Moparts

Push rod oiling

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 03:54 AM

Can you have too much oil to the pushrod cup? The hydraulic roller lifters I'm looking at for my cam change have pushrod oiling and I was wondering what pushrods to order. I don't have any adjuster cup issues right now but my new cam profile is a little more aggressive than my current solid flat cam.

Gus beer
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 04:13 AM

When I sent oil up just the exhaust PR on a gen 2 with no hole in the adjuster 15 lbs of OP was lost.Did my friends wedge with all 16 PR with no oil hole in the adjuster and also lost 15 lbs of OP.Use a 20 or 30 thou restrictor and the op came right back.
I think it is good as the wedge cups tend to burn in particular cases.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 04:13 AM

I have the Morel high rpm hydro rollers in my 512, my push rods are for oiling & also the stock timed rocker oiling, I did this instead of grooving the cam for full time rocker oiling, 2k miles & some track, good so far.
Posted By: DGS

Re: Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 05:39 AM

I've been thinking about using pushrod oiling just for the cups and still use the regular rocker shaft oiling. That means using restrictors -does it make a difference on which end (or both) of the pushrod I put in the restrictors? Or can I get pushrods with smaller than usual oiling holes (so that no restrictor is needed)? I'd like to use Manton or Trend pushrods.
Posted By: tubtar

Re: Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 06:56 AM

I had Manton make my pushrods and went with .020 restrictors.......still brings plenty of oil to the top end.
I oriented the restrictors to the bottom ( lifter side ) just because according to my best guess , any additional weight would have less impact from down there.
Posted By: dvw

Re: Push rod oiling - 11/24/18 04:11 PM

Think about most Indy heads feed 8 valves from a .040" orifice. The area of 8 .020" feeds far exceeds that. The pushrods I inherited were .090". Oil pressure never went over 45lbs. After a few tries I ended up pressing roll pins into the pushrods. There are approximately .058". larger feed than I would like, but oil pressure is manageable now. Runs 70psi@7000.
Doug
© 2024 Moparts Forums