Moparts

Fluttering in high gear

Posted By: Derrick Payne

Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 05:28 AM

I put a big block in my duster that the motor had been setting for a few years and it’s goes to fluttering at higher rpm’s in high gear I was wondering if the value springs would be the problem
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 06:04 AM

If it only does it in high gear, I’d look at the ignition system 1st. Fuel delivery 2nd. My experience is that Valve springs will create more of an rpm limit feel, with a backfiring condition.
twocents
Posted By: skrews

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 08:05 AM

^ Yep valve spring will show up at same RPM in every gear, at least has been my experience.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By Derrick Payne
I put a big block in my duster that the motor had been setting for a few years and it’s goes to fluttering at higher rpm’s in high gear I was wondering if the value springs would be the problem

is this at wide open throttle or part throttle cruising?

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 08:05 PM

Wide open

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 08:14 PM

It’s got a new fuel system, plugs and plug wires, distributor, took the carb and msd ignition off another car know nothing is wrong with them put a crank trigger on it and nothing so far has helped it.
Does good 1st to 2nd shift, does it sometimes in the higher rpm’s in 2nd, but always does it in 3rd I shift on 6600 just goes to about 6000 in 3rd and levels off put a little bit then falls back and started pulling again it ain’t a missing more like fluttering or surging
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 08:26 PM

Sure sounds like a fuel issue. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge you can see going down the track?

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/12/18 11:06 PM

Running two new Holley black fuel pumps have the presure from 7lbs to 15 and no difference don’t have the gauge where I can watch it down track though
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/13/18 02:10 AM

A sure fire way to test the fuel system for adequate fuel delivery is to jet the carb. up one or two steps at a time until the 1/4 MPH slows down, if you can't do that you don't have enough fuel delivery scope
This is a very common problem on our Mopar production muscle cars with stock fuel pickups in the tank and stock fuel lines from the tank to the front of the car scope
I would set the pressure between 7.5 and 9.5 lbs. with a Holley carb.(not above 7.5 lbs high on a Carter or Eddy carb tsk) with .110 needles and seats and jet it up until you find out what you need to know up scope
IHTHs thumbs
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/13/18 08:29 AM

Sounds like it may be lean. It has the most load on it when you say the problem is happening. Check that your plug gap isn't too wide. Say .040 max.
Posted By: FurryStump

Re: Fluttering in high gear - 07/13/18 05:14 PM

What lifter? Hyd/solId?
© 2024 Moparts Forums