Moparts

Which master cylinder should I use?

Posted By: 68DART360

Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 04:29 PM

I have stock front disc brakes and Wilwood rear drag disc brakes. Should I get the MP 1 1/32 or 1 1/8 bore master cylinder? Other suggestions for a new brake master cylinder?
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By 68DART360
I have stock front disc brakes and Wilwood rear drag disc brakes. Should I get the MP 1 1/32 or 1 1/8 bore master cylinder? Other suggestions for a new brake master cylinder?

It depends on the pedal throw and firmness you desire.

A 1 1/8" bore truck master is very firm and a short throw but I prefer that. 15/16 rwd car master is preferred by quite a few people.

O'Reillys sells the aluminum MC's for $26.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
[quote=68DART360]

A 1 1/8" bore truck master is very firm and a short throw but I prefer that. 15/16 rwd car master is preferred by quite a few people.
iagree Smaller stops better with a lot less pedal effort work
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 09:03 PM

Should I get the MP 1 1/32 or 1 1/8 bore master cylinder?

Sometimes you don't have a choice; if the combination of calipers and the pedal ratio require more fluid volume, you'll have to sacrifice line pressure and go with the larger diameter MC or live with a low pedal.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 09:33 PM

I have the same basic setup on my Savoy and I have used the 1 1/8 bore master from Wagner and then tried the 7/8 bore Strange unit and the pedal feel wasn't that drastic. Both performed well but the Strange unit had a more aggressive stop than the Wagner unit. Both of them felt confident but the Wagner was "smoother" shruggy
I think the Wagner was an 85 Dodge Diplomat application.

I use them without any prop valve just a distribution block and the car stops perfectly from 125 MPH.

Gus beer
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 11:11 PM

My 69 Dart has Strange front brakes and Wilwood rears and I tried the 1 1/32" mc and didn't like it at all. The car currently has a 15/16" mc and stops much better. Originally I had bbp disk on the front and Wilwoods on the rear with a 73 proportion valve with a factory small drum mc and it stopped great. I'd really like to try a 7/8" bore mc some time.
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/02/18 11:24 PM

[/quote]

O'Reillys sells the aluminum MC's for $26. [/quote]

Part # ?
Posted By: GY3

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 12:46 AM

https://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/RacingMasterCylPN.html
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 01:11 AM

Wilwood fronts, Strange rears.... even with the drum rears prefered the 15/16 bore. Still might try proportioning a little more to the rear one day. Currently running no prop valve

http://www.doctordiff.com/aluminum-master-cylinder-kit.html
Posted By: Mr340

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 01:14 AM

Thanks up
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 05:35 AM

I had the same set up in my Cuda since 1988 I used the stock master and factory plumbing. The only thing I did was pull the residual valve out of the master cylinder. It was simple process. Inserted a small screw into the brake line(rear brakes) seat cone in the master, wiggled it out and the residual valve popped out. Inserted the seat cone then the line and blead the system. It has a great pedal The car was not super fast ran 10 teens at 130.
Posted By: 68DART360

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 03:34 PM

I forgot to mention I currently have a master cylinder from a drum front and rear in the car now. I will probably try the 1 1/8 from Napa. Thanks for the link to the part numbers. beer Cudatom, I had recently seen that trick but was planning to replace my master cylinder which is leaking like crazy.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Which master cylinder should I use? - 09/03/18 05:10 PM

I'm gonna change out my master on the Rampage..
its a fairly light car but the pedal is just a
little too hard.. is I recall its a 7/8" now
but I think I'll put a 3/4" on it.. it has
Strange struts in front and ford big drums brakes
on the rear.. no prop valve
© 2024 Moparts Forums