Moparts

Timing light for Multiple Spark systems????

Posted By: Moparnut426

Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 05:27 PM

I am running MSD ignition, distributor, and a Mopar performance coil.

Right now I can time it with my digital light. Whats the Best bang for the buck on old analogue lights out there?

Kasey
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 07:24 PM

Old Penske/Sears/Craftsman. MSD sold the same light back in the day with their stickers on it. Some guys use the battery powered lights like the Flaming River. Don't use anything with an adjustable zero.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 08:00 PM

thank you

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister
Old Penske/Sears/Craftsman. MSD sold the same light back in the day with their stickers on it. Some guys use the battery powered lights like the Flaming River. Don't use anything with an adjustable zero.

Ill just buy the MSD light from JEGS
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 09:09 PM

My Craftsman dial back to zero timing light works with my MSD 6.

R.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/27/18 10:33 PM

MSD says not to use a dial back light.. sure
some guys say it works fine but WHY would MSD
say not to.. I know my old dial back didnt
work correctly with my 7AL ignition so I bought
a Flaming River battery powered light.. been
using it for years now.. some guys say it isnt
bright enough but I dont have any problems
wave
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 12:07 AM

The one you really want is made by Ferret Instruments. They are very bright high quality lights that have been sold under several brand names including the red MSD. Unfortunately they went out of business last year. You can still find used ones and probably some new ones online. Try Google or ebay. If you get one never loan it to anyone. They will forget to give it back. shruggy rant

But for a good old light find an old used chrome sears penske non dialback. A couple of bucks at a yard sale. They must have sold millions of them.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 12:26 AM

The old 8990 MSD was the Sears/Penske style light. The 8991 self powered light and the 8992 12v lights look like they are the Ferrets. The 8992 are OOS at the big mail orders. Better be grabbing one if you find one somewhere.
Posted By: Cuda_Mike

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 12:50 AM

Mine does too.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 03:48 AM

Originally Posted By GomangoCuda
The one you really want is made by Ferret Instruments. They are very bright high quality lights that have been sold under several brand names including the red MSD. Unfortunately they went out of business last year. You can still find used ones and probably some new ones online. Try Google or ebay. If you get one never loan it to anyone. They will forget to give it back. shruggy rant

This ^^^^^^ I have had one for 20 years and it is twice as good as any other timing light I have ever used. Try it and you will see.

Mine was sold to me by French Grimes the magneto guy. Mine is blue, it kicks azz and is by far the best timing light you can buy barr nun.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By Moparnut426

Ill just buy the MSD light from JEGS

Very good idea if Jegs still has them. You will not be disappointed.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 04:22 PM

I bought a Flaming River self powered light from speedway. I didnt see the red ferret style until I searched again today.

Im sure the flaming river will get the job done. I might buy a Ferret later on.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 04:28 PM

I wish Ferret offered a battery powered unit like
the FR unit but as far as I know they dont.. I
really like the battery powered feature.. that was
a big reason I went with the FR unit
wave

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
wave

Ferret Instruments V081-01. Good luck. I dont see any around. You'll have the be in the right place at the right time to grab one.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/28/18 08:45 PM

wave

Ferret Instruments V081-01. Good luck. I dont see any around. You'll have the be in the right place at the right time to grab one.

Thanks for the info
wave

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 03:44 AM

wave

Thanks for the info
wave

Jegs still shows both the self powered and 12v MSD lights available shipped from the manufacturer. I assume they mean from MSD since Ferret is done.

If nobody bought Ferret then when they're gone they're gone. Wonder if MSD might have bought the timing light part of Ferret.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 03:51 AM

I bought a Flaming River self powered light from speedway. I didnt see the red ferret style until I searched again today.

A flaming river timing light is like using a bic lighter to see your timing marks especially during the day outside like at the races.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By GomangoCuda

Jegs still shows both the self powered and 12v MSD lights available shipped from the manufacturer. I assume they mean from MSD since Ferret is done.

If nobody bought Ferret then when they're gone they're gone. Wonder if MSD might have bought the timing light part of Ferret.

Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that at those places with an item that was not being made any longer. Either that or MSD is replacing it with a different light. The Ferrets are OOS pretty much everywhere.

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 04:32 AM

That's been my experience as well. I was just kind of wishing out loud. There aren't even very many used ones on ebay.
Posted By: oldiron

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 04:47 AM

So exactly what problem do you see with the timing lights that indicate they are not compatible with the multi-spark? Wouldn't they trigger on the 1st spark? And if I recall, they are single spark after 3000 rpm.

Thanks

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/29/18 08:53 PM

Mine I cant set base timing, and the electronics are wigging the crap out of the timing reading

Basically I cant tell if Im 10 or 50 degrees at idle, and it goes stupid crazy past 3000
Posted By: radar

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/30/18 07:31 AM

I have the sunpro- looks like the far upper right chrome one in Challenger1’s pic. It’s a dialback with a knob and no readout. Seems to work fine with msd 6al but I trust it more for total than initial.
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/30/18 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By Challenger 1

A flaming river timing light is like using a bic lighter to see your timing marks especially during the day outside like at the races.

Amen brother, bought one of these POS's from Summit...junk...wasn't bright enough to see the timing marks on either the GTX or Dakota, both were in the shop. Poorly made, cheap (over priced) junk...took it back same day.
Posted By: PorkyPig

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/30/18 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By Challenger 1

I bought a Flaming River light because everyone at the time was saying that was the way to go. Pray for cloudy weather when you need to use it in daytime. I still have an old Craftsman dialback but never bothered to check if they show different readings.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/30/18 08:56 PM

I just bought a like new Ferret model 84 and the instructions are extremely vague, anybody know how this thing works?

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/30/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
I just bought a like new Ferret model 84 and the instructions are extremely vague, anybody know how this thing works?

Well, looking at a picture looks like use the mode button to set it up for 4 stroke. Use UP and DOWN to adjust the number of degrees from zero. I.E. if you want to set timing at 38*, plug 38 into the back of the light and the timing marks should line up a TDC when the timing is at 38. Set to zero to use as a regular light to set with the marks.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 12:51 AM

Ok, thanks
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 05:14 PM

The problem with the dial back lights is....... they can read inaccurately....... and you don’t know it.

I’ve had a couple of customers torch pistons as a result.
Verified faulty light operation after the fact by comparing their dial back light vs a non-dial back light.
One of them was off about 17-18deg at high rpms.
Showed 38 deg at 6000rpm....... was really 55deg with a non-dial back light....... hence the burnt pistons.

I have one of the cheap red Actron non-dial back lights Jegs used to sell for $39.
I had a nice old chrome Craftsman non-dial back light I bought in like 1980 that disappeared one day, and the Actron is what I got to replace it.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 05:42 PM

are the dial back lights ( have an old chrome actron i think) inaccurate if you turn the pot to zero and use it as a regular non dial back light??

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 06:33 PM

The test I did was with the dial back at zero.
That doesn’t remove the dial back electronics from the circuit.

The first time I ran into this was with my old school Snap On dial back light on a motor with a crank trigger.
Revving the motor would just show the timing gradually retard as the rpm went up.
And not like one or two degrees either......... like 10-15.

I knew nothing was physically moving since it was a crank trigger, so it had to be either in the electronics or the light. This was the first time I had ever seen anything that made me suspect the light was reading incorrectly.

I called MSD, they said........ try another light without a dial back.
I said, but I’ve never had an issue with this one....... they said, yeh.... but try another light.
Tried a non-dial back light...... and the timing didn’t move at all.

That led me to trying both lights on several other motors at the dyno, and I never could get it to repeat what it did on the motor with the crank trigger........ but from then on, I knew I couldn’t be “sure” the dial back light was reading correctly....... so I stopped using it on the dyno.

It was a couple years later when I did the test with the light from the guys with the melted pistons.

Posted By: BloFish

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 11:30 PM

So the only modern day option is flaming river, so long as it isn’t daylight when you need to use it. There are two Ferret Industries on eBay, are they not the correct units?

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 08/31/18 11:56 PM

I see the Actron non-dial back light CP7527 is still available from several vendors.

Probably not as nice as a Ferret, but it’s another option.
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 09/02/18 02:09 AM

I still use a digital Snap-On unit and I checked it against the Flaming River unit and they were both dead on the same marks.
I used to use an old dial back Snap-On and I always trusted it but it quit and they don't repair them anymore. So I traded up to the Digital push button back around 18 years ago and it still works perfect.
Gus beer

Attached picture snap on light.JPG
Posted By: OUTLAWSSAA

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 09/02/18 05:22 AM

Originally Posted By fourgearsavoy
I still use a digital Snap-On unit and I checked it against the Flaming River unit and they were both dead on the same marks.
I used to use an old dial back Snap-On and I always trusted it but it quit and they don't repair them anymore. So I traded up to the Digital push button back around 18 years ago and it still works perfect.
Gus beer

I have that same Snap On light that I can not use with my MSD ignition. Timing mark is all over the place. Bought the cheapo Flaming River and the problem was gone.
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Timing light for Multiple Spark systems???? - 09/21/18 08:05 AM

ive been lookin for one as well. I think if I can get the MSD 8991 or 8992 from jegs might be okay.

here's a ferret 86 on ebay but don't know if this is the right one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FERRET-86-DIGITAL-TIMING-LIGHT-TACH-ADV-DWELL-VOLTS-TIMING-LIGHT-MADFE-IN-USA/282743245127?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131231084308%26meid%3Dab290307e0e9428d9d4060183ee729e3%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D323389559167%26itm%3D282743245127&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109
© 2024 Moparts Forums