Moparts

Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r

Posted By: 70charger512

Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 07:32 AM

Im planning on ditching the bfg radial t/a’s when i go to the strip. Which would be better to drive to and race at the strip, the MT et street ss or sportsman s/r? Theres really two questions here: which hooks better and which wouldnt cause too much of a problem deiving an hour there and an hour back? Also what would be the max size i could fit with stock wells in a 70 charger with a dana 60?
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 01:18 PM

I currently run the ET Street SS. Handles great on the street, even good in some pretty bad rain when they are new. They will wear quicker than a street tire, obviously...I haven't run the sportsman, but I assume they are similar to the old bias sportsman, I.e. useless at the track.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 01:38 PM

You can get any Tire to hook if you have good prep and a good suspension.

I've ran the lowly Sportsman S/T (the one with white letters) and managed a 1.72 60 ft time. 275/60/15.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 02:00 PM

The Sportsman SR is NOT a drag tire. Get the ET Street SS if you want it to hook.
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 03:03 PM

I like the ET/streets.Over 1000 miles a year then her they are at 9 lbs.

Attached picture Order1076-8x10.jpg
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 03:16 PM

I had some big 31.5 x 14" Sportsman SR's on my car and they were hard as a hockey puck and didn't hook.
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 05:32 PM

SR stands for Street Radial; not a drag tire at all, wouldn’t be any better than your T/A’s. I’d mount up a set of ET Street R radials on a set of wheels and keep them for drag strip days only. They’ll be just fine on the street for trips to the track and back. If you’re more comfortable with the SS’s they’ll work too, but if you’re only going to use them for racing, might as well go with the real race tire.
If you are thinking of just running these tires full time, be aware the compound is very soft and will wear out quickly. If you street drive the car regularly, you’ll be buying tires rapidly.
Posted By: 383man

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 06:58 PM

My son just bought the M/T SS drag radials like the ones they tested in last month's Mopar Muscle on a mid 11 second Dart. We hope to get to the track this weekend but I have heard they work very good. Ron
Posted By: CSK

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 07:19 PM

I run the ET street R 325-50-15 on my 68 Charger, stock wheel wells, outer lip is rolled, AWESOME street strip tire.

Attached picture 35497213_1774410752617626_7278891955130466304_n.jpg

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, but also: would the bfg ta’s be fine to run on the front?

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By Nick Stevanovski
Thanks for the replies, keep them coming, but also: would the bfg ta’s be fine to run on the front?

yes
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 07:31 PM

Absolutely. My car is primarily a track car these days, I run M/T Sportsman S/T’s up front (nearly the same tire as a BFG T/A). No worries. The only reason to go to drag specific front tires is weight savings (they tend to be lightweight).
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By StealthWedge67

The only reason to go to drag specific front tires is weight savings (they tend to be lightweight).
iagree
Very lightweight and very thin on the sidewalls and tread, not the best tires to use on the street tsk work
That being said I ran them, M/T 2 ply lightweight ET Front drag race tires on my old pump gas Duster as well as a set of 165x15 SR on another set of rims, the radials where better on the street up

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 11:24 PM

Im hijacking my own post: ignore the sportsman sr’s, im thinking of going with the et steet r radials, but would it be fine to drive an hour to the track and back on them? Or should i go with the s/s?

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/16/18 11:41 PM

Im hijacking my own post: ignore the sportsman sr’s, im thinking of going with the et steet r radials, but would it be fine to drive an hour to the track and back on them? Or should i go with the s/s?

I drive mine more than that with them.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 12:25 AM

If you are thinking of just running these tires full time, be aware the compound is very soft and will wear out quickly. If you street drive the car regularly, you’ll be buying tires rapidly.

How rapidly (assuming no show-off burnout contests?)? 500 miles? 5000? work

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By DrCharles

How rapidly (assuming no show-off burnout contests?)? 500 miles? 5000? work

so far 2000 miles & still look new.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 01:10 AM

Im planning on ditching the bfg radial t/a’s when i go to the strip. Which would be better to drive to and race at the strip, the MT et street ss or sportsman s/r? ......

When are you planning to go to the strip? Are you buying tires today for the stroker you decided to build yesterday, or is this for something else?

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67
Im planning on ditching the bfg radial t/a’s when i go to the strip. Which would be better to drive to and race at the strip, the MT et street ss or sportsman s/r? ......

When are you planning to go to the strip? Are you buying tires today for the stroker you decided to build yesterday, or is this for something else?

Im obviously still trying to figure the whole car out, if u couldnt figure that out. Id like to have everything planned before i build it to save myself the time and money. I also havent decided on stroking it yet.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 04:05 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67

Im obviously still trying to figure the whole car out, if u couldnt figure that out. Id like to have everything planned before i build it to save myself the time and money. I also havent decided on stroking it yet.

Okay.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Et street s/s vs sportsman s/r - 10/17/18 05:56 AM

[quote=BSB67][quote

Think twice, or more, and act once up bow twocents
© 2024 Moparts Forums