Moparts

where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers?

Posted By: radar

where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/23/18 05:33 PM

Howdy

I’m sorting out details on my street 512. I got a set of M/T valve covers that already have the push in chrome breathers with male barbs for 5/8” hose.

I’d always rather run a pcv and a breather but I’m fine with just running two breathers.

My motor is stuffed deep into my firewall so I’m running a kind of dual snorkel carb hat intake with cone filters. I’m not sure that I want to have a barb or barbs tigged to the aluminum air cleaner hat. If I had a big old round air filter I’d probably just run hosebarbs off the bottom of it.

Has anybody run breather hoses to a remote air filter? Or just down to the ground like a draft tube? Probably would be a driveway stainer and a track no-no for sure... what’s the low buck way to not cover my engine bay in a sheen of oil mist that will hook up to dual 5/8” line? My holley 950hp doesn’t have a vac port in the base and I don’t want to use the npt tap in my edelbrock rpm intake for anything except power brakes- doesn’t seem right to send a lean oily mix to just that one runner.

Should I be looking at a catch can? Any cheap options like repurposed shop air tool h20 seperators or home depot stuff that I could hack or tuck away? I’m not a tig welder so fabricating vessels is not my specialty.

Thanks!
Radar

Attached picture BEF8922D-951C-4F3B-9642-87E25C4A6EFD.jpeg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/23/18 06:23 PM

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but I would have a breather on one side & the PCV on the other side.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/23/18 06:34 PM

I've run them open with nothing attached, I've attached hoses to pan evac, I've run hoses down to the frame somewhere like road draft, and I've also not used any breathers and just ran hoses to a breather tank.

They all work but the breather tank approach makes an oil change a little slower (have to pull the distributor to dump oil in quickly since there's nowhere else to fill it).

Pan evac is ok, I got 1" vacuum even with mufflers, tested with a gauge.
However I didn't like the proximity to my oxygen sensor so i got rid of that and currently have them open again. Also decided I didn't like the appearance of the hoses. Full circle....

pcv on one side, breather on the other will reduce oil contamination on a true all weather street app (mine isn't anymore).

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/23/18 06:49 PM

Hi Robert!

Yeah like I said I always prefer the pcv and breather- it’s the one emmissions device that’s also a performance enhancer- but I hate tracking down the right stuff to go into aftermarket valvecover grommets. These already have grommets and dual stainless breathers. I don’t have a tap in my carb base to suck on a pcv, no room to put a spacer under it and tap a hosebarb, and noplace good to hook up a pcv in general.

I’m not going to be daily driving this thing and I didn’t know if there was a better idea than having a tig buddy put hosebarbs into the aluminum snorkels.

Anybody that’s using this type of breather wanna say how theirs is routed? I’m thinking the evac setup might not be a good idea on a street car with mufflers...

Here’s a couple sketches to show what I’m thinking

Attached picture C699F8A3-0613-44E0-9B40-09A4C1829682.jpeg
Posted By: CSK

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/23/18 07:00 PM

The 1st picture is basically the way I did mine.

Attached picture 44598630_1961097237282309_7993352386066251776_n.jpg
Posted By: 383man

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/24/18 04:44 AM

I run the hose on the open breather down along side the bellhousing. I did not want oil spitting on the valve cover but it never spits any oil out of the hose anyway. The other side I run a PCV valve since its a 99% street driven car. Ron

Posted By: DrCharles

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/24/18 05:09 AM

Since you're running a PCV, isn't that open hose sucking in unfiltered air? work
Posted By: RATTRAP

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/24/18 02:56 PM

I would have the breathers up in the front of the engine on the valve covers as to help reduce sucking up oil under acceleration.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/24/18 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hi Robert!

Here’s a couple sketches to show what I’m thinking
Hi buddy! The (2) hoses from each breather would need to be T'd into each other THEN a single hose from that T routed to a common breather or pan evac etc other wise you'd have vac pulling equally on each valve cover side which ain't give any flow cuz there wouldn't be any pressure differential which is required for something to move/change. EDIT total brain fart on my part/CORRECTION: vac should go to only ONE valve cover
Posted By: 383man

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/24/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
Since you're running a PCV, isn't that open hose sucking in unfiltered air? work

No that breather has a filter in it. Ron

Re: where do you rout your dual 5/8” vc breathers? - 10/25/18 07:29 AM

Robert-

I have no place to hook up a vacuum source it’s a race carb and no room for a tapped spacer under it.

Those drawings are me looking for a clean way to run the dual breathers- into the carb hat, or into an external breather.

I would like a pcv but din’t see where I could hook it up to vacuum. Son’t wanna give a lean dirty mix to #7 thru the power brake vac tap in my rpm intake.
© 2024 Moparts Forums