Moparts

What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke

Posted By: theraif

What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/23/18 11:13 PM

https://www.dragzine.com/news/what-are-the-odds-two-track-bystanders-struck-in-same-weekend/
Posted By: Silver70

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/23/18 11:22 PM

Not the way I expected to see someone hit... still waiting to see a crowd of people like at all the no prep races get hit.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 12:18 AM

I can't believe either one of those poor guys needed to be there without being part of the crew for that car or even thought of watching the cars backing up tsk
I don't like anyone getting hurt, especially at race tracks down
But they reaped what they sowed shruggy
I've had to shut my car off when street racing years ago because some idiot was to close the side of the road in front of the starting line, even parked his car out there with his girl friend in the car using the inside mirror to put make up on shock runaway
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 12:44 AM

Years ago a guy got backed over down at Mid State. He sued as and won, and the guys running the track ended up losing the track over it.
Posted By: madscientist

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 12:47 AM

I've been to many different forms of motorsports my entire life. This proves you can't fix stupid, and stupid hurts.

The guy that got hit by the mustang had his head down and his hands in his pocket. Both idiotic things. You NEVER take your eyes off a car like that. He got exactly what he needed, as you can rest assured he won't do that again.

The other dude who got backed into violated the exact same rule. He took his eyes off the car.

The track belongs to the car. Keep your head up, your eyes open and pay attention or go golfing.

Maybe, just maybe, those two morons learned something. If not, they will become a statistic somewhere along the line.

I don't feel bad for either one.
Posted By: topside

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 01:50 AM

The phrase "situational awareness" appears to be lost on most folks nowadays.

Another word that comes to mind is "Darwinism"...
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 02:19 AM

I saw the guy get hit at VMP on livestream. No clue what he was thinking. When in that area (beyond front of staging lanes), I won't turn my back on a car without a wall between us. If I'm watching a car on the starting line, I'm aware of what's going on in the water. And I get back over the wall as soon as I see what I need to see. Not a place to be hanging out. I've seen bad stuff happen more than once, or even twice. Completely unnecessary.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 03:03 AM

I agree with madscientist ,but will add that some of these drivers reverse fast and they should be and normally are, controlled by two guys or one guy with headset when backing up so there is a few learning from this me thinks.
Posted By: jcc

Re: What Are The Odds? Two Track Bystanders Struck In Same Weeke - 10/24/18 03:44 AM

I remember years back At Carlisle they had a portable trailer mounted dyno. Had hundreds standing still nearby watching the show. Wheels were at about eye level. The amount of potential hazards during many 500+ hp runs made me promptly leave area. There were no effective protective guards/shields in place. Few seem to have any concern. With all those moving parts fully stressed, at high speeds, seemed like it was only a matter of time.
© 2024 Moparts Forums