Moparts

Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell?

Posted By: DusTed74

Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 09:54 PM

I just got a (Summit #820337)starter and it does not line up with my Lakewood scatter shield. I'm sure that I'm missing something. Your help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance......Ted
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 09:55 PM

What size flywheel do you have?
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 10:55 PM

Flywheel
130 tooth = 10.5"

143 tooth = 11.0"

Make sure you put the nose cone into the correct hole.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 10:56 PM

Some Lakewoods will not be able to use a 143 tooth flywheel
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 11:28 PM

Sounds like you need the adapter kit
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 11:38 PM

The Lakewood bellhousing has been a piss poor design since day one and they have never fixed it. As pointed out above you need to match the nose cone location with your flywheel size. Lakewood has a cheesy adapter bracket that may or may not fit correctly. On my car I ended up taking the whole thing to a machine shop where they modified the bellhousing so it worked. Here is what mine looked like after we were done with it.

Attached picture DSC_3720 (Large).JPG
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Sounds like you need the adapter kit

Never heard of the adapter kit. New to me.

I just swear a lot when I put my starter in. I swear at the starter, the headers, the scatter shield, the car, the weather, the dogs, the radio...and anything else I can think of and it just pops right in.

Evidently, that junk doesn't like me swearing at it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/08/18 11:46 PM

Never had starter issues with mine and my 1972 340 Duster and I even had the BIG starter back then. My big issue was getting it indicated in right. What a pain in the butt working on the ground on ramps.

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 12:08 AM

It is a 130 tooth.
Thanks.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 01:37 AM

This is for BB Lakewood scatter shield. I don't know what they do on a smallblock.

They have a bolt in cone that the starter snout pilots into. Two holes where this could go for each flywheel size. See Andy Fs picture, there is a bolt head facing the clutch fork with an empty hole next to it.

Then with the 130 tooth flywheel the top starter bolt goes through the scatter shield. But it doesn't use the lower bolt hole, it uses and adapter pin that bolts to the bellhousing lip and pilots into the lower starter mounting hole. Hoakey but it does work.

I needed these items and I had them copied and fabricated from the originals a guy had. I still have them someplace.

With the 143 tooth flywheel the starter bots directly the the scatter shield through the 2 bolt holes.

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 02:41 AM

This is exactly what I thought.
Thank you,I can get from here.

Ted
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By AndyF
The Lakewood bellhousing has been a piss poor design since day one and they have never fixed it. As pointed out above you need to match the nose cone location with your flywheel size. Lakewood has a cheesy adapter bracket that may or may not fit correctly. On my car I ended up taking the whole thing to a machine shop where they modified the bellhousing so it worked. Here is what mine looked like after we were done with it.

I doubt that would ever pass a new certification. Not a big deal if you run 11.50 or slower.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 04:38 AM

I have run Lakewood shields since the late 70's. No big deal. 143t flywheel bolts up direct. 130t flywheel, you need an adapter for the lower hole. I've used nothing more than 2 bolts and a piece of flat stock to make my own adapter. I've used a chopped off piece of 4 speed cluster shaft bearing spacer for the centering cone, with a flat washer and nut welded on the end, and then hand file the starter nose to fit.
You guys need to get a grasp on fabricating for performance/racing. If you millennials want stuff to fit off the shelf, buy a Chevy.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/09/18 08:26 PM

I must really have a dinosaur bell, made for the 143 tooth only. Has a hole drilled for starter snout and one set of holes. I'm sure the 1/4" steel has "deteriorated" over the years so it won't pass tech either.
Posted By: therocks

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/11/18 05:15 PM

Have a Lakewood in the 65.Starter fits good with the 143.I have an old Ansen in the garage that Ive thought about using.Dont know if it uses 130 or 143.Bought it for the block plate my Lakewood was missing.Rocky
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/16/18 02:40 AM

I have an old Ansen in my Savoy and it's NHRA and AHRA approved how old is that. My old Hays MK XII clutch is SEMA approved work

Gus beer
Posted By: Wedgeman

Re: Is there a good way to mount a starter into a Lakewood bell? - 08/28/18 12:07 AM

Just a silly question.....would the bell from a 400ci truck fit the same for a 440 ?....they may be cheaper
© 2024 Moparts Forums