Moparts

Drag Week 2018

Posted By: JERICOGTX

Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 02:45 PM

With only 21 days until the first day of Drag Week, who is in, and who will be coming as a spectator? Should be a great year, if all the Unlimited cars that said were coming, show up.

We get to go see some awesome tracks this year, and the drives should be brutal, yet scenic. I can't wait.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 03:22 PM

Joel got the coupe all shook down?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By J_BODY
Joel got the coupe all shook down?
laugh2
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 03:27 PM

Some hitters from the Pittsburgh area will be there
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 03:36 PM

I plan to be there, not as ready as I would like to be at this point but I have been worse off before.
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/20/18 03:54 PM

My old Super Street Challenger has been out for a few shakedown miles, and initial hits. But Dale and James Gilliland (the new owner) still have a ton of work to do.

Dale hurt the engine in the Gremlin, and has thrown all his efforts into attempting to bring the Ex Mike Crick Duster, that was owned by his buddy Michael, who passed away last year.

Both cars, by nature of their all fiberglass front ends, will be in unlimited, if they even make it at all. Five days in the eights, and finishing would be the goals. Both are nitrous assisted 572 wedges with Glides and gear vendors.

Attached picture Am5Zs9vL-1179896207 (1).jpg
Attached picture r2zmvyPF-1170855685.jpg
Attached picture imagejpeg_0(1) (1).jpg
Posted By: LA360

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/21/18 04:10 AM

It still amazes me what you guys can legally run on the street over there. We can't run anything over a 10" wide rim down here, and to do that require a full engineers report.
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/21/18 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By LA360
It still amazes me what you guys can legally run on the street over there. We can't run anything over a 10" wide rim down here, and to do that require a full engineers report.

Older vehicles here, are pretty much do what you want as long as the basics are intact...Lights, horn, turn signals, DOT tires and mufflers, and in some cases wipers.
Posted By: ross

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/21/18 01:55 PM

Didn't make it in but I will be there trying to get in.This would be my 13th year. If I don't get in I will hang and spectate.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/22/18 09:58 PM

The Hemi Coupe still hasn't been to the drag strip. Should be soon...

Drag Week axiom: the amount of time required to get a car ready for Drag Week will automatically expand to exactly the amount of time actually available, plus 6 days.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/22/18 10:37 PM

Not a Mopar but a local Friend was out testing several weeks ago and ran in the 7's. Pulled it and freshened it for Drag Week.

Untitled by John Cadamore, on Flickr
Posted By: ksj

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 02:15 AM

The stars are going to have to be in perfect alignment for me to even go for a day.Not banking on going at all.Other priorities this year.Poo happens.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By ksj
The stars are going to have to be in perfect alignment for me to even go for a day.Not banking on going at all.Other priorities this year.Poo happens.

Take care of the kid. Next year everything with be good, and the two of you can go and make some good memories together.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:36 AM

I live thru you guys that go and do this....Wish I could do this some day. Good luck, and I will be watching.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 03:43 PM

I think it may be close to the time to post the famous graph showing the participants confidence level against the time remaining...
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 03:51 PM

A few words of encouragement for those planning to go......

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock purple

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:08 PM

It probably has become a cliche, but every year that I have been there Frieburger opens the drivers meeting with something like "Welcome to world's largest collection of cars that were not running twenty-four hours ago."

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish
I plan to be there, not as ready as I would like to be at this point but I have been worse off before.

Ready to fire it up with a fresh trans tonight. Having to forgo testing tomorrow night due to other plans.

I have replaced everything behind the engine this season and I have very little street miles on it. I am going to try and make it my daily driver next week to see what falls off.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:24 PM

Always found it funny how a LOT of these cars have been apart sitting in the garage all year until time for this "street car" race.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Always found it funny how a LOT of these cars have been apart sitting in the garage all year until time for this "street car" race.

I get a kick out of that too. If I had one event on my yearly schedule I would sure be up to getting ready for it. Last years winner sold his car and started a turbo build instead of nitrous and I’m pretty sure he’s almost ready to go. And he builds other guys cars during the day.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda

Its a huge percentage that do this lol. I normally have mine together but everything I did to it fought me and I had to put it down for awhile. Then I had a good test session but wasn't comfortable with the transmissions quality of shift. Hopefully this trans has its shift together.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/23/18 07:07 PM

I have been working on mine for 5 years and it's still not ready. I suppose I'm just not dedicated enuff 80% of the time. I have a busy life and lots of interests, and 18 cars to fool around with, I'm a poster child for automotive A.D.D. So I get busy on the coupe when it gets urgent. Now I'm in a last minute thrash again. WHy do I do this again????

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 03:44 PM

It is no different than folks who take their cars apart in the Fall and fail to have them ready in the Spring. With Drag Week there is just more time to procrastinate.

And of course like the rest of the sport sometimes there is a lot of cash that needs to be rounded up, not only for the car but for the trip.

However it is the coolest automotive event I have ever been associated with and I am just a Trunk Monkey.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 03:49 PM

How do you guys plan the hotels and stuff?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 04:09 PM

I get our hotels as soon as possible after the tracks are announced. Hot Rod used to have a "headquarters" hotel list but they seemed to have quit doing that. I figure if we don't get in the rooms can always be canceled.

Others wait until they get in, others wait until the last minute, some just plan on finding a room on the road and may end up sleeping in their cars a night or two.

Some bring tents and/or sleeping bags and camp out. There was one guy that I think spent the night at the observation deck at the top of the Indy timing tower.

Motorhomes are considered support vehicles and not allowed.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 04:56 PM

Looking forward to the live feeds!!!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

I wonder if they'll stream on youtube like usual this year or motor trend on demand only.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 06:31 PM

I would be willing to bet youtube

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By Hemi_Joel
I have been working on mine for 5 years and it's still not ready. I suppose I'm just not dedicated enuff 80% of the time. I have a busy life and lots of interests, and 18 cars to fool around with, I'm a poster child for automotive A.D.D. So I get busy on the coupe when it gets urgent. Now I'm in a last minute thrash again. WHy do I do this again????

You have been slacking off, hoping your Trunk Monkey would come save you once again. Ahh living the stress free life over here. Can't wait to help load the trailer. LOL.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/24/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By 340Cuda

And of course like the rest of the sport sometimes there is a lot of cash that needs to be rounded up, not only for the car but for the trip.

Money wise, it's 5 trips in one. We have to drive 1230 miles one way just to get to Atlanta Dragway this year. That is a 2 day drive, then each day once the event starts you need a hotel room every night, and it's not like these cars get 40+mpg going to the next track. And after all that is done, we have another 1230 miles to get back home. Even as a Trunk Monkey, it flat out wears you out, and you need a couple days just to recover from the event itself, but I told Joel, as long as he goes, I will NOT miss being his Trunk Monkey.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/26/18 07:53 AM

Test hits at Tulsa tonight.

Attached picture 20180826_003146_1535261755497 (1).jpg
Posted By: jyrki

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/26/18 10:40 AM

Good luck! Have some Estonian friends there this year, with a Ford Taunus though. I happen to be in Atlanta on Sunday and will probably come to see the tech. Unfortunatle must move on in the evening.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/26/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By MoparBilly
Test hits at Tulsa tonight.

Nice!
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/26/18 02:02 PM

Good luck everybody!! Joel, at least your coupe has been drivable for months, compared to the state it was in last year prior to Drag Week.
Posted By: squirrel

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/29/18 06:07 PM

If I get this thing together in the next week, I'll take it. If not, I'll haul Plan II out to Atlanta. Either way, I'm going...just don't know if I'll be hauling a Mopar.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/29/18 06:33 PM

Tick tock tick tock

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/30/18 04:32 PM

Looking forward to seeing the new car in Atlanta!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/30/18 04:50 PM

Made a few test hits last night. Will be going out Saturday again. We leave Thursday, and will try to be in Atlanta for the Friday night test session.

Attached picture 40252616_2225789010970828_5502459435299110912_n.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/30/18 04:51 PM

Nice!!👍

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/30/18 09:15 PM

Hope to see you at Darlington.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/31/18 06:13 AM

Cool stuff Jeff!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/31/18 01:19 PM

Going to be a fun trip Jay! If all goes well, I'll get to see 4 new Drag Strips, and a few new states I've never been to.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/31/18 08:31 PM

Yup, after more than 5 years since i Started the project, I finally made it to the track. Thanks to Kevin and Jeff for all the help! I made 3 passes, none of them were full clean runs. There are issues to work out, but nothing really bad. I couldn't get the T56 Magnum to shift clean under power, their is a mystery oil leak to find and fix, and the Nut behind the wheel needs dialing in. But I'm satisfied. Nothing blew up, I didn't crash, and I have a to-do list.

I am going to remove some counterweight from the clutch and see if that helps it shift.

I was trying to use my GoPro as a data logger, filming all the gauges. For some reason, it didn't record the Innovate MTX-l a/f gauges well. It just showed a lot of flashing. Maybe the shutter speed of the camera aligns with the digital gauge in a bad way?

There sure is lot's of work yet to do before drag week, I need to get busy.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/31/18 11:41 PM

Old coupe, old hemi, clutch pedal......... drag week.

You are a brave man!! 😎

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 08/31/18 11:56 PM

Old coupe, old hemi, clutch pedal......... drag week.

You are a brave man!! 😎

I’m betting Walmart won’t stock a lot of emergency spares for that one.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 12:18 AM

There's a fine line between bravery and pure foolishness. I'm not yet sure which side of that line this absurdity sits on.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 12:26 AM

Yup, after more than 5 years since i Started the project, I finally made it to the track. Thanks to Kevin and Jeff for all the help! I made 3 passes, none of them were full clean runs. There are issues to work out, but nothing really bad. I couldn't get the T56 Magnum to shift clean under power, their is a mystery oil leak to find and fix, and the Nut behind the wheel needs dialing in. But I'm satisfied. Nothing blew up, I didn't crash, and I have a to-do list.

I am going to remove some counterweight from the clutch and see if that helps it shift.

I was trying to use my GoPro as a data logger, filming all the gauges. For some reason, it didn't record the Innovate MTX-l a/f gauges well. It just showed a lot of flashing. Maybe the shutter speed of the camera aligns with the digital gauge in a bad way?

There sure is lot's of work yet to do before drag week, I need to get busy.

I have an antique by today's standards LC1 that could data log to a laptop serial port.(told you it was antique)

Does yours have USB or Bluetooth capability to interface with a phone, tablet or laptop? I think their datalogging software was called Logworks.

Kevin

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 12:31 AM

There's a fine line between bravery and pure foolishness. I'm not yet sure which side of that line this absurdity sits on.

I think you’ll know which side you’re on with that thing in the next couple weeks.

Either way, I’m looking forward to watching it go down the track on the live feeds.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 12:44 AM

I think its crazy, but crazy and drag week go together just fine!

I still don't have a transmission in my car. I am hoping that is remedied tomorrow, and if not we will probably take the one from my Dad's car and put it in mine.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By Twostick

I have an antique by today's standards LC1 that could data log to a laptop serial port.(told you it was antique)

Does yours have USB or Bluetooth capability to interface with a phone, tablet or laptop? I think their datalogging software was called Logworks.

Kevin

I phoned Innovate to get the data logging capability of the MTX-l A/f ratio meter clarified. It comes with a serial cable that will connect it to a computer, but it will not store data. So it has to be connected to the computer while making the pass. I didn't like that idea, so I bought their #3875 pocket logger that will store and playback the A/F data without having to use a computer.
Posted By: furious70

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By Twostick

Kevin

I phoned Innovate to get the data logging capability of the MTX-l A/f ratio meter clarified. It comes with a serial cable that will connect it to a computer, but it will not store data. So it has to be connected to the computer while making the pass. I didn't like that idea, so I bought their #3875 pocket logger that will store and playback the A/F data without having to use a computer.

In my Coronet I have their analog gauge so that I could at a glance know I was ok. It's really hard to get a good ground for it and the logger though so it read off a half step or so. For a visual that's ok, just lined a mark up to it so I could be sure I was at or on the right side of 'no holes in pistons'

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/01/18 07:07 AM

you need a low voltage analog volt meter, with a fat needle that the GoPro can see smile

Great progress Joel, see you next weekend! hopefully we'll both have Hemis, but I still have a ways to go to have mine running.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/02/18 04:05 AM

Squirrel, I HOPE you can bring your Hemi! I tested again today, at an 1/8 mile track. The ET's were nothing to write home about, but it got back into the trailer under its own power after 5 passes, so that's a good thing.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/02/18 04:20 AM

great to hear that! I'm not quite that far...but it's possible I'll get mine running and driving, and bring it to Atlanta.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/02/18 04:25 AM

I can't wait to see the coupe run Joel, or the Almost Funny Car Jim.

I got a trans in today and fit the new hood.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/03/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By squirrel
I still have a ways to go to have mine running.
It is running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGhxj7jA9Y&feature=youtu.be

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/04/18 02:45 AM

yup, got it going! hopefully we can get it to drive ok, etc. Went for another little drive after fixing some stuff, found more stuff to fix. Working on the wheelie bars, fan shroud, etc right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgs5NLeeU3Q

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/04/18 02:58 AM

Sweet!!!

I am def impressed with the effort!!
Posted By: furious70

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/04/18 04:34 AM

perfect christening in the rain!
Posted By: 9secondsatellite

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/05/18 12:08 AM

My wife and I will come as spectators. we're looking forward to meeting some new racers and seeing the cars.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/05/18 05:04 AM

That is so awsome, Squirrel! beer

Update on my coupe: still working on some last minute wiring and other odds and ends. The big news: 5 years ago, I bought the rear end as an assembled package. As far as I remember, I specified 4.20 gears. So I always figured that's what it was. WHen I first drove the car on the street in JUne, I was thinking these don't feel like 4.20's. THen on the track last week for the 1st test passes, I thought it felt like it needed more gear. THis morning, a light bulb went off in my head. I went out and raised the car up on the lift, marked the driveshaft, and turned the tire. (Why didn't I ever do that before? confused ) I checked it 3 times. They are 3.70's! mad With the double overdrive in the trans, I sure don't need 3.70's on the road, and they were obviously hurting at the track. I did a bunch of calculating based on the mphs, and determined that 4.70 would be my ideal ratio. So a last minute swap to 4.56's before drag week is happening. panic
I expect it to help a lot.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/05/18 05:39 AM

Should help.You and the Trunk Monkey have fun.Wont see my smiling face.In the KC/Topeka area along the way and need anything let me know.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/05/18 07:18 PM

I'll be coming to Darlington on Tuesday so if yall need any help, let me know as far ahead of time as possible. PM me if you'd like my cell number...be glad to help if I can.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 02:25 AM

We are on our way to Atlanta. Safe travels to all that are going, and hope to see some old friends, and meet new ones.

Attached picture IMG_0322.JPG
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 02:33 AM

My buddies are leaving Friday Rod and Dale..
Rod is running his real nice black A-body
wave

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 04:06 AM

we're just about ready to go, head out in the morning...see y'all in a few days

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 04:10 AM

Excellent!!
Posted By: Scott58

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 02:10 PM

Can't wait to see both of these old Plymouths go down the track at Drag Week!

Safe travels to all!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 03:15 PM

I am ready to get the car loaded tonight. I believe I have everything except the stuff I forgot.
Posted By: Racer33

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 09:05 PM

I'm so jealous of those attending. Drag week is on my bucket list. Congratulations to those that made it this far and best of luck for next week. Looking forward to seeing the cars on the live feed. My least productive week of the year is just around the corner

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 11:28 PM

Anyone know if there will be cameras running for the test n tune the day before the official runs get underway?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 11:38 PM

I doubt it. I'll post some updates on here while it is going on. We made a stop at Moser Engineering, and picked up a new center section. Plan is to replace it in Atlanta tomorrow.

We just made it into Ohio. So far, the trip is going well.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/06/18 11:52 PM

When does this start. I might have to take my tablet to the track

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 12:10 AM

There is a Test night tomorrow, 6-midnight. Saturday the track has a bracket race, and Sunday is tech. We want to be at the front of the tech line if possible.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 12:12 AM

That is 'effen AWESONME!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 12:23 AM

Id suggest get in line Saturday night.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 05:37 AM

In 2014 I was the first car to get through tech. It wasn't as magical as I thought it would be, still just sat around and walked through the tech line all day.
Posted By: topfueldart

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 07:03 PM

Im in love with this thing, looks great. Do you have the specifics posted anywhere? Cant wait to see how it goes next week!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/07/18 07:35 PM

https://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum/bangshift/project-cars-update/1184814-65-barracuda-funny-car

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/08/18 05:02 AM

there's more info about it on the hamb, but lots of posts to sort through. I should start a thread on moparts, but I'm kind of a stranger here.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/almost-funny-awb-barracuda-funny-car-build.1087510/

we're almost to Atlanta, tomorrow will unload the car and see if we can drive it around. After changing the rear springs, and some other stuff.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/08/18 05:35 AM

there's more info about it on the hamb, but lots of posts to sort through. I should start a thread on moparts, but I'm kind of a stranger here.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/almost-funny-awb-barracuda-funny-car-build.1087510/

we're almost to Atlanta, tomorrow will unload the car and see if we can drive it around. After changing the rear springs, and some other stuff.

Sounds like a good time to stop being a stranger. Please keep us updated

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/08/18 06:17 AM

Jim, Joel and I are at the end of the bleachers, on asphalt. Plenty of room for you.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/08/18 07:42 PM

So far, testing for Joel and I has gone well. Joel made his cleanest pass to date.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 03:06 AM

I went a 10.13 today. I'm very happy about that, considering that we are just getting started.
They had a malfunction of the timing system today while I was 2nd inline for the burnout box and wearing my fire suit and helmet. Took an hour or two to get it fixed and I sat in the car too long before I got out. I was way overheated and now I'm exhausted. Hopefully I'll be good tomorrow

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 03:09 AM

Joel, how about a brief rundown of the combo?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 03:45 AM

392 Gen1 HEMI. Can't remember who made the intake, but it has 8 Holley 94 2Bbl carbs on it. Rocker arms are by Missle. Has a roller cam, and around 13:1 compression. McLeod Soft Lock clutch, and T56 trans. Rear is a Ford 9", w 4.57 gears.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By Racer33
I'm so jealous of those attending. Drag week is on my bucket list.

iagree

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By JERICOGTX
392 Gen1 HEMI. Can't remember who made the intake, but it has 8 Holley 94 2Bbl carbs on it. Rocker arms are by Missle. Has a roller cam, and around 13:1 compression. McLeod Soft Lock clutch, and T56 trans. Rear is a Ford 9", w 4.57 gears.

Stock stroke?

Racing through open or closed exhaust?

Cool combo!!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 10:17 AM

Running open headers. I can put the full exhaust on in about 5 minutes, and be ready for the street.

Not sure on the stroke, but know it has an aftermarket crank.
Posted By: grancuda

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70

I wonder if they'll stream on youtube like usual this year or motor trend on demand only.

MotorTrend onDemand only is what Freiberger posted earlier this week & its a free 14 day trial so I suppose you could cancel after Drag Week was over...

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 06:01 PM

“In theory”........ test n tune is about to begin.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 06:29 PM

Joel just ran a 10.16 @ 135mph.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 06:37 PM

Nice, good luck guys!
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 06:48 PM

Have fun! Next time Dragweek is a bit closer to home we are going to do it again,it’s a good time.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/09/18 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By grancuda
Originally Posted By Silver70

MotorTrend onDemand only is what Freiberger posted earlier this week & its a free 14 day trial so I suppose you could cancel after Drag Week was over...

[i][/i]well dam ...on another note every one be safe with the weather coming in

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 12:28 AM

We did a test run on packing the trunk. The essentials are loaded, and we are ready for tomorrow.

Attached picture IMG_0567.JPG

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 12:50 AM

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 02:22 AM

That's the way the Aussies pack!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By theraif

haha haha haha

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 03:52 AM

I think the live stream will be available at places other than MTOD. check here

https://www.hotrod.com/events/drag-week/

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 11:48 AM

So far, zero coverage for 2018! This sucks..........

Attached picture Motortrend2018.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 12:03 PM

this is where I'd be looking for information about where to find coverage.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/watch-hot-rod-drag-week-2018-track-mt-app-live-stream/
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 02:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UmNHffaj5I&feature=youtu.be

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 09:26 PM

Update from my Friends (sorry its a FORD)

Nathan Chesler
1 hr ·
We had a bad pass and only went 8.44. Decided to hit the road as its boiling out. On our way to Darlington SC. I believe we are currently 2nd in class. I'm gonna work on the tuneup a bit and Matt is gonna make a small adjustment. Should be good to go tomorrow. 252 mile trek underway in the hottest, loudest car there is lol.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 09:53 PM

Any word on how that hurricane will affect the weather in Darlington? The SC coast apparently is under a mandatory evacuation order.

Kevin
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 10:10 PM

Looks like it was cut short due to rain... but you can watch the replay on youtube.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/10/18 10:26 PM

Darlington should be OK as far as weather tomorrow. Not supposed to start seeing anything off the storm until Wednesday evening.

I'm planning on being out there in the morning...hopefully stay nearly all day, but may get called back for work due to the storm.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 03:56 AM

was watching the live feed and chat ,,,,so the new drinking was every time any one asked where/what lutz/larson ran take a shot and i think why no more road kill on youtube should take a shot also drinking
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 07:24 AM

Saving this for tomorrow.....

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 03:19 PM

Todays (Tuesday) link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTjOtqUnCe8
Posted By: GY3

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 03:45 PM

10.43 for Joel Nystrom!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Nathan Chesler
1 hr ·
We had a bad pass and only went 8.44. Decided to hit the road as its boiling out. On our way to Darlington SC. I believe we are currently 2nd in class. I'm gonna work on the tuneup a bit and Matt is gonna make a small adjustment. Should be good to go tomorrow. 252 mile trek underway in the hottest, loudest car there is lol.

They found a bad rotor yesterday on the road and made a much nicer hit today with a 7.65

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/11/18 05:25 PM

Mph picked up to 136.5
Big bog off the line and I think I know why, but can't fix it till home . Working on a crutch
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 02:50 AM

Mph picked up to 136.5
Big bog off the line and I think I know why, but can't fix it till home . Working on a crutch
It was way cool watching you motor that beast down the track. Syncing 8 carbs must require serious patience. wrench

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 05:15 AM

Brian Kuhlman with the nitro 31 Chrysler (KB hemi) is out, torched a head.

We're still in, car is not running right on the strip, but doing fine on the road trip end of it.

The weather situation is getting interesting. Hope we can make the rest of the trip ok. NC is getting a bit wacky right now.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 01:06 PM

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144053960@N06/43718514565/in/dateposted-public/

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 02:23 PM

Wednesday Day 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBaJolG0Do4

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 05:35 PM

10.17 @ 137 for Joel!

Good job!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/12/18 10:27 PM

I was there on a vacation with my family on saturday, took some pics wile walking around the hotels with my beer case. Then on sunday, I had the idea of taking pics of every car present. However, with my schedules, ability etc. only decided to take pics of mopars. Either with M drivetrain or otherwise. Probably couldn't catch even all of them. Link below..., I'm NOT a photographer. Had fun for a couple of hours meeting people and talking about their cars, maybe next year back with a car...

Dragweek 2018 pics, sat and tech day

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 01:59 AM

Great pics.You have been bitten by the DW bug.Love the pics of Doc's Camaro with the Hemi badging.That was done for Elvis Millers benefit.LOL.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Nathan Chesler
1 hr ·

Well inexperience bit my buddy in the butt with last years class winning Mustang. His 8.44 pass on Monday did some transmission damage that showed its ugly face today. Tuesdays 7.65 was a nice 2nd day but now I guess it will be trailered home. Bummer.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 03:53 AM

Thanks for the pics Jyrki!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 01:56 PM

The Mountain was not kind to a couple competitors last night...
Posted By: burdar

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 03:06 PM

THey just mentioned on the live feed that something happened to a Duster last night. On the road? Anyone know what happened?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 03:24 PM

very good pics jyrki ! thanks for sharing ! up
beer

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 03:39 PM

Day 4 Bristol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UUPBWnIBI
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 04:53 PM

been watching last few days, pretty sweet power plants crossing the lines this year.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/13/18 07:43 PM

Dale Gebhart had a wreck into the side of the mountain with the Duster he entered this year.He and his co pilot are OK. Front of the car not so much.Havent heard alot of details.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 12:01 AM

Yeah, they crunched it good from the pics I saw.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:11 AM

Billy Just had a spin in the rain, he is good and probably back on the road by now. Today's route was pretty nuts, not long but CURVY with lots of grade changes. My car has a 4.10 rear gear and I spent a lot of time in 2nd gear for climbing and engine braking.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:42 AM

Is this spinning out a regular problem? It seems to be mentioned a lot. Why not have an inexpensive set of wheels and a set of regular old street radials with tread for the street portion?
Glad to hear everyone is alright of course.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:53 AM

Big issue this year mountain driving in the rain.Alot of switchbacks and Grades of more than 8%.Alot of people dont want to use a trailer or mount 4 tires and wheels to their car.Best thing to do if you have DragRadials is to air them up to around 50PSI to narrow the tires contact are and funnel the water away.Hope this gives you some insight.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:56 AM

Some people just don't have the room for them. I have room so I swap on my pro bracket radials at the track and run my Cooper Cobras on the road sections. Its a pain to put tires on and off twice a day but when we have heavy rain like we had monday its well worth it.
Posted By: David_in_St_Croi

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 04:04 AM

I have never heard that trick with the drag radials and the narrowing the contact patch. Makes sense in a way but drag radials are still mostly slicks. Of course we live up a dirt road that would destroy a set of drag radials or slicks well before I got home so always change tires at the track.
I get the space issue, but I bring my slicks to the track and switch them out for the track, which is no different than Drag Week in that regard in terms of switching tires. I do not change front tires though, which admittedly is a big difference with one less pair of tires to deal with. Of course, I am not bringing a week's worth of spare parts and tools either, which from what I can tell is the real challenge.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 04:14 AM

Anyone know about this green RR?

Attached picture Green DW RR.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 04:49 AM

BAD340Fish can probly get more info than what I know.Belongs to one of the Castiglone(sp?) brothers from Pennsylvania.Former drag car that I beleive used to be owned by a friend who had passed away.Dont quote me though.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 05:21 AM

Total bummer.

Attached picture FB_IMG_1536894824475.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 05:42 AM

Cant wait for Billys DW 18 recap.
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 06:38 AM

Originally Posted By BBR
Total bummer.

Ugh. That did some serious damage. Glad everyone is ok.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 06:51 AM

That hurts to look at. Glad everyone is okay!

Originally Posted By BBR
Total bummer.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 10:52 AM

Originally Posted By cudadoug
Anyone know about this green RR?

What do you want to know? I know the car very well.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 01:48 PM

RPM headed RB stroker if I remember correctly. Gear vendor behind the 727. His brother is driving the yellow Challenger if I'm talking about the same car. Only looked at it in the trailer. Nice fellows.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 02:21 PM

Day 5 Commerce (Atlanta) Georgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4iRcX8By18

Also, they will be announcing the 2019 Drag Week schedule at 9 am Eastern time today for everyone interested, which is like everybody.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By jyrki
RPM headed RB stroker if I remember correctly. Gear vendor behind the 727. His brother is driving the yellow Challenger if I'm talking about the same car. Only looked at it in the trailer. Nice fellows.

440, no stroker crank. Not RPM heads. 11:1 compression, roller cam, dominator. Ladder bar rear, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears. Was a KILLER bracket car for many years in Division 5, Minnesota. Joe bought it last year, and it now resides on Long Island New York.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:05 PM

Dragweek Tracks for 2019:

Virginia Motorsports Park
Cecil County
Atco
Maryland

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By GY3
Dragweek Tracks for 2019:

Cecil County
Atco
Maryland

Wow. That’s probably the five fastest tracks in the United States 🇺🇸

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 03:37 PM

Or...... the fastest 4.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 04:14 PM

Or...... the fastest 4.

Lmao!
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 07:23 PM

Looks like I’ll be trying to sign up again!!!!
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/14/18 07:34 PM

Sounds like the rain and mountain roads made
it tough this year.. glad no one was hurt
wave

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/15/18 03:07 AM

440, no stroker crank. Not RPM heads. 11:1 compression, roller cam, dominator. Ladder bar rear, Dana 60 with 4.56 gears. Was a KILLER bracket car for many years in Division 5, Minnesota. Joe bought it last year, and it now resides on Long Island New York.

Couldn't have remembered much more wrong!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/15/18 03:58 AM

Happens. Thanks for the pics and hope you enjoyed it
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 05:20 AM

Anyone know who won the spirit of drag week award?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 07:49 AM

Originally Posted By moparpollack

This one old drunk chick and some fella with green teeth.

Actually, I think it was the guy who went to the hospital with heat stroke and severe sleep deprivation because he tried so hard and wouldn't give up. I can't remember his name.
Posted By: Leigh

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 01:42 PM

It's both sad and good to see Berry's car being used. His strategy for driving the stripe: "If in doubt, run it out." I raced him with him from 1978 on. A good racer and person.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 03:47 PM

the Spirit award went to a fellow with a Nova who blew his motor and they found a junkyard motor to replace it, stayed up all Thursday night, and he raced Friday.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By moparpollack

Sorry, I cannot remember or find the name. It was not the guy Joel is thinking of but I am sure that guy was underconsideration.

I believe the car was called Attempted Murder Nova as it was blacked out. I believe the guy is a friend of Mike Finnigan as Mike accepted the award for him and stayed with him during the adventure described below.

The guy broke an engine at Bristol, bought one from a local O'reilly store manager (who had to take it out of his car). Installed it overnight and hit the road. I think they hit the first checkpoint at like 5:00AM. They got to Atlanta in time to take a 20.00 run and finish Drag Week.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/18/18 09:11 PM

Drag week 2018 was like a cross between a trip to Disneyland and the Baton death march.

Despite the extreme heat at times, it was a great drag week for me, finally getting the HemiCoupe where it belongs: on the drag strip and on the road. The car performed very well for being new and mostly unproven. Zero breakdowns. The only repair was a blown header gasket, an easy fix for my able Trunk Monkey. I came in 4th in the Hot Rod class. There was .4 seconds separating me from the winner, so it was a close race. There is a lot more in the car, I have a good to-do list for both on track and off. I just booked the rooms for 2019!

Congrats to Tom Bailey for the hard earned wins, congrats to all who won their class, and to all who finished! And thanks to Jeff (Jerico GTX) for being a Trunk Monk extraordinaire!

I have a story to tell and pictures, but I need to recover and catch up at work before I can write it.

Attached picture end of the rainbow med.jpg

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/19/18 04:04 AM

So cool Joel! Enjoyed Jeff’s updates along the way. Things seemed to go quite well for you two.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/19/18 04:38 AM

Drag week 2018 was like a cross between a trip to Disneyland and the Baton death march.

Despite the extreme heat at times, it was a great drag week for me, finally getting the HemiCoupe where it belongs: on the drag strip and on the road. The car performed very well for being new and mostly unproven. Zero breakdowns. The only repair was a blown header gasket, an easy fix for my able Trunk Monkey. I came in 4th in the Hot Rod class. There was .4 seconds separating me from the winner, so it was a close race. There is a lot more in the car, I have a good to-do list for both on track and off. I just booked the rooms for 2019!

Congrats to Tom Bailey for the hard earned wins, congrats to all who won their class, and to all who finished! And thanks to Jeff (Jerico GTX) for being a Trunk Monk extraordinaire!

I have a story to tell and pictures, but I need to recover and catch up at work before I can write it.

I enjoyed watching your car run all week and was cheering you on from my garage!

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/19/18 04:17 PM

I’m still working my way through the day 5 replay.

Looks like the valiant hood got some action at the top end on Billy’s first pass....... don’t know if was an attachment/fastener issue or “something else”.

Also, a few pops and bangs out of his old challenger.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/20/18 07:16 PM

And......I’m still working through the day 5 replay....... but it looks like the clocks were pretty screwed up for at least some of the SE run offs.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/20/18 07:34 PM

Yes the clocks got all jacked up and they made us switch to 1/8th mile.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/20/18 07:47 PM

With a big event like this, they need to be 100% certain everything works, and have backup plans.

I got to Atlanta Dragway the friday before Drag Week, and I raced there saturday. The clocks were screwed up then. So they were aware of a problem, and they had time to fix it right, but apparently didn't. There is no excuse for that.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 03:39 PM

I finally got thru the day 5 replay.

I agree, it would have been nice if they would have addressed the issue with the timing system during the 4 days they had between day 1 and day 5.

Of the “post drag week” races they had, I enjoyed the quick 8’s and the stick shift race....... would have been better if they were 1/4 mile though(imo).

I’m amazed at how many mid-8 second passes those turbo SB guys can make in a day with no issues.

On another note, and I’m probably just being overly critical here...... but......

Not real impressed with the 2018 Demon performance, or the 797hp challenger that lohnes and Freiburger ran.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 04:02 PM

Anyone know the combo in Dean Kyle's yellow '70 cuda? Looks like he broke after day 3 I think.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 04:15 PM

With a big event like this, they need to be 100% certain everything works, and have backup plans.

I got to Atlanta Dragway the friday before Drag Week, and I raced there saturday. The clocks were screwed up then. So they were aware of a problem, and they had time to fix it right, but apparently didn't. There is no excuse for that.

I agree 100%, of the four tracks we were at Atlanta was my least favorite. Still a very nice facility, hotels were close, clean and spacious with good restrooms, but...

Another SME driver's wife heard a local talking in the timing tower and they said the clocks messed up everytime the weather turned hot.

Four or five concession stands and only one open with huge lines.

Four dollars for a bottle of water, it was two dollars Darlington. We bought a cooler and case of water for the last day and saved time, money and still have the cooler.

Except for the fact that is was slow, Bristol was our favorite.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 04:19 PM

My Two least favorite start tracks since I started participating? National Trail, and Atlanta. Both owned by the NHRA.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:05 PM

Atlanta Dragway had free water under the tower for racers, and crew. I told as many people as I could about it.

The timing issue as Joel said started on the Saturday night bracket race before Drag Week. The timers worked fine on time trials, like normal Drag Week. The issue was when the bracket race, and the timing couldn't figure out the stripe.

ZMax was a complete rip off. Bottled water for $5... Nice place, but really? ALL the tracks this year, were nice tracks I thought, or at least what little I saw of them. While it's cool to see new tracks at Drag Week, if you want to be a Class contender, you really do not have time to take much of it in. I couldn't tell you what the Darlington track looked like. Spent so little time looking down the lanes, and most of the day in the staging lanes.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:24 PM

another drag week lesson...always have at least a case of water bottles with you. I guess living in AZ like I do, it's just a natural thing to do.

I didn't have much time to think about the facilities at the various places, too busy fiddling with the car, etc. They all worked ok for me, maybe I just don't expect much?

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:31 PM

Jim, hopefully at some point you’ll share some of the issues you were having with your car that prevented it from running to its potential.
I was pretty surprised to see it put up a “10” with a run that looked as bad as it did....... it sure seems like there’s a lot left in it.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:40 PM

I had no issues with the tracks other than the timing system at Atlanta. All in all, some great facilities, and we were treated very well. We drove right in each morning with no hassle, other than getting lost trying to find our way into Bristol, with multiple entrances. I'm happy that these facilities are available. I carry my own 1 gallon jug of water and refill it at any handy faucet. No $5 water bottles for me. I ate at the hotel in the morning, and tried to grab an apple and a bagel to pack for lunch. Plus the ladies in the tower had candy, so I mooched that. So I didn't have to wait in line or pay big $ to buy any track food.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:44 PM

I don’t know how you can get the full “experience” of each track without sampling the track food.🍔🍟🥤

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 08:59 PM

I honestly didn't have time. I was either getting the car ready to race, in the staging lanes/on track, or getting the car ready for the street. Then gone. We didn't want to get to the hotel at dark:thirty every night.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 09:04 PM

Joel, I’ll be looking forward to reading your “tales from the track”, along with your plans for improvements for next year.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 11:07 PM

I honestly didn't have time. I was either getting the car ready to race, in the staging lanes/on track, or getting the car ready for the street. Then gone. We didn't want to get to the hotel at dark:thirty every night.

We did Rocky Mountain Race Week this year. My favorite part was having time to hang out at the track and not have to always be in go-go-go mode every day. Sucks to visit cool places and not even have time to soak it in.

Re: Drag Week 2018 - 09/21/18 11:10 PM

Chip, The Yellow Cuda had a Ray Barton Hemi, but I don't know much beyond that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums