Moparts

Race oil from 1995

Posted By: Iowan

Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 12:50 AM

I have five five gallon buckets of Valvoline racing oil from 1995, I have been wondering if is still good, would you guys use it?
The engine builders that do my work saw use it, is the good stuff.
I just dont know
Thank's for your input
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 01:01 AM

I would use it in a heart beat. I have 40 gal of 15-40 delvac setting in my basement for 10 yrs.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 01:08 AM

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-motor-oil

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/motor-oil-shelf-life

http://ultralube.com.au/shelf-life-of-engine-oil/

Especially note the mention of additives dropping out of suspension.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 01:22 AM

Personally Heck yes I'd use it. Best to store it above freezing, and if you see any additive settling agitate it first.

Lately the oil companies say 3 to 4 year shelf life. Some even have a "use by" date on the package. use best judgement.

I used the last of my SAE30 Valvoline racing oil (had lots on hand, purchased for next to nothing in 1988) right around 2002 or 3.

On the other side of the coin...although many talk about the old formulas like they were something amazing, in alot of cases they had next to nothing for additives...in many cases had metallic additives like copper....for the most part modern oils are better.

If you don't want to use it in a high dollar race motor, at least run it in an old tractor or something.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 03:00 AM

Yes I would, no problem.

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 03:06 AM

I looked at it and it still that golden brown. It's been in the basement all this time.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 03:45 AM

As long as it wasn’t Quaker State sludge.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 03:51 AM

I would be tempted, and would heat it up above 220F, to boil in water that has condensed in it first before using it up twocents work
I've did that before and didn't know to put a lid on the container I was using to heat the oil in realcrazy Water, being heavier than oil, will sink to the bottom of the container and them make steam bubbles as it is heated above the boiling temps and make a mess of the top of the stove your heating it on so use a good fitting lid that will let the steam out without making a mess on top of the stove thumbs
Posted By: SportF

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/16/18 10:44 PM

It was in the ground a million years and it didn't go bad...…………...

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/17/18 04:13 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I would be tempted, and would heat it up above 220F, to boil in water that has condensed in it first before using it up twocents work
I've did that before and didn't know to put a lid on the container I was using to heat the oil in realcrazy Water, being heavier than oil, will sink to the bottom of the container and them make steam bubbles as it is heated above the boiling temps and make a mess of the top of the stove your heating it on so use a good fitting lid that will let the steam out without making a mess on top of the stove thumbs

I've got a Turkey frier with a larger pot, I wonder how that would work?
Only one of the buckets has been opened, but I've Hurd something about heating the oil before using to resuspend the additives.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Race oil from 1995 - 11/20/18 06:24 PM

Yes I think they should be agitated well before using. BUT, if you have such a large
quantity, send a sample after agitating to get it lab tested. They can compare it with the original specs for the oil. I bet it passes with flying colors.

Blackstone Labs comes immediately to mind, as does Titan labs. You're looking at something like $25 for a test. Or do a Google search for motor oil analysis and take your pick.

R.
© 2024 Moparts Forums