Moparts

The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming.

Posted By: pittsburghracer

The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 05:40 PM

GREAT job NHRA. They already went to an 18 race schedule for next year and then this.

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-raci...NkK-ymIlCB2usPo
Posted By: max_maniac

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 05:53 PM

Good move - I like the Factory Stock Showdown class as it is more like the old Pro Stock as it depicts more of a factory available car. Now IF NHRA will let it grow as is and stop making stupid changes to benefit one brand over the other it could be interesting!!!
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By max_maniac
Good move - I like the Factory Stock Showdown class as it is more like the old Pro Stock as it depicts more of a factory available car. Now IF NHRA will let it grow as is and stop making stupid changes to benefit one brand over the other it could be interesting!!!

It will be just like old school pro stock. Stupid changes to “level” the playing field (aka: make sure the Camaro has every advantage).
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 06:42 PM

Like,After Alan went to Elite power I was done.This is an exciting class and has my attention!! GO LEA up
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 07:29 PM

I think NHRA is just letting natural attrition kill the class off so they don't get sued.

Rest assured, the big money is already coming in to FS and the problems are starting.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/15/18 10:04 PM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
I think NHRA is just letting natural attrition kill the class off so they don't get sued.

Rest assured, the big money is already coming in to FS and the problems are starting.

The big money is already there, they might as well call it at a "pro" class.
Posted By: topside

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 01:09 AM

Here's a thought:

Separate FS into ProFS & FS.
Pro gets to run more tire, maybe race gas instead of pump for the regular FS, basically kind of optimize the FS car like way back in the SS days of the 60s-70s.
Maybe the money then gravitates to ProFS instead of screwing up FS.
But it may be too late. It's kind of a vicious spiral, the whole performance/parts/money/factory-involvment thing; eventually the regular guy gets pushed out unless the rules are very strict.
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 03:44 PM

iagree

I also think lack of interest in racing from the younger generation isn't helping things either. twocents
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 06:00 PM

Pro Teams and big money really have no place in the sportsman pits. The "regular Joe" efforts were already being outclassed by the Barton's, etc. But now with pro teams getting involved, bringing in crew chiefs, etc. I understand you have to pay to play, but I feel the class will spin out of control.

Good for spectating, but less good for the guys trying to run the class...
Posted By: hankcrank

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 06:25 PM

NHRA eventually destroys every class it conceives by allowing rule changes every year until the average racer can't be competitive because of the cost.Go to your Mopar,Chevy or Ford dealer and buy a show room factory stock car and see if it will run 8 seconds flat. It takes a lot of cash and R&R to run that fast and the cost will escalate every year as NHRA allows more changes to get lower ET's
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 06:44 PM

NHRA doesn't destroy anything. People with big egos and big wallets coming in and spending millions to make hundreds are what screws it up. Don't want to spend it? Go buy a lower class Stocker. Plenty of those for sale, cheap.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
NHRA doesn't destroy anything. People with big egos and big wallets coming in and spending millions to make hundreds are what screws it up. Don't want to spend it? Go buy a lower class Stocker. Plenty of those for sale, cheap.

For DA TRUTH .... anyone remember Bob Morgan and Big Thunder Marine ? .... I was at the Key West super boat finals and he was being interviewed and asked a question like that .... WHY do you spend that kind of money to win VIRTUALLY NOTHING. He didn't even have to ponder that question ...

It's .... ALL ABOUT THE GLORY .. He said !!!

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By OUTLAWD

Pro Teams and big money really have no place in the sportsman pits. The "regular Joe" efforts were already being outclassed by the Barton's, etc. But now with pro teams getting involved, bringing in crew chiefs, etc. I understand you have to pay to play, but I feel the class will spin out of control.

Good for spectating, but less good for the guys trying to run the class...

My question would be:
what's considered the "average joe" in drag racing these days?shruggy

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 08:20 PM

Average? Local? Regional? Brackets? Fast brackets/TS? Class?

Starting from scratch, $100k for everything would get you a pretty good start with nice stuff in some of those choices. In some others, not so much. The tow rig is where you have some options for how much you spend. A pick up and open trailer will get you there. A motorhome and enclosed trailer of some sort is much better.

Many years ago, someone interviewing Jim Dunn asked him "How much money does it take to race?" He said, "All of it."

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 08:47 PM

What I found hilarious was when the Cobra Jets came out in '08 there were guys in A,B,and C Stock crying their eyes out about them because they weren't the big dogs anyore. Yet, these same guys cried about the idea of adding weight to go down classes and get away form the CJ's.

Buddy of mine sold a V/SA Diplomat that ran 1.00 under easy and held the record twice. He ended up nearly giving it away because there is no "glory" in the lower classes.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/16/18 09:06 PM

Average? Local? Regional? Brackets? Fast brackets/TS? Class?

Starting from scratch, $100k for everything would get you a pretty good start with nice stuff in some of those choices. In some others, not so much. The tow rig is where you have some options for how much you spend. A pick up and open trailer will get you there. A motorhome and enclosed trailer of some sort is much better.

Many years ago, someone interviewing Jim Dunn asked him "How much money does it take to race?" He said, "All of it."

Agreed. There are all kinds of levels in racing, but when someone says "average joe" it's a relevant statement ... by who's standards?

I'm not sure my budget would allow me to be what the average joe even is. $100K would be well past my wallet, which is why I stick to local brackets/index/tuning stuff.
I guess it depends on if you see it as a hobby,an obsession or business.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 01:18 AM

There's no such thing as heads-up racing for "average Joes". Money will always ruin it.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 02:56 AM

There's no such thing as heads-up racing for "average Joes". Money will always ruin it.

This. So true.
Posted By: dartman366

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 03:15 AM

I am a firm believer that holds true in just about any motor sport where there is competition, in order to be and remain competetive, cubic dollars will rule.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 03:23 AM

And my car has set in the basement for basically 8 years because of this. Anybody want to buy a fast Colt?
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By dartman366
I am a firm believer that holds true in just about any motor sport where there is competition, in order to be and remain competetive, cubic dollars will rule.
I agree. $$$$$ plus brains will always comeout on top eventually, as the competition sharpens up and things get competitive in the extreme. The ability to try more things due to extra$$$ will win the day.
In a back handed way, Bob Glidden said it best. "We are all idiots; the guy that trys the most stuff wins" I don't agree with the idiot part, but Bob kept about a 100 hr per week work schedule, and ruled ProStock for years as a result.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By mopacltd
And my car has set in the basement for basically 8 years because of this. Anybody want to buy a fast Colt?

Don't build it to be the fastest guy, just make it run and have fun with it.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 03:46 PM

One of my favorite Meme's

Jeff Verdi is the racer I believe, raking in the big bucks with an old dually and an open trailer.

Posted By: 11secdart

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 04:01 PM

I have been doing some index racing the last couple of years, its heads up, does`t cost a fortune and there are plenty of average Joes. Of course the lower the index the more it cost 10.00 and 8.50 for example.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 06:34 PM

Index racing is not heads up Racing. It’s index Racing just like the super classes that most guys hate and bad mouth.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 08:45 PM

Sorry don't agree , both cars leave together first to stripe wins, both dialed the same that to me is heads up, however it is like the super classes minus the electronics at least in 11.50 and 12.50 even then only a trans brake is allowed but not in 12.50 according to Northeast Index Racers Assoc. rules which are the rules most of the index tracks around here use. I know there are other types of " heads up " racing that are completely different.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 09:01 PM

What-ever but in index racing the first to the stripe doesn't always win. Not if he runs UNDER the index. If you want to call yourself a heads-up racer to your buddies go right ahead BUT in real life you are an index racer. Kinda like bracket racer only someone else is setting your dial.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
What-ever but in index racing the first to the stripe doesn't always win. Not if he runs UNDER the index. If you want to call yourself a heads-up racer to your buddies go right ahead BUT in real life you are an index racer. Kinda like bracket racer only someone else is setting your dial.

iagree

To the spectators it "appears" heads up tho.

Kevin

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 09:47 PM

Ok Mr can`t race Chryslers at Carlisle/South Mountain because its 1/8 mile then start bragging about 1/8 racing a few months later. What ever

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 09:49 PM

Semantics to me. Heads up means both cars leave together with no handicap. Some heads up racing is also with breakout rules in effect. Then there's pro tree, heads up with breakout rules, like Super Gas, which is a lot of fun BTW.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/17/18 09:53 PM

Typical Moparts get crucified for an opinion why do I even bother, I`m done

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 03:25 AM

There is no breakout in a heads up race. A index race is just a bracket race where everyone runs on the same dial.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 03:56 AM

Wally parks just hit mach 7 spinning into the core of the earth to distance himself from these non racers running nhra right into oblivion

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By justinp61
There is no breakout in a heads up race. A index race is just a bracket race where everyone runs on the same dial.

Bingo. This guy gets it.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 04:24 AM

And it's not even Thanksgiving yet. laugh2

But yeah, if you can break out you're bracket racing. boogie
Posted By: topside

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 06:40 AM

Hey, just wait 'til winter hits...somebody on another thread was already bustin' nuts over a geographical approximation...
Posted By: madscientist

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61

Bingo. This guy gets it.

You know the sport is in dire waters when drag racers don't differentiate between index and heads up racing.

They ain't the same.

Throttle stop racing sucks. Yes I've done it. I'd rather go bowling. I'd rather have two cars line up, handicap start and run flat out to the finish.

We barely have that any more. Guys running 9.90 at 170 (or better). Silly really. And virtually every single guy I know who isn't a drag racer never "gets" why the cars move 2 feet and shut off.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 05:47 PM

And NHRA allows it to happen, so yes, they are to blame.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 05:59 PM

And another thread gets away from OP.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 10:15 PM

Well let's see. First sentence of the Super Gas section of the NHRA rulebook. "Super Gas cars race on a 9.900 standard (that's the index) using a heads-up, .4-second Pro Tree." I don't make this stuff up. shruggy

And heads up, pro tree, .90 racing is fun. Not easy, but fun.
Posted By: actionange

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By Twostick

iagree

To the spectators it "appears" heads up tho.

Kevin

“Spectators?” You have them at your track...?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/18/18 11:23 PM

Well let's see. First sentence of the Super Gas section of the NHRA rulebook. "Super Gas cars race on a 9.900 standard (that's the index) using a heads-up, .4-second Pro Tree." I don't make this stuff up. shruggy

And heads up, pro tree, .90 racing is fun. Not easy, but fun.

The guy who wrote the rule book isn't a racer.

It's heads up when two cars leave on the same light and the guy who gets there first, wins. That's a heads up race.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/19/18 12:17 AM

Don’t read anything past the heads up type tree and you got it. I have nothing against it but a heads up tree isn’t heads up Racing. Lite flashes smash the loud pedal and first one to the line wins. There ain’t no looking over your shoulder in heads up Racing.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/19/18 03:41 AM

If you're running for a number (index) whether you choose it or the class dictates it and you lose by running under that number it's not a heads up race. There are no break outs in a heads up race, period.
Posted By: JT612GTX

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/20/18 06:35 AM

irregardless back to the original statement, let the pro stock camaro run its course,people will get tired of it and ratings will plunge, support the true sportsmen, grass roots racers, we are the ones that keep this sport alive at our local tracks, now Dave Rieff is leaving NHRA, left with Tony, really? another reason not to watch!!
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/20/18 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By JT612GTX
irregardless back to the original statement, let the pro stock camaro run its course,people will get tired of it and ratings will plunge, support the true sportsmen, grass roots racers, we are the ones that keep this sport alive at our local tracks, now Dave Rieff is leaving NHRA, left with Tony, really? another reason not to watch!!

Brian Lohnes will do an outstanding job, Tony, not so much.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/20/18 04:22 PM

I have to admit I haven't watched NHRA Drag racing on TV all year especially NHRAs version of IROC were all the cars are the same only different colors which is what Pro Stock is now. I did watch the World Finals to see if my friend was on the starting line as he was crewing on a N.J. Based Pro Stock team. On the subject of TV did anyone catch the segment of " Madam Secretary" filmed at Raceway Park? Showing a Stock car at a former drag strip. Kind of opened up some old wounds for me. Wrong on two accounts, they didn't race Stock cars there and it's no longer a car racing facility.

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/20/18 06:06 PM

The nhra started killing PS several years ago, instead of cutting it's throat (think PS truck) they've made a series of small cuts to allow the class to slowly bleed to death.

Money (and the nhra) will ruin the factory showdown class too, it's already becoming a rich persons playground. I'll enjoy watching it while I can.
Posted By: BobR

Re: The hits to Pro Stock Camaro keep coming. - 11/21/18 07:35 PM

Exactly. Great observation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums