Moparts

a friend declined a trans job (better headline) hehehe

Posted By: theraif

a friend declined a trans job (better headline) hehehe - 11/18/18 06:19 AM

a customer on a 727 mopar im building says he doesnt need bolt in sprag...its a 1969 roadrunner 500 inch stroked 440.....i declined the job
Posted By: Hot 340

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 06:48 AM

He was right. Dont need one.
Posted By: dart games

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 06:51 AM

I would decline too
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 11:01 AM

Topic title and topic contents don't match.
Posted By: dvw

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 03:35 PM

I do not use them. I've seen even Super Sprags fail. If its a race trans and someones worried, they need a good drum. No other way around it. Even a LBA valve body equipped unit can fail a sprag, seen it.
Doug
Posted By: GY3

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 03:50 PM

No need for one unless the case is wore and won't hold the original.

I would venture to say our 727 gets as much or more abuse than anyone else on here. The car is usully driven twice a week (and not easily!), sees dragstrip action during the summer most every weekend I can and has over 5500 miles on this setup.

It is surprising how much power our relatively stock 727 has taken. I put good clutches and steels in it, a Cheetah fwd pattern manual valvebody and removed the governor.

I always shift to 2nd in the burnout box and have always torn it down for inspection after driveline failures.
Posted By: BradH

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

Regardless... popcorn
Posted By: B G Racing

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 06:21 PM

This has been a topic quite often debated and the reality of the sprag or overrunning clutch is simple.Failure is a result of improper use or the result of component failure some where else.When failure occurs elsewhere and a sudden lockup occurs the overrunning clutch usually fails no matter how many rollers it contains,likewize improper use such as Ultra high RPM during a burnout or a high RPM flareup during a component failure usually will cause failure.If your stock overrunning is good there is no need to replace it,if it bad then any of the aftermarket replacement can be used.My take on supersprags is they are a excellent replacement if needed,but be cautious and operate the trans properly.Don't think that it will guard against stupity,it may just be that many little bullits flying out of the case.Dont think of a supersprag as invinciable.
Respectfully Bob
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By B G Racing
This has been a topic quite often debated and the reality of the sprag or overrunning clutch is simple.Failure is a result of improper use or the result of component failure some where else.When failure occurs elsewhere and a sudden lockup occurs the overrunning clutch usually fails no matter how many rollers it contains,likewize improper use such as Ultra high RPM during a burnout or a high RPM flareup during a component failure usually will cause failure.If your stock overrunning is good there is no need to replace it,if it bad then any of the aftermarket replacement can be used.My take on supersprags is they are a excellent replacement if needed,but be cautious and operate the trans properly.Don't think that it will guard against stupity,it may just be that many little bullits flying out of the case.Dont think of a supersprag as invincible.
Respectfully Bob

iagree well stated

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 07:21 PM

Nothing is bulletproof. Sometimes you just do what you can to minimize or mitigate the weak links.

I'd read about people having sprag failures, front drum explosions, etc., and assumed it was something only "faster" cars needed to worry about. Then I was watching from the starting line when an 11.0 car's 727 puked on the hit, including the "big bang" from the stock front drum coming apart. The driver had to be helped out of the car by the track personnel because he was injured when the drum grenaded.

My junk was only as fast as that car was at that time, but my trans got pulled down and upgraded with a billet front drum, bolt-in sprag, and a few other things recommended by 440Jim at the time. I'm switching back to a LBA valve body now, too. It still won't be bulletproof, but it might be a little more stupidproof.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/18/18 10:03 PM

Parts don't have to be failed to be good candidates for replacement. Roller clutch parts that show wear are liable to hit the can. It's not like they are expensive or unobtainable.

And it's okay to decline work from someone who wants to nickle and dime you on everything. They will be the first to expect it to be fixed for free when it breaks, regardless how they broke it.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/19/18 01:45 AM

A customer who believes his opinion is superior to your is a problem in utero. If he wants to be the general contractor my responsibility is greatly reduced.
My old partner used to deal with this by raising the price substantially: if he refuses, he still thinks you do excellent work (more money always means better work to a squirrel), if he pays you have a cushion against complaints.

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/19/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By BigBlockMopar

Still don't, despite indication of having been edited.

Maybe the OP has a multiple personality disorder.
Posted By: theraif

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/19/18 05:15 AM

no just other disorders

Attached picture 999c30a2397a759c4a9c34738551b2f6.jpg

Re: a friend sent a customer away - 11/19/18 02:04 PM

So you know my ex-wife, eh?
© 2024 Moparts Forums