Moparts

Early A-body alterkation or Other?

Posted By: viperblue72

Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/02/18 10:37 PM

Greetings. I am considering a aftermarket front on my 66 valiant mostly drag car.
I currently have factory 5on4 discs.
What would the weight savings be on a early a-body?
Can I run a bobs pro fab without the shock towers? Mine are already gone. Also can I keep the factory bolt pattern with the altercation? I think I would like the wider track width as my torsion bars are currently maxed just to make room for the header/tire clearance? Thoughts?
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/02/18 11:24 PM

Look at HemiDenny's stuff.

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 12:21 AM

Thanks I’m not aware of all of my options and all of the differences.
Posted By: Biginchmopar

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 12:26 AM

QA1 makes one as well.

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 12:33 AM

Isn’t qa1 just the kmember? I wouldn’t think It would save me anything on a early a if that’s all it is.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 01:05 AM

I put a Alterkation under my 65 Valiant wagon , its nice fits nice ..
Nothing wrong that I can see , except, I don't like the fact that the main square tube in it is not bent on a mandrel bender..
and, its just a bit wider then others out there

For my 67 B-Body , I bought one from Carl Gerst , if I bought another I would buy it from him .

very helpful, very knowledgeable . calls you back, and his costs less and I THINK it nicer looking

http://gerstsuspensions.com/products/

Attached picture VALOUTSIDESIDESHOT.jpg
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 02:07 AM

Have you figured the cost of a strut front end? Since your shock towers are gone, i assume you have a cage of some sort, and adapting either a strut or Mustang II would be on my list, and i have built two successful coil over/ rack and pinion front ends on 65 Darts. A long travel setup for anything slower than nines i think would be needed. Double ad justable struts are needed above a certain power level
Posted By: davesmopars

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 03:35 AM

HDK suspension
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 02:05 PM

what he said... HDK
Posted By: lancer493

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 03:26 PM

If this car is truly just a drag car my vote is a strut front end.Bite the bullet now, as I regret not going that route with my tube-chassis Lancer.
It has a fabbed a-arm coil-over set-up.With a Megablock, dana rear wheelie bars,and additonal safety equipment for performance expectations,things get heavier really fast. I am constantly working at weight reduction. Just look at how fast some of the lighter small-block cars are running,ie:pittsburgracers Duster and numerous others. High horsepower, heavy cars BREAK PARTS! This area is,regretfully, the place I should have used better judgement.
Posted By: RustyM

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 04:57 PM

We use Carl Gerst- Gerst Suspensions.
No issues, answers phone, returns phone calls, quality products.
Posted By: Blucuda413

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 06:26 PM

I'm sure you will spend almost as much going with an aftermarket front that you would spend going with struts. If you have any build skill at all you could use your stock frame rails and build your own k for your struts and rack & pinion. You would have excellent suspension at lower weight.

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/03/18 11:30 PM

Originally Posted By bigdad
I put a Alterkation under my 65 Valiant wagon , its nice fits nice ..
Nothing wrong that I can see , except, I don't like the fact that the main square tube in it is not bent on a mandrel bender..
and, its just a bit wider then others out there

For my 67 B-Body , I bought one from Carl Gerst , if I bought another I would buy it from him .

very helpful, very knowledgeable . calls you back, and his costs less and I THINK it nicer looking

http://gerstsuspensions.com/products/

Do you know the weight difference between the factory stuff and alternation?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/04/18 12:13 AM

I think it would be somewhere around 50 lbs , most of it would be the drums to disc brakes

My Belvedere drives like a go cart now, its great

Attached picture blunt2018newcombo.jpg
Posted By: dart440_72

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/04/18 03:25 AM

I have one from HemiDenny as well. Car is straight as an arrow and super stable at speed. Google HDK K members
Posted By: mopardude318

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/07/18 07:05 AM

Nothin wrong with the RMS AlterKation. Bill is an excellent guy, he answers his phone too. I usually PM him on facebook and he replies almost instantly. I've talked to him @ 10:00 at night. That's damn good service.
Posted By: dthemi

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/07/18 04:21 PM

After several other front end types used, I can say with confidence, you cannot go wrong with AlterK. They fit, they work, and you can go plenty fast on them.
Posted By: racerx

Re: Early A-body alterkation or Other? - 08/08/18 11:57 AM

Surprise....no one has mention Bob's profab, dont' he frontends for a-bodys?
© 2024 Moparts Forums