Moparts

Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP?

Posted By: BobR

Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/22/18 08:04 PM

We tried it and, so far, are unhappy with the results. Car runs noticeably better and builds boost quicker with the mag. We're starting to think we may have done something wrong. Anyone else make the switch?
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/22/18 08:24 PM

It's hard to beat a mag. It's that simple. I see many cars that would benefit from a mag. Convincing them the car needs is a tough sell.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/22/18 08:29 PM

We went the other way MSD 7AL3 to Mag
Car runs better with the mag.
Don't have all the bells and whistles the box had but the car runs better.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/22/18 09:45 PM

Called Fueltech. They said our results are typical...worse down low then as good at higher engine speed/loads. Maybe with some combinations that works. With ours' it doesn't. With our cam, intake runner size and a couple of other things we do differently we need all the help down low that we can get. From our conversation with Fueltech(typical results and not an anomaly) it's coming off and the mag back on. Very disappointed as the COP does have some technical and weight advantages but power is first and foremost with us.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/22/18 10:08 PM

That sux. But it's why we test
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 12:04 AM

What fuel, what gap? Alot of people try to run to wide of a gap with cop.
100 hp/ cylinder should be around .022 .
Seen meth cars run .015 with 30 psi boost.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 12:41 AM

Check out the vids I posted in this thread....lots of info.

https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2543449

And for the short attention span group like me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=ewNUmH8Y4HY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=L6ixhFhHOok

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
What fuel, what gap? Alot of people try to run to wide of a gap with cop.
100 hp/ cylinder should be around .022 .
Seen meth cars run .015 with 30 psi boost.

Methanol with 60+ pounds of boost. We run between .010-.015. just depends.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By Dragula

One of those videos was the reason we tried to switch. Again...doesn't seem to work as well as the mag for us. Still hoping to find something we may have missed but unless we do the mag is going back on.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 02:24 AM

Do you know any of the guys who are running really well with COP and similar boost? There are probably only a few dozen guys in the whole country who have a handle on that sort of combo.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
Do you know any of the guys who are running really well with COP and similar boost? There are probably only a few dozen guys in the whole country who have a handle on that sort of combo.

We have a handle on the mag combo. The more I read about the operational logistics of the COP the more I wish I would have left it in the box. It's really hard to get information from other racers. Especially info that was difficult for them to obtain. I will keep asking and maybe something useful will come to my attention.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 04:22 PM

Very interesting.

What coils are you using with the COP?

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 06:02 PM

Have you talked to Rich at FastManEFI? Rich has been running COP for at least 10 years on various cars. He probably has some boosted customers but I'm not sure about your level of boost.

Do you think it is an electrical issue? Just not enough amps available to fire the plugs with COP? Or do you think it is something else such as timing stability? I'd think COP would have some advantages but I guess it all depends on the details. With the amount of power you guys are building it would be difficult to run tests.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda
Very interesting.

What coils are you using with the COP?

The coils that came with the Fueltech. Fitspark8 and their smart coils.
https://www.fueltech.net/products/smart-ignition-coil

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 06:47 PM

Have you talked to Rich at FastManEFI? Rich has been running COP for at least 10 years on various cars. He probably has some boosted customers but I'm not sure about your level of boost.

Do you think it is an electrical issue? Just not enough amps available to fire the plugs with COP? Or do you think it is something else such as timing stability? I'd think COP would have some advantages but I guess it all depends on the details. With the amount of power you guys are building it would be difficult to run tests.

From what I am beginning to understand it's the decreased duration of the spark(as compared to our 48 amp mag) that somehow can cause a lazy condition at lower RPM's. This may not be true for every combination but it seems to be with ours'.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 06:49 PM

If you want real, tested info on COP ignition, find Lance Nist. He holds several patents in ignition systems. He would be the first person i would contact for a maximized ignition.

Isn’t that Alepa Hemi from PLR running COP? Like 5200hp on meth?

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 09:20 PM

Spark duration can be adjusted but it might get expensive. Since you have 8 coils there is plenty of time for each coil to do its thing. But everything has to be sized correctly and there needs to be a bunch of amps available. I have very little knowledge of what it takes once you get to the high boost that you guys are running so I'm not sure if the parts you need are even available. I'd think that from a physics standpoint the COP setup would be superior but I don't know if the engineers have made it happen yet.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 09:34 PM

Spark duration can be adjusted but it might get expensive. Since you have 8 coils there is plenty of time for each coil to do its thing. But everything has to be sized correctly and there needs to be a bunch of amps available. I have very little knowledge of what it takes once you get to the high boost that you guys are running so I'm not sure if the parts you need are even available. I'd think that from a physics standpoint the COP setup would be superior but I don't know if the engineers have made it happen yet.

It depends on who you ask Andy. If you ask me they haven't made it happen yet.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 09:37 PM

If you want real, tested info on COP ignition, find Lance Nist. He holds several patents in ignition systems. He would be the first person i would contact for a maximized ignition.

Yes. We've been 209.46 in the 1/8th at 3100 pounds. That figures to be 4600+-. Peak power doesn't seem to be the issue. It's idle thru about 4000 where we are having issues but with turbos you have to get them up on boost before anything happens.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 09:40 PM

Fuel Injection Enterprises sells and services every kind of mag--does mine and I love the guy--you can get enough mag to support whatever it is you are running from Mr Spud Miller there--I LOVE magnetos use one in my race car--we use alky nitro mix---
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By BobR

Yes. We've been 209.46 in the 1/8th at 3100 pounds. That figures to be 4600+-. Peak power doesn't seem to be the issue. It's idle thru about 4000 where we are having issues but with turbos you have to get them up on boost before anything happens.

I keep hearing the new stuff is going to blow away the mag. Been hearing that since I bought my own mag in 1987.

It's damn hard to beat a mag.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/23/18 11:04 PM

I would think the manufacturer would know best, but to me, if the ignition can fire through 60 psi boost on methanol, it would seem it should be able to fire at low cylinder pressure.
Is the mag just able to cover for an overly wet/rich mixture?
Honestly never messed with anything close to your combo, but with the minimal info I have here, it seems to me that down low your mixture is to dang wet.

Re: Has Anyone Else Tried Switching From a Mag To COP? - 10/24/18 02:40 AM

I would think the manufacturer would know best, but to me, if the ignition can fire through 60 psi boost on methanol, it would seem it should be able to fire at low cylinder pressure.
Is the mag just able to cover for an overly wet/rich mixture?
Honestly never messed with anything close to your combo, but with the minimal info I have here, it seems to me that down low your mixture is to dang wet.

We leaned it to 5.0. So lean it wouldn't tip-in without backfiring. Still no better. Idles best about 3.8 so that's where we run it with the mag(and where we started with the COP). I know what the book says but we ultimately do what makes the motor happy. Don't forget...it took over 2 seconds longer to spool which is a very big deal. The trans fluid gets hot in a hurry when on the chip. When I say hot I mean 600+ degrees with just a couple seconds delay.
© 2024 Moparts Forums