Moparts

story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon

Posted By: theraif

story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 04:19 AM

Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 05:08 AM

Not sure what caused it to spin the tires?....Hmmm. Test and tune track prep? If it's spinning the tires like that mid track, you're asking for it. Big mistake was matting it a second time instead of giving up.

It's usually dentists in Corvettes I see do crap like that. Jump out and blame everything except the nut behind the wheel. "Couldn't have been me. I know how to drive these cars." Yeah, so does Stevie Jackson and he stuffs one in the wall once in a while when he has a dumb attack.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 08:38 AM

Is doesn't take a 15 min. video to explain this was just terrible driving. Feel bad for the guy...
Posted By: justinp61

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 09:57 AM

I think that's the same guy that posted a video of his trip to order the Demon. IIRC he's from Nashville and ordered the car from a Memphis dealer. The track looks like Beech Bend at Bowling Green.
Posted By: Sho Nuff

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 10:01 AM

Feel bad for the guy but stuff can happen.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
Is doesn't take a 15 min. video to explain this was just terrible driving.

Exactly.
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 03:00 PM

Maybe he should have left the lane assist on...

When he "peddled" it, it downshifted back into 2nd...
Posted By: CJD AUTOMOTIVE

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 03:31 PM

You guys did notice he drives a Ford truck. He is simply driving the Demon as he would a Mustang, crashing into everything. Ford owners shouldn't drive Mopars...
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By justinp61
I think that's the same guy that posted a video of his trip to order the Demon. IIRC he's from Nashville and ordered the car from a Memphis dealer. The track looks like Beech Bend at Bowling Green.
Beech Bend for sure.

Dennis
Posted By: The Shadow

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 05:27 PM

IMO letting off and braking aren't the same thing.
Shouldnt have been braking
1.56 starts to loose it and hits the brakes
Poor car
Posted By: SportF

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 05:44 PM

Agree with above. My guess is no brakes and letting off. But it is a guess. Drag racer rule, NEVER hit the gas or the brakes, UNLESS you are going straight.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 05:45 PM

Being he is a test n tuner the second that car spun that much the pass is over. Go back and address the traction issue and try again. I see a lot of these cars making passes with very few traction issues like that. Can't imagine what it would have done if he would have hit the nitrous.
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 07:33 PM

Is doesn't take a 15 min. video to explain this was just terrible driving. Feel bad for the guy...

Not me. He starts out by explaining he has all this experience and knows how to drive, analyzes all the data (here's a clue, whacking the throttle like an on/off switch is NOT pedaling it), studies the video, says "it was spinning the tires" and clearly lets it get out from under him. Then drives it down the track dragging parts and coolant all the way. And he can't figure it out.

He better have the body shop guy order two of everything because he's going to do it again.

Clearly, being able to strike the check AND drive the thing are two separate skills.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 10:19 PM

I'm sure this won't be the last vid like this we will see. More $ than brains.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/13/18 10:47 PM

I've had a lot of different Mopar drag cars from bone stock 17 second street cars to half fast(9.0 at 147 MPH in the 1/4 mile) bracket cars, I have been sideways more than once in my cars due to junk dumped on the track that the track officials didn't see it until I was sideways in third gear above 85 MPH in it shock runaway
Luckily I have not hit the guard rail or another car, so far luck
I sold one of my old foot brake Pro bracket cars with leaf springs to a friend, I bought it back several years later and that dang car would not go straight under WOT confused
I learned later he had spun it out due to the U bolts were not tight on the shock plates and it cocked the rear end pointing it sideways on the passenger side, I did learn to gently steer that car to be able to make a full pass on the first day I raced it before fixing the issue, it was a mid 11 second car that was heavy, 3750 Lbs. with me in it work
I tell all the people I help to learn drag racing is that you don't have time to stop and think when the car is doing something your not expecting, if your worried about the car doing something during the run you don't like lift your foot off the go pedal and abort that run until you know it is fixed up
I have had to pedal more than one car during runs, but I did what I needed to do automatically without thinking about it, experience can be your friend during those situations work All thanks be to God for taking care of me during those times bow up
Be safe and live to race another day thumbs
Posted By: BradH

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By CMcAllister

Not me...

Me, either.

Guess empathy for my fellow man is situational these days.
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 01:11 AM

Some people don’t have a but gyro. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you don’t have a but gyro.
Posted By: Skeptic

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 01:58 AM

I don't feel like piling on- now devil He f'd up, it happens and it's going to be a very expensive fix. Keep track of that one when it goes for sale with a "clean" Carfax.

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 02:26 AM

If it actually lasts long enough to eventually get sold laugh2
Posted By: MoparBilly

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Some people don’t have a but gyro. If you don’t know what I’m talking about, you don’t have a but gyro.

True Statement!!
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By MoparBilly
Originally Posted By TRENDZ

True Statement!!

If he has one it is not connected to his graphic display , so he wasn't paying attention to it.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By Skeptic
I don't feel like piling on- now devil He f'd up, it happens and it's going to be a very expensive fix. Keep track of that one when it goes for sale with a "clean" Carfax.

Car fax is a joke. Accidents have to be submitted, otherwise, they don’t get recorded.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 03:21 PM

Why try to be a hero? The car has already spun and he got out of it. Live to fight another day and not looking like a fool for not knowing how to drive your $80,000 car. We've all seen it, a car gets out of shape, the driver is out and back in it, then gets introduced to the wall.

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By Spaceman Spiff

Car fax is a joke. Accidents have to be submitted, otherwise, they don’t get recorded.
up That was my point entirely.
Posted By: Porter67

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 03:53 PM

It did look like a mustang wall missile.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 06:02 PM

I like the butt gyro comment, I've never heard that one before. Very true. Everybody screws up, so I'm not going to dogpile on the guy. But it does look to me like when the car first started moving right he overcorrected to the left, turning the steering wheel almost a quarter turn. Less than half that amount of movement would have probably kept him going straight down the track. But still I agree with the others, that run was over. He never should have got back in it.
Posted By: dannysbee

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/14/18 08:30 PM

The graph shows that he completely let off the throttle then stabbed it. The car was already loose and in between all this he counter steered twice and hit the brakes. Bad driver decisions. Its like I didn't lose it that time I'll try again. Just because you can write the check and talk the talk....doesn't mean you can walk the walk.

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/15/18 12:33 AM

One thing to consider is steering feel. Most modern cars have electric P/S and they have little feedback. So even if your butt dyno is well calibrated, if you can't feel where the tires are going it can be hard to correct. LX guys are welcome to bash me about how good their steering feel is. or not.
Posted By: sgcuda

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/15/18 01:17 AM

My screen is blank. Can someone please give me a usable link that I can view?
Posted By: kyhemi-dart

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/15/18 02:20 AM

I was actually at the track that night. Tough deal and everyone’s fear. Beautiful car and make it better when it comes back out! Good luck to you all
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/15/18 03:53 AM

One thing to consider is steering feel. Most modern cars have electric P/S and they have little feedback. So even if your butt dyno is well calibrated, if you can't feel where the tires are going it can be hard to correct. LX guys are welcome to bash me about how good their steering feel is. or not.

Both my Challengers had very good feel/feedback. However, they were the hardest cars to launch of anything I ever owned, and mine didn't have 800 horsepower. My SRT-8 would get loose in 3rd gear easily. I never tried to be a hero though.
Posted By: camastomcat

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/15/18 09:58 PM

I agree ^. This guy feels bad enough. One thing for certain, you don't crash a car sitting in your easy chair typing on the internet.

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/16/18 04:43 PM

And something similar that happened about 10 minutes from my house: https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2018/07/police-newly-purchased-300k-sports-car-totaled-in-crash/

Guaranteed rich idjit... probably a lawyer or doctor, knowing the neighborhood.

Empathy rating: ZERO

Humor rating: Off the scale!
Posted By: Porter67

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/17/18 12:55 AM

This was his former car...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime...iver/vi-AAA90EX

See what kinda car he hit.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/17/18 02:58 PM

The car was in 5th gear, I'd say he left it in "D"
Posted By: 6PAK70CUDA

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/20/18 06:37 AM

I only ever got out of shape once and it was due to an oil down before my run...easy answer: if you feel it going away LIFT!! abort the run. Only bad things happen if you get back into it.
Some people have to learn the hard way though...
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/20/18 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By CJD AUTOMOTIVE
You guys did notice he drives a Ford truck. He is simply driving the Demon as he would a Mustang, crashing into everything. Ford owners shouldn't drive Mopars...

Um, no, he's driving a Ram. He also has a 1000hp Hellcat Charger. He's set a few records with the Demon. So he actually owns zero Fords.
But carry on.
https://youtu.be/5xII1u-cYgQ
Posted By: OhioMopar

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/20/18 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By camastomcat

I agree ^. This guy feels bad enough. One thing for certain, you don't crash a car sitting in your easy chair typing on the internet.

iagree
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/21/18 02:48 AM

I bet it wasn't a prep issue either. Beech Bend is always on point
Posted By: BobR

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/23/18 07:52 PM

Most Demons will never get driven on the dragstrip. I congratulate the guy for trying.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/24/18 03:30 PM

My big takeaway after watching the video is......

Mrs. Mush is pretty easy on the eyes grin

As for the run itself, by watching the tach and listening to the audio it was clear to me the car was never really hooked up right from the start.

Looks like he’s not going to let this incident keep him from going back....... be interesting to see what happens in the future with it.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/24/18 04:50 PM

He's on the right track...ripped off one of those godawful fender flares.
Posted By: Runner

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/24/18 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
He's on the right track...ripped off one of those godawful fender flares.

i couldnt agree more

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/24/18 11:27 PM

I’ll take one of those cars with the ugly fender flairs if you are giving one away.

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/24/18 11:46 PM

I like the flares... Maybe I'll add some to my cuda work
Posted By: RapidusMaximus

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/25/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By BobR
Most Demons will never get driven on the dragstrip. I congratulate the guy for trying.

X2... I have been following the guy for awhile, he definitely beats on his stuff, no garage queens. So a fast car got away from him, if a fast car (or not so fast) has never gotten out from under you it's probably because you weren't leaning on it hard enough...sure you hope with tons of seat time and a "butt gyro" you know exactly when to get out of it...but...every now and then....stuff happens. eek runaway biggrin

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/25/18 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

Looks like he’s not going to let this incident keep him from going back....... be interesting to see what happens in the future with it.

Persistence is a good trait, but it needs to be paired with the ability to learn from one's mistakes. I usually learn things the hard way, unfortunately, so one without the other is a recipe for self-inflicted panic .

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/25/18 05:38 PM

Been there done that but like I said before his pass should have been aborted long before he lost it. Broken oil line hit me on a quick 16 qualifying pass right before the 1/8 mile traps. Got it slowed from around 125 mph but when it touched the guardrail a fiberglass body strut went trough a new slick and with the short Daytona wheelbase put her on its roof. Slide about a 1/2 mile like a turtle after an ice storm.
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/30/18 07:34 PM

I seen the vid back when it happend. And he has comment on it a few differnt times....one of his comments were. One rear tire was spinning twice the speed the front tires....and one rear tire was even spinning twice as fast as the opposite rear. How does that happen unless there was something wet/slick on the track
Posted By: DusterDave

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/30/18 09:55 PM

The guy has a Demon, a Hellcat and a hot wife. No need to feel bad for him!
Posted By: TRENDZ

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/30/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By toplescuda
I seen the vid back when it happend. And he has comment on it a few differnt times....one of his comments were. One rear tire was spinning twice the speed the front tires....and one rear tire was even spinning twice as fast as the opposite rear. How does that happen unless there was something wet/slick on the track

If you have 3 tires rolling at the same speed, the one without traction wont influence any directional change. Try a “one wheelie peely” with an open rear end. No sideways action. It would be a different story with a spool car and a broken axle. That will shoot you straight across the track.
The declaration of double wheel speed on one side indicates that the car has a diff, and the car is not being propelled when that happens. Just watch “my cousin Vinnie”😀

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/31/18 01:06 AM

Originally Posted By DusterDave
The guy has a Demon, a Hellcat and a hot wife. No need to feel bad for him!

Not only that, this is a fairly easy to replace car if it had came to that... it's not like it was some project he spent countless hours building.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: story of wreck 2018 Dodge Demon - 07/31/18 02:35 AM

Poking around the net I see a Hennessy Demon went 9.14@152.
The race to the 8’s is on.
© 2024 Moparts Forums