Moparts

Howards cams and lifters

Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 01:44 AM

I need to replace my cam and I'm looking at some nice grinds from Howards and they have some good reviews. Still on the fence on which way to go as I hardly ever race may car anymore. Have been considering hydraulic roller or EDM lifter solid flat cam shruggy
I shift my car at 6500 when I'm whooping on it but most of the time it runs around 3000 so a solid roller wouldn't really be a wise choice for street cruiser. My old solid has been in there about 6 years and I have a few lobes going away after I overheated it last summer,at least that's when the trouble started. Are hydraulic street rollers any better than they used to be?
Are the rollers with direct oil to the bearings OK for street use or is that some marketing hype?

Thanks for any advice thumbs

Gus beer
Posted By: GY3

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 01:55 AM

I have ran a Howard's hydraulic roller on the street for over 5000 miles and lots of dragstrip use in the last couple of years. I never rev the engine over 6,500 so it works perfect for me. Very happy with its performance.

A friend was having problems with Comp hydraulic roller lifters. He replaced them with the same ones that I use from Howard's and the problems all went away.

I'd also recommend the Howards fuel pump push rod and the crane 66970 - 1 coated gear to go with it. Both seem to be holding up really well!
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 02:04 AM

The only Howard that I've used was in a SB Chevy 427 stroker and it was awesome. Was a hydraulic roller
Have a friend that has used a few in Mopars and has been happy with them except the last one. It was warped and wouldn't fit in the block. They did replace it and the new seemed to fit good.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 02:08 AM

Howards does GREAT job on cams--Just do NOT use the Comp hyd rollers or the Johnsons see what Howard has I think they are reboxed Morels--ASK

SOOO many people FAIL to observe the Morel spring pressure advice
145 seat and 340 open max on std hyd roller
You can spend a lot more for lifters with different vlaving so that you can run more pressure for more RPM but then preload gets very critical etc

Morel is also very specific about preload usually 1/4 turn

Please Please be aware of the needs of the lifters you actually wind up with and if you get Morel made you can rest easy as long as you ADHERE to what they say

Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 02:39 AM

Have a Howards solid lifter cam and the edm lifters with the oil hole in the face they sell.
Couldnt be happier, nice stuff
Posted By: dartman366

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 02:45 AM

we put a Howards solid cam and edm lifters in a buddys 451 also the Howards roller timing set and brought his car to life and it has been in for approx 3 years and never a problem, they make good stuff and well worth the money spent. up
Posted By: tex013

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 03:53 AM

I run the Howards lifters in both of my wedge motors . No dramas whatsoever .

Tex
Posted By: CSK

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 04:20 AM

I have the High rpm Morel's, hydro roller, so far 2k miles & some 1/4 mile passes.

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 06:04 AM

I have read some things that indicate the Howards lifters and Morels are the same ones.
Thanks for all the replies so far I think I may go flat EDM solid because I like the quick RPM's with a stick car.

Gus beer
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 09:49 AM

I haven't put any miles on the car yet, but I went with Howard's EDM lifters on my Scott Brown solid lift cam. I'm hoping for some good mileage out of them.
Posted By: Wicked49670dart

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/09/18 05:21 PM

I use their cam, Howards solid lifter cam and the edm lifters with the oil hole in the face also, pulls a lot harder than my old cam!
Posted By: 65Fury440

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/10/18 02:05 AM

I run this cam and EDM lifters, as well as their double roller chain.
My Fury has a 520" TF 240 headed engine and 4 speed it runs great.

https://www.howardscams.com/mechanical-f...-howards-cams-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygXG7bcL2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAi5keVD_N4

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/10/18 05:30 AM

That sounds very good and the grind is close to what I'm wanting. Did you have to specify EDM lifters or did the cam come with them. Your heads probably flow close to my Indy EZ's with standard ports so that cam should work with my combo 10.9 to 1 compression.

Sounds like it works nice with a stick car drive

Thanks
Gus beer
Posted By: 383man

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/10/18 03:30 PM

I use a Dwayne Porter solid flat tappet that's 264 & 270 @ .050 with .585 & .592 lift and a 110 LSA. I use the EDM lifters that Dwayne supplied and have been running this setup since 2011 with no problems ever. I do a lot of street driving and a little racing of maybe once a year lately. Ron

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 02:15 AM

Gus, when you decide on what cam and lifters you want you can call Howards but when we ordered the parts for Walts car the guy at howards told us to order it thru Competition Products which is next door to Howards and they will have a better price,I believe it has somthing to do with not undercutting their dealers on pricing.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By 65Fury440

That be a big street cam up bow
Your my kind of street car driver devil whistling hammer
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 04:47 AM

Well, he does have 520 ci so .616/.620, 260/264@.050 isn't THAT huge wink

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
That sounds very good and the grind is close to what I'm wanting. Did you have to specify EDM lifters or did the cam come with them. Your heads probably flow close to my Indy EZ's with standard ports so that cam should work with my combo 10.9 to 1 compression.

Sounds like it works nice with a stick car drive

Thanks
Gus beer

I ordered up the cam, chain, and lifters separate, talked to a couple guys at Howard's, was impressed at their attitude, very helpful.
I had Larry Smith port my 240s up to MW size to fit my 337 intake, I think he said they flowed like 360 if I recall correctly.
I have been getting it sorted out, your car is probably way lighter than mine, should work well for you.
It is a little big for my 2 ton car with a 3.54 gear, but once she's rolling she gets.

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge

It is a lil big, nothing a 4.10 gear won't cure.

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
Well, he does have 520 ci so .616/.620, 260/264@.050 isn't THAT huge wink

I have the cam advanced 8 degrees, bumped cylinder pressure up to 180 psi from 165ish, really cleaned it up down low.

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/11/18 10:54 PM

Gus has a clutch peddle to make up for a lack of low end torque or HP due to the cam selection devil whistling

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 02:50 AM

I have recently put some 4-10's in the rear so this cam with a 493 and EZ's will make for a fun stick car devil

I will be adding a cage to the car over the winter to make it legal for the times it will run.

Gus beer

Attached picture 23231224_1750435168331817_8297307229037431265_n.jpg

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By dartman366
Gus, when you decide on what cam and lifters you want you can call Howards but when we ordered the parts for Walts car the guy at howards told us to order it thru Competition Products which is next door to Howards and they will have a better price,I believe it has somthing to do with not undercutting their dealers on pricing.

I have heard Competition Products is a great vendor so I look forward to dealing with them. I have to get some new pushrods too I used to get the cut to fit kit from Nick so now I need to find a new pushrod supplier.

Gus beer
Posted By: CSK

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 03:58 AM

I have heard Competition Products is a great vendor so I look forward to dealing with them. I have to get some new pushrods too I used to get the cut to fit kit from Nick so now I need to find a new pushrod supplier.

Gus beer

They are a great company to deal with, they had my car on the front of their catalog at the beginning of the year.

Attached picture 23621692_1554933401232030_717686561232035370_n.jpg
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 04:03 PM

Come on Cab, I've been running an Isky solid roller for years with .680-.660 276-281 @ .050 in a baby 470 and it's far from too big or radical and VERY street-able plus easy on the valve-train............. work biggrin
Posted By: B3422W5

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 05:13 PM

I have a Howards 260-264 cam in my stock stroke 10.4 compression 360.
Works good street and strip
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Come on Cab, I've been running an Isky solid roller for years with .680-.660 276-281 @ .050 in a baby 470 and it's far from too big or radical and VERY street-able plus easy on the valve-train............. work biggrin

That's reassuring... if I ever get the Dart out of paint jail, I equipped my 451 with a Mini-Express, which after restoring the lobe taper measures out at .652 272@.050!
drive

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By DrCharles
Originally Posted By Thumperdart

That's reassuring... if I ever get the Dart out of paint jail, I equipped my 451 with a Mini-Express, which after restoring the lobe taper measures out at .652 272@.050!
drive

Not sure on that cam but my Isky is the most aggressive STREET profile they made when I bought it.........tame as a kitten and as powerful as a lion when you stab the happy peddle........... beer

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/12/18 06:11 PM

I bought and installed a Isky RR 602 grind solid roller cam, 260 @.050 both lobes, in one of my old pump gas motors, it was had slowest opening ramps I've ever seen shock shruggy
The newer race cams have a way different opening and closing rate than the older ones, regardless of the brand scope shruggy

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/13/18 02:11 AM

Gus beer
I bought a lot of things thru them when I was building my 512 and they treated me very well and fair prices.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/13/18 01:23 PM

The best camshaft I have ever run in anything was an Isky roller--slow ramps maybe but it made crazy power for the size and would never quit going upstairs Slow ramp--fast ramp--all the rage and talk but if you decide you want a camshaft that works and you don't give a hoot about knowing cam craft details call Isky--they KNOW what the cam business is all about --Others feel like you must trust the design computer to SELL camshafts--that may be true but to have a sweet running engine you do not have to have the latest computer designed junk--Herb McCandless said it best--" I have never had a dyno pull into the lane beside me"
Sooo many things go into a sweet good running engine--
Some of the most soul satisfying engines ever made on earth were built before or during WWII---they did not have FAST ramps or know what a computer was

Captn Cook took off a couple of hundred years ago to watch celestial events half way around the world--after that England could calculate the distance between the planets in our solar system--NO computers needed

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/13/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By crabman173
The best camshaft I have ever run in anything was an Isky roller--slow ramps maybe but it made crazy power for the size and would never quit going upstairs Slow ramp--fast ramp--all the rage and talk but if you decide you want a camshaft that works and you don't give a hoot about knowing cam craft details call Isky--they KNOW what the cam business is all about --Others feel like you must trust the design computer to SELL camshafts--that may be true but to have a sweet running engine you do not have to have the latest computer designed junk--Herb McCandless said it best--" I have never had a dyno pull into the lane beside me"
Sooo many things go into a sweet good running engine--
Some of the most soul satisfying engines ever made on earth were built before or during WWII---they did not have FAST ramps or know what a computer was

Captn Cook took off a couple of hundred years ago to watch celestial events half way around the world--after that England could calculate the distance between the planets in our solar system--NO computers needed

Yes sir, ISKY The LEADERS not followers in the cam industry............. beer work boogie drive
Posted By: tex013

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/13/18 11:25 PM

[/quote]

Yes sir, ISKY The LEADERS not followers in the cam industry............. beer work boogie drive [/quote]

Except their website is 5hite
catfight

Tex
Posted By: Roughbird72

Re: Howards cams and lifters - 09/17/18 07:37 PM

That's the cam I'm thinking about running in my 463 ... if I ever get around to getting the rotating assembly balanced and putting it together biggrin
© 2024 Moparts Forums