Moparts

Need some help IDing a cam

Posted By: pittsburghracer

Need some help IDing a cam - 11/07/18 01:44 AM

The last few used engines I bought I got a little sloppy keeping track of my cams. I know its a small block roller cam and I'm pretty sure this one was a 48 degree dirt track grind. Here are some numbers off the end.

308-5
B6552
488A
R9

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2nd question

Do slightly used (1) or slightly damaged ( 1 or 2 ) billet roller cams from the late 1970's early 1980's have any value?
these were the often used R286 Duration 750 lift cams common back then
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Need some help IDing a cam - 11/07/18 01:47 AM

Don't know about the first cam, but the other cams with a couple of dinged up lobes are at the least worth core money. You can weld and regrind them (which I'm sure you know) as long as the new lobe isn't a huge change from what you have.

And as long as they are 8620 cores. The cast cores probably have little value.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Need some help IDing a cam - 11/07/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By madscientist
Don't know about the first cam, but the other cams with a couple of dinged up lobes are at the least worth core money. You can weld and regrind them (which I'm sure you know) as long as the new lobe isn't a huge change from what you have.

And as long as they are 8620 cores. The cast cores probably have little value.

Pretty sure these were referred to as billet cams. Cam technology has changed so much over the years with higher spring pressures that I swore if I ever had valve spring issues I would go back and try one again, but I've been pretty lucky. I ran 9.82 with one at 2800 pounds with a stock crank, 906 heads, and TRW pistons over 30 years ago so they worked pretty good. Most of my stuff now that I'm working on has over .825 lift (and up)
© 2024 Moparts Forums