Moparts

MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK

Posted By: A/MP

MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/24/18 08:37 PM

Came across several mid to late 80's and 90's motor homes in very good mechanical condition. Most have under 60 K. Thinking about a home to ramp truck conversion. Any thoughts?
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/24/18 08:50 PM

I had a old ford 600 series that was a flat bed
with nothing behind the cab.. I got a alum car
hauler(went on the cab of a car hauler).. I put
it on the ford chassis.. worked great for a
few years then I sold it.. is there anything
mounted on the chassis your looking at..I also
built up a old Dodge flat bed with a lift gate
that worked halfass.. that was a slant 6 with a
creeper gear
wave

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 02:20 AM

They are intact running motor homes. For my work, I've been using box trucks and there isn't much to squaring off the back of the cab. Thought that the same could be done with a motor home or gut the interior and make a ramp door at the back.
Posted By: topside

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 04:23 AM

You'll have to do a beavertail, but using a gutted motorhome could be pretty cool and would likely be ignored my prospective thieves.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 06:59 AM

The first year we raced NHRA stock at the World finals in Ontario, CA(1973 (I think work )The 1972 NHRA Super Stock champion showed up in a conventional school bus with the back cut off hauling his 1962 Pontiac Catalina 4 speed station wagon, no living quarters or divider between the drivers seat and the rear of that bus with the station wagon hanging out.
I'm sitting here now wondering now about unburnt fuel from the exhaust pipe at the rear bumper blowing up into that bus work tsk twocents
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 02:57 PM

It's a lot of work, will cost more than you think, and will be worth just about nothing if you ever go to sell it. Sounds like a viable plan! (:
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 03:16 PM

If you decide to pursue this, you might also look at some later model salvage units on Coparts or CrashedToys.

Damage can be minor (think hail) and can make for a real bargain. I just bought a '17 motorcycle for 20 cents on the dollar. And it came through with a clean title for some reason.
Posted By: rustbuckett68

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 04:22 PM

Check to see if they are full frame. My 79 D400 16'MH(440/727/Dana 70) Dodge had the stock style stamped frame rails. Did not think it would support a deck, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 04:39 PM

This guy put a 1963 D200 Crew Cab on top of a 1970s Dodge motorhome chassis to make a retro car hauler.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/1963-dodge-afx-hauler-replica.html
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 04:51 PM

This is what I want. It has a lift gate and the car goes up top in the rear.

Attached picture renegade.jpg
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/25/18 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By 67Satty
This guy put a 1963 D200 Crew Cab on top of a 1970s Dodge motorhome chassis to make a retro car hauler.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/1963-dodge-afx-hauler-replica.html

I can dig that dodge crew cab!

I can't dig the motorhome truck.

Attached picture haldiman-truck-n.jpg
Attached picture mht.jpg

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/27/18 03:12 AM

The ramp trucks that are in my budget are 1989 and older. Seems once you hit a 1990 or newer model the price goes way up. I've thought about taking my open trailer, sectioning it(remove the tongue), and attaching the remainder it to my dually. Still use the electric brakes.

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/27/18 06:17 AM

I built up this 95 Dodge dually 3500 with a
sleeper on the cab.. this worked great with
my 26' enclosed trailer.. then I changed to
a home built 43' fifth wheel trailer with
living quarters
wave

Attached picture DSC00074.JPG
Posted By: b1dartsport

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/27/18 03:09 PM

Just saw this on Racing junk: https://www.racingjunk.com/Pro-Stock/183099836/1971-Dodge-Hauler-Pro-Stock-History.html#10
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By DaveRS23
If you decide to pursue this, you might also look at some later model salvage units on Coparts or CrashedToys.

Damage can be minor (think hail) and can make for a real bargain. I just bought a '17 motorcycle for 20 cents on the dollar. And it came through with a clean title for some reason.

I have a 99 Jimmy 26 ft box truck, cat diesel, Allison trans (Penske mover) that I'm wanting to convert over to a living quarters to tow my enclosed. The motor home-travel trailer scavenge is what I was thinking. I'll check into what you said, didn't know where to look before, thanks.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 06:40 AM

They just listed a Dodge 360 powered ramp truck listed locally on Facebook today in my area. 5500.00
Posted By: bigdad

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 09:21 PM

Ahhhhh

Attached picture motohome.jpg
Posted By: bigdad

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 09:21 PM

ahhhh,h

Attached picture motorhome2.jpg
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By bigdad
ahhhh,h

I would use that in a heart beat
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 09:42 PM

Very nice but I would miss my enclosed trailer to much. I love having all the tools and spare parts that may be needed for a race day. It doesn’t bother some guys to borrow but I hate doing it.

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/28/18 09:52 PM

Would love to have that unit but would be
pulling a 26' or a 28' enclosed trailer but
I dont want to pay for that rig.. my whole race
rig including car is way less than that unit cost..
I dont build unless I can afford it
wave
Posted By: shorthorse

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/29/18 02:41 PM

Sounds like fun but I'm with Hemi-Joel. Whatever you think it's going to cost, double it or more. Also, older motorhomes don't have much for rear suspensions so be ready to spend some bucks on that.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: MOTOR HOME CAR RAMP TRUCK - 09/29/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By bigdad
Ahhhhh

That's effin cool....I bought a small class A this year, and its long with my trailer on it. Kinda got to plan your pit stops out ahead of time....Not all the places I like to stop at fit...

Attached picture motohome.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums