Moparts

Big block oil pump bolt torque?

Posted By: gregsdart

Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/20/18 03:21 PM

I am putting in a new five lobe Milodon pump body, which is aluminum, with an aluminum cover. I thought i read that is easy to over torque the bolts, and bind up or seize the pump? What should this combo be torqued to? Thanks in advance!!
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/20/18 03:30 PM

The spec is 30 ft lbs. but I have heard of people having binding problems on some pumps, so after you torque it down stick your priming rod in there and turn it over to make sure it feels fine.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/20/18 03:52 PM

And how comfortable are you with bolts that are little more than finger tight?!?!?

The problem is with the aluminum covers more than the pump body.
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/20/18 05:15 PM

If you really want to know where you are at, torque the pump down to 5 lbs, then put a dial or beam type torque wrench on the priming shaft and get a baseline, then torque down the pump and recheck the priming shaft.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/20/18 05:32 PM

Call Tom at Milidon,805-577-5950, and ask them up
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/21/18 01:50 AM

Thanks, will call Tom. I have time anyway, the new pump body takes a longer distributor/oilpump drive shaft. Its on the way, hope to run on Saturday, provided i figure out why #3 isn't firing!
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/21/18 05:23 AM

Have the intergear in before you torque em
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Big block oil pump bolt torque? - 08/21/18 06:41 AM

The important thing is to check for any binding after you've torqued the pump down. Some people forget to do this and the pump can eat itself when the engine is fired.
© 2024 Moparts Forums