Moparts

Well i guess i got lucky ?

Posted By: tex013

Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 05:34 AM

Finally got my car out of panel shop prison and pulled the motor/trans last night . Trying to locate the coolant leak in the motor .

The block is cracked in #4 main from cap up into coolant passage .

I guess from a glass half full view I am lucky , it ran maybe 6-8 passes like this and I didn't drive over the crankshaft .
If only there was a readily available cross bolt iron block , I would buy 1 in a heartbeat ( realistic pricing )
Oh well time to put the new TF270 heads onto my old 440 short and keep going

Tex
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 05:58 AM

Glad you caught it before it got you. Do you guys run engine diapers

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Glad you caught it before it got you. Do you guys run engine diapers

No diapers , not fast enough . Be to awkward on a street car .

Tex
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 12:42 PM

Good catch. Could have been a lot worse.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 07:01 PM

Those dang stock 440 blocks will crack the main webbing once you exceed the design limits on the HP, sorry to hear that whiney
Detonation and main cap walking are the cause usually work

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Those dang stock 400 and 440 blocks will crack the main webbing once you exceed the design limits on the HP, and race it often enough. sorry to hear that whiney

Fixed it for you

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
Those dang stock 400 and 440 blocks will crack the main webbing once you exceed the design limits on the HP, and race it often enough. sorry to hear that whiney

Fixed it for you

hahaha
20 months of racing once a month minimum and daily driving .
BAH
darn it , conservative tune and billet caps/studs
back to the drawing board

Tex
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/22/18 11:46 PM

I haven't seen or heard of a stock 400 block cracking the main webs yet luck I know a NHRA S/G racer that broke a bunch of stock 400 main caps before switching to after market main caps, he would run the tune up on the ragged edge also tsk
My old 518 C.I. low deck 400 block stroker pump gas motor had the heck wrung out of it, shifting above 7000 RPM at the track for hundreds of runs and some beating on it on the street with no block problems other than some main cap walking when I had the 906 heads on it work
I did have the old Mopar brand ductile iron main caps and ARP main studs installed in it to start with up
I now use the 440 Source aluminum main caps and ARP main studs, so far no negative results on any of my customers motors luck Knock on wood hammer grin

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 02:21 AM

Yes Cab .
But even if I could get a 400 block here , is major swap all my stuff is RB .
I had 440 Source billet steel caps/ARP studs

Tex
Posted By: JD Dart

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:27 AM

Now you have my 400 crack the main webs after 1250 runs made good power best pass 8.69@156 went throw the traps at 7600 it had the 440 Pro-Gram bullet steel caps Keith Black 9/16 studs 4.150 stroke steel h beam rods might of been OK with the aluminum caps.

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:45 AM

I can’t tell you how many 400 girdled blocks we have had break in the Pittsburgh area but we have a lot of good running Mopars in this area. It’s been a lot I’ll tell you that. About everyone I know stepped up to an Indy or Keith Black blocks years ago.

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 04:59 AM

I can’t tell you how many 400 girdled blocks we have had break in the Pittsburgh area but we have a lot of good running Mopars in this area. It’s been a lot I’ll tell you that. About everyone I know stepped up to an Indy or Keith Black blocks years ago.

John ,
I accept stepping up , don't need to tempt fate
BUT
a KB wedge will cost give or take A$10000.00 on my doorstep - bare .
I would far prefer an iron block for daily use and my goals , low 10s @ 3700lbs through the exhaust

Tex

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 05:35 AM

Honestly if I was 3700 pounds and only wanted to run low 10’s I would put my car and myself on a diet and build a nice small block. These things can be impressive plus you start out lighter already from the small block.

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 06:36 AM

Honestly if I was 3700 pounds and only wanted to run low 10’s I would put my car and myself on a diet and build a nice small block. These things can be impressive plus you start out lighter already from the small block.

DIET !

I am barely 150lbs wringing wet .
Not sure my 68 B Body is going much lighter , already has aluminium engine parts , aluminium radiator , light wheels , glass bonnet and front bumper . There is no rear seat / bench front .
And again all I have is big block and there is no new small block blocks either . And no not gen3 .

Tex
Posted By: Eric

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:01 PM

Stock 400 block in my ride at 2330# race weight.....I make the sign of the cross every pass lol
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:12 PM

Sure seems to me that aftermarket caps and girdles don't do much, if anything, to keep the block from cracking. Seen just as many cracking w/ good caps and/or girdles as I have w/ stock caps.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:46 PM

The solution for not cracking stock blocks is really simple....... make less power.😎

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth
The solution for not cracking stock blocks is really simple....... make less power.😎

Or let it sit in the shop unused. Make power and use it and both high and low deck blocks will break.
Posted By: CSK

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 07:36 PM

After seeing this, I am really mad at myself for not getting a aftermarket block, sorry this happened to you Tex.

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 08:21 PM

That’s why even though I had my Keith black block the more I thought about it I grabbed a mega block that was offered to me. The way I looked at it was I would sooner or later be building an engine for another car I have sitting here and it costs me about 1100.00 to prep a stock block to build. The mega block was more or less ready to go from another build so it made sence to grab it. It sits in darkness.
Posted By: 67mprfan

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 10:29 PM

That’s why even though I had my Keith black block the more I thought about it I grabbed a mega It sits in darkness.

It's time to shed some light on it

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By 67mprfan
That’s why even though I had my Keith black block the more I thought about it I grabbed a mega It sits in darkness.

yes it is .

However it is what it is .
There were only a very few of the world 505 engines brought in here so there is no pool of possible available blocks .
Dwayne - less power whistling . We are racers .
The old 440ci short is back in the Plymouth with the TF270 heads and dominator now . See what that does , racing tomorrow .

Tex

Re: Well i guess i got lucky ? - 08/23/18 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By 67mprfan

Not much of a story. A friend and Moparts member was switching from Mopar to Chevy in his Dragster. He had a World block and a mega block and several other parts. He told me about the stuff for sale and several months later it sank in that I should buy one for my green Duster. I Day I called he sold the world block and was boxing it to ship. I went and looked at the mega block and bought it. I have the balanced (505) assembly balanced and ready to assemble and will have a very nice set of 2.250 valve 440-1 heads I have almost finished. Should be a nice 8 second car. I was hoping to have it ready this year but never touched it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums