Moparts

Hanging the front of the Trans?

Posted By: clonestocker

Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 03:25 AM

Anybody have a simple way to hang the front of the trans with the motor out. Will have the cross member at the rear. Pics? thx matt
Posted By: 65mike

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 03:35 AM

I do not have picture but I always used a bumper jack upright across the frame rails and a couple long bolts in bell housing bolt holes. hope this helps
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 03:41 AM

Have a mid plate now,,but a cargo strap with a ratchet handle works fine.
Posted By: topside

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 03:49 AM

Or a 2x4 on the apron tops with a cargo strap & a bolt through the trans mounting face. Or a jack under the mounting area if the car isn't going to move.
Posted By: steve660

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 04:13 AM

Ratchet strap hooked over the torsion bars.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By steve660
Ratchet strap hooked over the torsion bars.
iagree scope
I use a cheap Harbor Freight ratchet strap under the back of the oil pan wrap around the torsion bars on the stick shift motors I work on when the tranny and or bellhousing is out of the car up
I use to stuff a 2x4 in between the bottom of the oil pan and the steering link between the idler arm and pitman arm, no more realcrazy tsk Neither one of those arms are designed to hold weight on them, especially the weight of a BB motor realcrazy
Posted By: weedburner

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 04:54 AM

Not a mopar, but I have made separate midplates that stay in the car. It fits between the block plate and bell, allowing removal of the engine/clutch while leaving the bell/midplate in place to support the trans. You can also remove the trans/clutch/bell and leave the midplate in place to support the back of the engine...

Grant
Posted By: clonestocker

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 10:55 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't sure how far the bell housing face was in the engine compartment. 1x6 and a couple of bolts & bam. thx again
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/14/18 11:17 PM

I always use a piece of pipe across the top of the frame rails.

Attached picture Engcompfrnt.jpg
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/15/18 02:43 AM

I have a piece of angle iron notched to fit the torsion bars and use a couple long bolts in the trans.
Posted By: Digger73

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/15/18 05:52 AM

Don't forget to put a C-clamp on the bell housing to hold the converter in place if leaving it in the trans.

Digger73 (Mike)
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: Hanging the front of the Trans? - 10/15/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By Digger73
Don't forget to put a C-clamp on the bell housing to hold the converter in place if leaving it in the trans.

Digger73 (Mike)

A length of flat stock with a hole on the end and bolt to the trans holds it in even if it's getting transported.
© 2024 Moparts Forums