Moparts

Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad"

Posted By: sgcuda

Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 04:13 AM

This was a terrible incident. But I don't consider "Street" racers to be in the same category as "Drag" racers. I just don't parallel myself with illegal racing gone bad. I have enough on my plate when things go wrong at the track. This just sends the wrong message about true racers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/f...fmIc?li=BBnba9I
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 04:19 AM

The F*#KinG media do it all the time down here in Australia as well. Every idiot in a car was "drag racing" apparently.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By ozymaxwedge
The F*#KinG media do it all the time down here in Australia as well. Every idiot in a car was "drag racing" apparently.

Same here in most of the larger cities, any street accident involving any sign of street racing is reported as "drag racing on the street" runaway
Thanks to the Fast and Furious for that shruggy
I've seen up to 8 ricers carving in and out of eastbound traffic on the 60 freeway in eastern L.A. at 9:30 to 11:00 PM in the middle of the week at 85+ MPH driving like they where professional road racers, NOT GOOD down , the big dummies runaway
They screw it up for us real street racers whistling grin AKA, keep it safe, always up
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 12:52 PM

Just saw that on the local news
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 01:47 PM

Keeping the media informed of the difference between dragracers and ILLEGAL streetracers will always be an ongoing task. It is up to us to keep at it.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 02:40 PM

You guys are funny, its really just semantics. A race is a race.

Foolish mistakes are made at the tracks everyday from nascar to the nhra by some of the best but we still call them race tracks and drag strips but we dont label then as contained foolishness.

Yes, alot of the current street racing and how its done is foolish in fashion and a felony conviction is the price some pay to play.

But yet so many here seem content to watch shows like SO that glorify supposed illegal activity. Confusing, pinks had it all but people got bored with it.

We all know drag strips long ago were setup in part to stop street racing so lets just keep closing tracks and the ugly cycle goes on and hey, lets keep selling SRT-s, ZR-1s, Stangs and hope people drink responsibly.

OR we could just all have governors on our cars and only a select few could "race" at the race tracks and bye said "race" parts.

This debate will never be settled, but in the bigger picture a huge part of society would just rather it all go away.
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 04:21 PM

Lazy journalism strikes again.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 05:27 PM

and sadly, tracks are constantly closing because of "property values" [not to be confused with monetary values of property], which leaves no place to "act foolishly" legally.
beer
Posted By: racerx

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 05:38 PM

They screw it up for us real street racers whistling grin AKA, keep it safe, always up

^^^Funny sh!t^^^
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 06:13 PM

New Jersey.. Didn't they used to have a nice drag strip there for people to race in a safe environment? A place that was basically beaten into submission by local governments and residents?

I also get tired of seeing punks in junk Mustangs, Hondas or BMWs, driving like idiots and causing trouble on public streets, being called "drag racers". May as well call a thug who cracks someone in the head with a ball bat a "baseball player". This article was written by a sports writer - he should know better. But, given the volume of bogus crap being published in the press these days, I shouldn't be surprised.
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/12/18 11:35 PM

Yeah that happened like 20 min from etown. Not like that guy would have been there if it was open though.
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/13/18 04:14 AM

What if the media referred to it as nascar racing ?
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/13/18 09:51 AM

I emailed the author of the article and wrote.

Quote:
Former Ohio State football player killed by drag racer in hit-and-run
To Steve DelVecchio, Larry Brown Sports

You would think that a "so called" sports writer would know the difference between a drag race which is done at a race track/ drag strip and a street race which is illegal and done on public streets.

When you call it a drag race rather than a street race it puts a black eye on true drag racers who race at the track.

Since your article focused on his being a "former" football player my guess is that you think the only sport of importance is football.

Maybe you could have used a title like the article that you copied and not focused on his formerly being a football player..

New Brunswick High School Vice Principal Tyrone Harrison killed by drag racer in Piscataway; suspects sought
Not everyone in the world cares about football. More people would probably care about his being a Vice Principal.

I can understand a writer like Suzanne Russell who isn't a sports writer confusing the terms, but if you are actually a sports writer you should know the difference.

Rich

He actually change the headline of the article to
Quote:
Former Ohio State football player killed by illegal street racer in hit-and-run

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/...fmIc?li=BBnba9I

It really surprised me that he changed it, maybe multiple people wrote him to set him straight. laugh2
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/13/18 03:55 PM

Wow! So people actually so listen once in a while. Maybe there is still hope for humanity.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Another "Make Drag Racers Look Bad" - 10/13/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By sgcuda
Wow! So people actually so listen once in a while. Maybe there is still hope for humanity.

you ARE kidding, right ? [biggrin stirthepot]
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums