Moparts

Distributor choices

Posted By: fastmark

Distributor choices - 08/19/18 01:30 PM

I am helping a friend with a hemi build. It’s an alum Indy max with stage v heads. It’s got a fuel injection system on it so we need a distributor that we can lock the timing. I’ve had good results with the PerTronix unit in my stock distributors because it avoids an external ignition box. Anybody have any suggestions on a distributor?
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Distributor choices - 08/19/18 03:34 PM

I've used locked out stock distributors, 440Source, and MSD. You're not concerned with advance, so I don't think it will be a critical choice. I do feel that a better choice would be a crank trigger, for timing accuracy, though.

Re: Distributor choices - 08/19/18 03:54 PM

This car is all show and will never see a track. Crank trigger is not needed. I wonder if the Pertronix unit will fit the 440 source distributor?
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Distributor choices - 08/19/18 06:13 PM

What type of fuel injection system is on it? You might take a look at the Holley Hyperspark distributor. Those distributors are designed for EFI and they are locked. No curve, no vacuum advance, just a pickup. Very simple and not too expensive.

Re: Distributor choices - 08/19/18 06:49 PM

It’s got a electronic converted Hillborn system. Not my choice for sure.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Distributor choices - 08/19/18 10:47 PM

What kind of signal does it need? The Hyperspark is a Hall effect pickup which is what most EFI systems like.

I assume the EFI system needs a crank signal from the distributor and then the EFI system controls the timing or is something else going on?
© 2024 Moparts Forums