that the missing aluminum tunnel probably would stop much shrapnel anyway, but the big open hole would scare the crap out of me if the car caught fire.

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:25 PM

The driveshaft is covered in a chrome moly tunnel. The trans is legal setup like that.

Ryan Martins car is legal everywhere
Posted By: d7cook

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:37 PM

At the end of the day you're responsible for your own safety. Some tracks like national trail tech with a fine tooth comb. Bowling green tech is tossing the card out the window on your way by. At the no tech or poor tech tracks it scares me what you'll line up against some times.

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:39 PM

Thanks for the replies hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 05:51 PM

The tin would not stop any parts that could exit an sfi case/ bell. That being said, it would stop or slow any fluid mist/ fire. I would run it with tin for that fact alone. As far as tech, the tin would need to be off for a real tech inspection to occur. Whether or not it gets installed after tech would be up to the driver I would think.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 08:04 PM

There needs to be a floor of some sort. They can't just be open. Either a tunnel covering the area or a belly pan under the chassis. A belly pan with absorbent is actually required in ProMod with a torque converter. Driveshaft loops/tunnels and SFI cases as required. Also driver suit requirements may be different if there is an exposed transmission in the drivers compartment. Just because it's not required with proper cases, doesn't mean a person can't use a blanket on some of this stuff.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 09:18 PM

Pretty sure Ryans "Street" racer has all the required safety stuff, Belly pan, drive shaft tunnel. It is a Pro built car.

Attached picture ryan-martin.jpg

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/24/18 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By W.I.N. racing
Pretty sure Ryans "Street" racer has all the required safety stuff, Belly pan, drive shaft tunnel. It is a Pro built car.

BUT, he does not race it at any NHRA events that I know of work
Installing that carbon fiber wrap around the weld on the chassis makes it NHRA,SFI, illegal also shruggy
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Installing that carbon fiber wrap around the weld on the chassis makes it NHRA,SFI, illegal also shruggy

I blew the picture up, the CF does not cover any welds that I can see. shruggy

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 06:14 AM

I agree with the tin slowing the spread of fire into the cabin. That's why I put it in my car..
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 06:22 AM

I’m sure an onboard fire system would work better with things closed off instead of air and flames rushing in

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 07:26 AM

I have two Stroud systems in my car as well. I didn't consider racing it without them.

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By FastmOp
I have two Stroud systems in my car as well. I didn't consider racing it without them.

When I wrecked in 2010 and rolled on my roof I had my hand on my fire system handle as I slide 1/2 mile on my roof. Halon so being I couldn’t get out of the car that we my last option. I would rather suffocate than burn to death
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I would rather suffocate than burn to death

Halon is strange stuff. My first experience with it was at the bottom end with a guy who set his onboard system off by accident. Me being the inquisitive type, I stuck my head in the car to see what it smelled like. Took a breath and there was nothing there. Like drowning without the water.

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/25/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
I would rather suffocate than burn to death

Halon is strange stuff. My first experience with it was at the bottom end with a guy who set his onboard system off by accident. Me being the inquisitive type, I stuck my head in the car to see what it smelled like. Took a breath and there was nothing there. Like drowning without the water.

Some of our finishing departments in the steel mill had Halon systems under the equipment. If we were doing down-day maintenance and the alarms came on we had X amount of seconds to climb out. This was drummed into our heads.
Posted By: WedgeFED

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/26/18 07:04 AM

The drivers compartment is sealed from the back of the engine with the motor plate as a fire wall keeping driver sealed from engine area in the dragster. My legs and feet straddle the transmission. On a door car the belly pan is also added and sealed so nothing from the engine compartment can enter driver's area. Is NHRA legal. Hope this makes sense.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1477346251524.jpg
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/26/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Originally Posted By W.I.N. racing

BUT, he does not race it at any NHRA events that I know of work

Your right the car is a big piece of crap...
All the shops involved (including his) have great interest in making sure that car is legit. There have been cars running with open trans/driveshaft tunnel area in both the NHRA and IHRA, Look at NHRA pro Stockers for example.

Re: Pro mod/chassis car transmission question - 12/26/18 09:05 PM

I haven't raced at a national or divisional NHRA event since the late 1990s, they do change the rules shruggy
I have ran several of the division 6 bracket finals since then and I don't remember any door car being allowed to race without a drive shaft tunnel confused
My luck would be that if I drove a door car without a driveshaft tunnel a dang critter would crawl up into the car at the races in the pits and jump out on me during a run shock work shruggy
Every one here on Earth get to make choices everyday that affect their lives, my choice is to have a drive shaft tunnel in all of my cars up
© 2024 Moparts Forums