Moparts

New 4500 TBI EFI systems.....

Posted By: Dragula

New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 12:22 AM

I like these....Sombody once told me, they would never make one of these....My car was due for a full re-wiring this winter anyways. Been having all kinds of wierd stuff, and traced it to a bad coil. But that's a story for another day...I want one of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUX7-L0Ehso

Attached picture zserxfgsrsrgproxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 12:44 AM

I think I would want two of them on a tunnel ram up :devil
After waiting long enough to let some other folks do the debugging of the new systems work
I selected two Acufab 4150 dry 1150 CFM throttle bodies on the 572 C.I. pump gas street hemi motor.
It made 799.6 HP, only 1.397 HP per C.I., I wish now I had selected the bigger 4500 1400 CFM throttle bodies to insure the motor would be making over 800 HP whiney work
The right foot controls the throttle, it seems better to me to have more than enough CFM to make power than to wish I had more work shruggy
Hindsight is till better than my foresight, sometimes whiney
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 01:04 AM

I have a 4500 from ThumperDart. It starts, runs, and drives better than any other carb I have ever had. I would gladly put it up against any of these 'self tuning' throttle body kits for overall drive-ability.

And keep in mind that unless the cam is very, very mild, the idle and low speed 'self tuning' on the EFI will need to be locked out and tuned manually. If a cam with much lope will be used, then the reversions will confuse the EFI and force the manual tune. Just like a carb.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 01:06 AM

The built in data logger is a nice feature. What ignition system are you running? If you are using a distributor then you might consider switching to the Holley Hyperspark unit. That will avoid some potential RF issues and it will give you an easier way to control the ignition timing.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By DaveRS23
I have a 4500 from ThumperDart. It starts, runs, and drives better than any other carb I have ever had. I would gladly put it up against any of these 'self tuning' throttle body kits for overall drive-ability.

And keep in mind that unless the cam is very, very mild, the idle and low speed 'self tuning' on the EFI will need to be locked out and tuned manually. If a cam with much lope will be used, then the reversions will confuse the EFI and force the manual tune. Just like a carb.

I have two of his carbs....Both are excellent. But my one engine is big, and has a weird cam. Very tough to dial in.

Also not my first use of efi...
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 02:26 AM

That is pretty cool
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 02:30 AM

Thank you and so will I............. whistling
Posted By: mprhound

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 03:28 AM

Just bolted one on my car
Only driven about a half a mile, alternator was out and ran out of juice in my uncharged battery
when I firsted cranked it, idle was at 17 to 1 afr but within about 20 seconds it had it down to 13.9 to 1
On vacation now and can’t wait to get it back to play with it. Headed to Drag Week this year with it so we will see how it does

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 03:49 AM

Did you get the 4500?

I am having issues with getting my cruising AFR with my carb to a reasonable level. Tried a lot of stuff, and its not come around.

Been thinking about a pair of the eddy 800 Thunder series until I saw this. Buddy of mine mine just bolted a set on his big hemi, and they were pretty good on his combo out of the box.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 04:54 AM

We can get the carb to come around no problem just hit me up and I will see what we can do to fix whatever it's doing you don't like.........We need to play the emulsion game now and see what that does cos it's VERY eye opening.......... thumbs

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By Dragula
Did you get the 4500?

I am having issues with getting my cruising AFR with my carb to a reasonable level. Tried a lot of stuff, and its not come around.

Been thinking about a pair of the eddy 800 Thunder series until I saw this. Buddy of mine mine just bolted a set on his big hemi, and they were pretty good on his combo out of the box.

If you switch over to the Sniper you'll be surprised with how many other problems it can help you solve. Being able to push a button and download all of the sensor information is a big help in sorting stuff out.
Posted By: mprhound

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 06:45 AM

[quote=Dragula]Did you get the 4500?

Yes I got the 4500
Posted By: STEFF

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 11:13 AM

I'm willing to bet that with systems like this, Holley will stop manufacturing carburetors all together.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By STEFF
I'm willing to bet that with systems like this, Holley will stop manufacturing carburetors all together.

Or at least scale it way back. Most of the car guys I talk to don't really understand the benefits of EFI yet so it will take a few more years before it becomes accepted.

Rich was a real pioneer with this stuff so I'm sure he has a lot more stories than the rest of us. I know he converted some just by beating them at the track. Once they saw how much better EFI worked they started to switch.
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 06:01 PM

My son is REALLY wanting to put one on the Dragster. Me not so much. But I'm willing to bet he will do it. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against the carb in terms of performance on a 1000+HP BB

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 07:14 PM

WOT performance should be roughly equal if both units are in proper working condition. The advantage I see for a bracket car is that the EFI setup would probably be better around the pits and in the lane. Easier to start, easier to drive around the pits, etc. And the EFI setup would eliminate the time spent changing jets as the weather changes. The built in weather station is kind of cool too.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By STEFF

Never happen................. drive

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 11:45 PM

Originally Posted By Al_Alguire
My son is REALLY wanting to put one on the Dragster. Me not so much. But I'm willing to bet he will do it. Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against the carb in terms of performance on a 1000+HP BB

I was pretty impressed with this vid..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbHW7bHXvAk

When I got into efi back in the 90's, these systems were so manual and had so little extra functions....Now a days, a simple TBI system can do so much, its amazing....Check out the list of features, just amazing.
Posted By: mr2performance

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/24/18 11:48 PM

If anyone needs any of of the Holley efi systems, or any Holley brand part, we are direct with them and dropship everyday. Mike
mr2performance@sbcglobal.net
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 01:12 PM

That last video was pretty cool. It's amazing what all this newer stuff can do, then step over to the port injection side and the options and capabilities are almost unlimited.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 02:57 PM

I've always been an old school advocate of keeping things simple. I love my carbs, but I'm telling ya, seeing this has me really wanting to put one on my hemi. Love the simplicity of it and the fact that one component can control so many different functions that I currently have separate boxes for.
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 03:49 PM

Guess I still have bad memories of how bad TBI stuff could be to deal with on lowly stock vehicles.... although our boat engine sports one. Have always wanted port injection so I could reconfigure the intake and run a stock flat hood smile
Posted By: STEFF

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
I've always been an old school advocate of keeping things simple. I love my carbs, but I'm telling ya, seeing this has me really wanting to put one on my hemi. Love the simplicity of it and the fact that one component can control so many different functions that I currently have separate boxes for.

Totally agree! Plus, data logging related to the F.I. unit.
Posted By: WHITEDART

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 04:21 PM

This technology definitely has my attention
Posted By: BradH

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 04:25 PM

I'm following Andy's Sniper thread to see how things work for him, what he's had to deal with to make it "right", etc. Cool stuff... says the man with more carbs than fingers on one hand.
Posted By: Mark Whitener

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 04:59 PM

Be careful on those Dominator EFI's. I heard of one shop that had three. First one wouldn't run, second fairly, third wouldn't go richer than 15 to 1 at WOT...
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 05:25 PM

Well I'm sticking with the carbs for sure for now. I am not into being the 'guinea pig" and have heard similar issues from a couple folks. We were at the dyno Monday and those guys have seen similar, theyhad three Holley boxes sitting there to go back. So while I'm "intrigued" I will be in wait and see mode. Trying to hold my son at bay for now on this stuff.

As for getting around the pits. Our cars fire right up and idle with zero issues. Since they are bracket cars we rarely change jetting unless we are headed to Denver, Salt Lake or Sonoma if the weather is nice up there. Usually done before we load them up. As for the heads up car, we are still gonna stick with our beloved carb, although Alex Hayes has definitely had some impressive runs since he switched.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/25/18 11:17 PM

My EFI runs everything on my car now. I went from switches for two fans, a water pump, and a fuel pump to nothing but a starter button.

For your nitrous you would just need an arm switch, the ECU will do the rest.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 04:28 AM

Does anyone wonder what it will be like in a few years when Holley moves on from this platform and you need service parts?

Heck, look at what a guy can run into getting current production MSD components serviced.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 05:44 AM

Agree but most think EFI is the best thing around yet I see used ones for sale and hear MANY complaints so unless you're making 2000 hp and need all of the other features, carbs are here to stay and parts are EVERYWHERE.............Just like E-85, I've talked a few outta buying the electric fuel mixing robots............ boogie drive
Posted By: Twostick

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 06:22 AM

Luddites... Lol

Kevin

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 12:12 PM

Does anyone wonder what it will be like in a few years when Holley moves on from this platform and you need service parts?

Heck, look at what a guy can run into getting current production MSD components serviced.

Valid concern, especially on all these units that are potted and cannot be repaired.

If that concerns you do what I did. Buy a kit from DIYAUTOTUNE.com and assemble it yourself. Save money and have a repairable ecu because you built it.

That being said I would imagine most of the failures out there are related to poor installs. You can let the smoke out of anything if you hook it up wrong. I would imagine a charging system in an old stock mopar would cause fits for one of these systems when the voltage goes to crap with the headlights on at idle.

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 04:43 PM

I've been spending time on the Sniper forum and the biggest problem I see is that a lot of people don't understand how sensitive digital electronics are to RF noise. EFI wiring has to be protected from RF so that means resistor plugs, resistor wires, keep the ignition stuff away from the EFI wires, fly back protection on relays, etc. It is fairly simple to do it correctly but if you don't know what you don't know then you can screw stuff up.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: New 4500 TBI EFI systems..... - 07/26/18 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By AndyF
I've been spending time on the Sniper forum and the biggest problem I see is that a lot of people don't understand how sensitive digital electronics are to RF noise. EFI wiring has to be protected from RF so that means resistor plugs, resistor wires, keep the ignition stuff away from the EFI wires, fly back protection on relays, etc. It is fairly simple to do it correctly but if you don't know what you don't know then you can screw stuff up.

iagree

I had this problem with my Commander 950 using the ign pickup for a tach signal. The inside of a distributor is basically a lightning factory and my tach signal looked like a jagged ribbon 3000 RPM wide. I had to splice a shielded cable as tight to the pickup as possible to get a usable signal.

Another issue is ground differentials. If you don't know what that is, just follow the wiring instructions to the letter because if it says to power and ground a particular circuit to a specific point, there is a reason and the reason is ground differential.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums