Moparts

ring gap location placement needed

Posted By: RapidRobert

ring gap location placement needed - 10/09/18 01:10 AM

conflickting info in several Mopar publications. 360 race app cast pistons std 5/64 3/16 3/16 moly rings (if that makes a difference). what do you guys recommend? Thank you for your time.
Posted By: polyspheric

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/09/18 01:19 AM

Lots of comments over the last 50 years...

and the answer is "after 5 minutes they do whatever they want".
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/09/18 02:47 AM

Originally Posted By polyspheric
Lots of comments over the last 50 years...

and the answer is "after 5 minutes they do whatever they want".
iagree
Robert I start with the ring makers suggestion and go from there, you might want to write down the location of all the ring placement for that motor and looked at all of them when you tear it down the next time scope twocents whistling Test, test and test some more thumbs

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/09/18 05:15 AM

I will do just that: I will Google the ring mfr & get their pattern (& record it, my note takeing is terrible & has bit me in the a$$ many times!) then later on see if they migrate on teardown. thanks guys.
Posted By: Discoquik

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/12/18 09:27 PM

Usually rings just need to be clocked 45 degrees from each ring that's below it. The cross hatch in the cylinder will make the rings spins anyway so it's kinda pointless but a good practice.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/12/18 09:54 PM

I've always put the gaps between 2 and 4, and 8 and 10 o'clock looking at it from the top with 12 o'clock facing the lifter valley. Top and second at 180* apart. Oil rings 180 apart as well. From instructions I saw long ago, and thinking it will keep the gaps away from the thrust side of the pistons. Seemed to work, but I would not try to out think any guideline provided by the manufacturers.

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/13/18 06:30 AM

I will try not to overthink this! thanks guys.
Posted By: 383man

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/14/18 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
I've always put the gaps between 2 and 4, and 8 and 10 o'clock looking at it from the top with 12 o'clock facing the lifter valley. Top and second at 180* apart. Oil rings 180 apart as well. From instructions I saw long ago, and thinking it will keep the gaps away from the thrust side of the pistons. Seemed to work, but I would not try to out think any guideline provided by the manufacturers.

This is what I basically do with the comp rings 180 apart and the oil ring rails 180 apart. I agree they will move around when the eng runs as you see them all over when you take them apart. Ron

Re: ring gap location placement needed - 10/14/18 05:50 AM

Noted & thanks guys.
© 2024 Moparts Forums