Moparts

Dana 60 gear oil capacity.

Posted By: dartman366

Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 03:01 AM

just pulled the aluminum LPW cover off my d-60 to check things over and cannot remember how much oil I need to put back in ,this cover has no sight plug for the correct level just a drain plug and a fill plug up at the top, I have 2 1/2 quart in it so far, how much are you drag racers running in your's?
Posted By: d330

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 03:45 AM

1 and 3/4 here..with a plain steel cover
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 03:57 AM

3 qts with the LPW cover.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 04:29 AM

Drag only? 2 quarts, if that.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 06:33 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister

The Mopar engineers that use to put on the drag seminars always recommended 1 quart gear oil max in both Dana 60 and 8 3/4 as already stated, that was for a drag only car.
I would run around 2 quarts on a street car just to be safe twocents

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 03:21 PM

ok guy's 2.5 quarts should hit the happy median then, thank's to all,, PS, the gears still look great after 14 plus years of abuse. up
Posted By: dvw

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 04:58 PM

Mine has a LPW cover. There is a level plug on the right side. 3 qts was still below that plug. What I did notice running lower levels before is that very little lube was in the axle tube. Mine had a little surface rust on the axle shafts. So this time I upped it a little. Don't know if that will help. We'll see.
Doug
Posted By: DoubleD

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 05:57 PM

It really depends on the cover - a stock cover is usually about 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 quarts - some of those cast covers hold a little more

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 06:58 PM

This cover was bought as a Jeg's house brand, no level plug in it, maybe that is why it was less expensive than the LPW unit altho it had the Ultimate 60 cast into the center outer cast in bracing and bearing cap tensioner bolts, adding another 1/2 quart would not bother me.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 08:15 PM

Wasn't there a thread on here a while ago about most of those aluminum covers causing oiling issues compared to the stock cover?

Kevin

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 08:53 PM

I think the consensus was they weren't that good for the street, by the looks of how mine is doing they seem to be ok for drag racing as mine has been on since I built the dana 14 years ago,,,same pro gears and bearings up
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 09:12 PM

I always put in 2 quarts in the dana 60
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/24/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By dartman366
just pulled the aluminum LPW cover off my d-60 to check things over and cannot remember how much oil I need to put back in ,this cover has no sight plug for the correct level just a drain plug and a fill plug up at the top, I have 2 1/2 quart in it so far, how much are you drag racers running in your's?

Stock cover, two of these

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/25/18 05:08 AM

The LPW cover has a shape conductive to fluid flow. However really no need for a braced cover on a street car. Fill the fluid to the bottom of the tube (less for drag only if you wish) and you'll be fine.
Doug
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/25/18 09:09 PM

Mopar factory spec is 2.75 quarts..

Just my $0.02.. wink
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 12/25/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

The Mopar engineers that use to put on the drag seminars always recommended 1 quart gear oil max in both Dana 60 and 8 3/4 as already stated, that was for a drag only car.

Cab, wouldn't there also be a level difference between a spool and a suregrip? shruggy
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/02/19 08:22 PM

2 quarts in a street/strip in a Dana 60. No more needed.

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/02/19 08:34 PM

They didn't recommend more or less with a spool or posi shruggy
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/02/19 10:06 PM

I have had an LPW cover on mu Camaro's dana since 2001, It is a street car that sees the racetrack once in awhile. Not one issue with the gearset or bearings at all.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/04/19 02:44 AM

Because they had shelves full of spare parts and we're competing in stock/super stock. Gear life wasn't a priority.

Whatever the service manual says is what I follow. I've never lost a race because my rear end fluid was slowing me down.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/04/19 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet
[quote=CMcAllister]Drag only? 2 quarts, if that.

Because they had shelves full of spare parts and we're competing in stock/super stock. Gear life wasn't a priority.

None of the Chrysler Engineers “raced” a car in competition. They didn’t have shelves full of parts. Mopar did though.

The Seminars never promoted anything that would cause damage or affect durability unless they prefaced that with a warning.

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/04/19 05:59 AM

I seem to remember several different Hemi cars that the race group engineers used for testing work 1968 Charger and several different A bodies along with a bunch of other pro stock type cars, IE Don Carlton Hemi Colt for Comp Eliminator shruggy

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/04/19 12:12 PM

Read my post again Cab, they used cars for testing but they never “competed”.

I never knew any of the guys that would make a statement that would lead to failures.
And I knew all of them.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/04/19 09:30 PM

As with many other things, what the factory manual says and/or recommends is not really relevant to a vehicle used exclusively for drag racing. Drag race rear ends are not subject to one of the main causes of gear oil breakdown and rear end failure, heat. Nor are they expected to reliably be ran for 100,000 miles, likely with the same oil it was put together with.

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/05/19 02:36 AM

I will back to back test 3 qt's vs 1 qt. And report the results when I hit the track in April.
Doug
Posted By: Scott58

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/05/19 10:30 PM

Looking forward to the results of this test!

Re: Dana 60 gear oil capacity. - 01/06/19 12:39 AM

Doug won’t see any improvement.

He’s making too much power.

Now if he was running N/SA with a /6 he may see some improvement. 😂😂
© 2024 Moparts Forums